Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

How many songs make a corrupt database

So, I've been reading a lot of posts about Rekordbox crashing. It seems like one popular theory is that there are files that are "bad" and they need to be scanned and fixed. My question is how many "bad files" does it takes to have a corrupt database and make the software un-useable???

I have about 30,000 songs and I would bet that I have a bunch of what Rekordbox considers "bad" files. I've used the exact same files in Virtual DJ, PCDJ, and Serato without the whole thing crashing every 2 hours!!!! Why does Rekordbox become so unstable if there is a "bad file"? Can't the developers make it so the software just skips that file and tags it as bad instead of compromising the stability of the software?????

Thanks!

Mike

Mike Edwards

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

6 commenti

It takes 1 corrupt file to damage the database.

It would be best to scan those tracks with MP3val for Windows or MP3 Scan+Repair for Mac, before importing them into Rekordbox.

It's not that Rekordbox becomes unstable, it is the database that becomes corrupt and will not open within Rekordbox which causes it to close.

Many damaged files cannot be opened let alone it only being Rekordbox. However, it has been requested to the engineers that Rekordbox tag the corrupt file and continue to operate.

Rekordbox is more or less suppose to be an aid to DJ'ing, not exactly hold all of your tracks from your complete collection. It is capable of holding library, but recommended to only import and use your most commonly used and most recent tracks. However this isn't always the case as some DJ's do need all of their tracks with them at certain gigs.

So it isn't completely necessary to import all 30K of your tracks, but if you will need all of them once in a while for different gigs such as weddings, stag and doe's, house parties... etc. then it would be necessary to import everything. It will just take a while, and I would like to advise you to do it in checkpoints as Rekordbox will use your RAM up and your computer may begin to slow. Try a few hundred at a time, let all the analyzing complete, close Rekordbox, free up some of your RAM with an app or by rebooting, then repeat.

Thanks for your feedback and the next Rekordbox is in the verification process at the moment and will hopefully be released soon. :)

Foster 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

This brings me to an interesting question, as I have a very large music collection and want to make as much use of this and have rekordbox know all the stuff I'll likely need/be asked for without a doubt...

Is there any published limit about the number of tracks the database can safely store knowledge of that has been seen?

Vince Wilton 0 voti

@Vince > I've seen/heard of some +30,000 databases so far. (Possibly an 80,000 but not sure). How many files do you have in your library collection?

Foster 0 voti

@Vince > Short answer to your question, no. I've seen very large databases and those with them only reported intermittent problems that was usually of their own doing - moving / deleting tracks etc. As Foster suggests, import a few at a time as a corrupt file could terminate the import procedure.

Gavin 0 voti

@Vince > Approximately databases with 65,000 files or more cause issues. However, this has been rectified with the latest release of rekordbox (1.5.2).

Gavin 0 voti

Japan has a database with 300,000 songs (!!!!), it's not the number of songs which cause issues, it's the songs themselves.  The only thing you'll notice with large databases is they're slower.

Pulse 0 voti