Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Segui

The Basics of any -flexible- workflow...(pleaze! .M3U ^^)

So, here I am. Arrived in the time of Rekordbox. Version 3.0 even, with a lot of fuzz in the '3'!

After three years of using Scratch Live and about five years of finding digital solutions the very first thing I discovered it was going to be hell to keep good track of my collection. The vinyl was in many ways much more manageable but I'm not the kind of guy that resists against progress. I rather be part of it so I started working things out. And one of the first -flexible- things about the digital era to me, were the many different hardwarez to control them. Each of them with their own specifics and each of them with their own presentation of the info I need to recover my tracks at a gig.

Let's skip the whole development I and my collection went through and start right at the end:

• I now store my tracks centrally in one folder where it is divided in processed tracks and tracks that just came in.

• Mixed in Key scans the new tracks and ads the key before the track name. No need to in Scratch but i do not drag my scratch everywhere anymore since ID# can be read and displayed properly.

• My central application sees the new tracks coming in and automatically renames the files. Track name (from the ID3 tag with the added key) first because on a gig I don't care about the artist, I want to know the track I'll be playing and the older CDJ's and CD players in general have the annoying feature of scrolling through your file names.

• In the process the files are moved from the 'new' folder to the 'processed' folder.

• Mean while I create M3U playlists also centrally stored on a different drive. Synced with Onedrive these days. My Drive name and folderstructure is the same on my network as it is on my Laptop so simply syncing the folders (and AppData folders from Scratch and my Music app) gives me the same environment portable as it does at home.

• From my Music app I sync the playlists to external devices. For starters my phone (or your phone, iphone/android no problem) I have set different name tag formats for different devices to make everything more readable and therefore manageable. The phone thing is a must have to 'know' my music. That's where i listen and choose

• Then I have an open source app to sync everything into Serato's library. Ready to roll....

• And because pioneer is doing so well in creating the perfect play tools my 32GB USB sticks are formatted especially for the use of them. And now I bought two CDJ900NXS-es

I am so sorry to find out that the last thing screws up everything I have worked for. Because now I HAVE to buy an iPhone and a Macintosh computer and laptop and storage for which I have not the money! It would be the only way to copy my workflow and it would be much less flexible all of a sudden. Exchange between brands is not flexibility. It's just expensive.

So now there may be two solutions:

1. I step up to the plate, buy a new SSL so I get SeratoDJ and move on with the Serato people who now connect closely with the great play-functionality of the pioneer people...................OR:

2. Please help me out so I can actually really import .m3u playlists in Rekordbox. Can we find a way to get this done? I'm not a developer but I happen to be a media workflow consultant in video. We have the centralized location thing so well in order. I don't mind helping pioneer people (artists as well as the company men) to get their systems to work for them instead of the other way around. But I need a way to either do everything with every device from rekordbox, or have rekordbox connect to a more flexible streaming media player and organizer. Mine is called Media monkey and it really has all that functionality.

Just maybe, someone could develop an addon for media monkey that exports it's library in the right XML format for recordbox. But i buy your stuff because I want to play. Not because I want to solve administrative and technical issues....

Pleaze...........M3U?

ShonkaiDJ

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

5 commenti

Well, very strange result in my honest opinion but I am no longer lost in my workflow. I have everything working in Rekordbox 2.0.3.

1. I discovered a plugin for my general mediaplayer to export to iTunes. Recordbox 3.0 cannot read that exported library but Recordbox 2.0.3 does (?).

2. After doing a clean install of Rekordbox 3.0 it still would not import my .m3u playlists. So (with 3.0 installed) I reinstalled 2.0.3. that now reads my whole library and represents my playlists exactly how I need it to, AND it imports my playlists into it's own library perfectly.

Is there any information I can give @ KUVO or Pioneer to get it to work in 3.0 as well as it did in the earlier version?

At least I am very happy to be able to start using my new CDJ900NXS's without the trouble of recreating my playlists by searching them track by track. That would have been quite impossible even if  'drag and drop' sounds so very simple.

I also missed the fact that the CDJ900NXS would not be able to connect to Scratch Live as a HID. If Rekordbox works the way 2.0.3 does now, I will no longer need Scratch Live in my workflow. It used to be the fasted way to prepare for a gig.

ShonkaiDJ 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

In http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/80424673-3-0-Sync-manager-checking-playlist-takes-a-long-time-to-load and http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/82814453-Why-does-my-filemamanagement-only-work-in-version-2-0-3-and-not-in-version-3-0- the problems mentioned above are taken care of. The request for proper .m3u import is not a real issue I noticed when I started working with the older version so it seems pioneer is eager to get it to work in the same way in 3.0. Therefore this thread/ question seems answered.

ShonkaiDJ 0 voti

O....and Media monkey already has two plugins that serve my purpose. One creates an iTunes .xml (readable in iTunes, a program I will never use until I buy a Mac, but tested and flawless) and then updates it every hour or on start up. The other one exports playlists to .xml. This connects my workflow to Recordbox 2.0.3 seamlessly. So no call for more flexibility at this time.

ShonkaiDJ 0 voti

Ok. The above may have been a very positive way of looking at a world like it is opening up strangers while it is actually closing down.The earlier versions of Rekordbox would accept a very simple .m3u format to be imported. That format would look like this:

[ M:\Music<genre><Artist><trackname.artis.mp3>

M:\Music<genre><Artist><trackname.artis.mp3>]

At this time I need to import it with version 2.2.4. to work with it in version 3.0.1. One would say that it couldn't be any easier. Nevertheless something in version 3.0.1 has changed in such way that a simple format like this doesn't work anymore. I would very much like to know what is missing or demanded in the new rekordbox to make a .m3u playlist being imported. I do understand that there may be differenses in .m3u formats but what I don't understand is how something as simple as a UNC path refering to a disk letter without any other information in headers or footers can no longer be allowed to be imported.

Is there some iTunes specs it needs? I wouldn't be surprised. It would be very much in the line of me needing to buy Apple devices to work out my playlists on the phone.

ShonkaiDJ 0 voti