Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

problems with CDJ's & TRAKTOR

im having a few issues here , i connect the cdj 2000's individually to my laptop with usb , 1st problem is both decks are controlled by a single channel , meaning only one channel controls the volume , highs . lows etc ... how can i assign each deck a seperate channel ?  

2nd problem , this i've had with controllers as well & i think it is the software . wen i press the sync button & set a cue point & then press play , it lags and doesnt start wen i want it to , but if i take sync off , then it starts normally . this isn't a problem with traktor pro 1 but it is a problem in traktor scratch 2 .

michael cardona

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

36 commenti

Traktor does not have Advanced HID support yet.  That explains the laggy performance.

Fuse Promote 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Fuse Promote is correct.. the laggy part is probably because there is no Advanced HID support for the 900/2000s yet.. 

Benno Revelli 0 voti

i'm not so sure that the lag is just cause by the lack of advanced HID in this case as the original poster says it is ok when sync is off.

my guess is that you also have quantise turned on also and this is causing the slight lag when sync is engaged as traktor is quantising to the inbuilt clock.

advanced HID would be great though, serato have nailed it, it seems. shame NI haven't as i'd buy traktor immediately.

Phil 0 voti

i see , i have been looking , but how would i turn quantize off ?

its also not just with cdjs its with controllers too .

michael cardona 0 voti

at the top of the screen, under the main output dial, there are two buttons 'Q' and 'S' - these are the quantise and snap buttons.
turn them both off and see if your lag issue goes away when sync is engaged - i think it will.

Phil 0 voti

i found that the snap & quantize were never on ! , i turned them on to see if it would have any effect & it didnt .

i dont understand what the problem is , again im using traktor sratch pro 2 with no timecode control just using cdj's as controllers & having this problem .

i dont have this problem using traktor pro 1 .

any other suggestions ?

michael cardona 0 voti

bugger, i thought i'd solved it for you.

if it works with sync off, keep it off maybe?

it must be lack of advanced HID then. NI have recently said that they are looking to implement it but have not said when.

Phil 0 voti

well thats what im doing now is just keeping it off , but the whole point is to fix it so that i can keep it on u kno .

& thats weird that it wouldnt have HID support because that would mean traktor pro 1 does have HID support ?

michael cardona 0 voti

t2 and t1 both have HID support, it's the advanced HID mode that traktor doesn't support yet.

serato have implemented advanced HID mode, check some of the youtube videos to see how awesome it is. and lag free.

have you solved your first problem yet? i think you need to create an aggregate soundcard with both your cdjs so traktor can see both decks. if you're on a mac, pioneer just released a free tool to do this for you earlier this week.

Phil 0 voti

but why does this problem happen in T2 but not T1 ?

& yes i just downloaded the tool . haven't tried it yet but we'll see what happens soon .

michael cardona 0 voti

Michael, could the problem for the 2 CDJ's assigning the separately be creating an "Aggregate Audio Device" if you are using a Mac?

If you are using a Mac and have not done this or do not know what I'm talking about, please attempt this:

Download the "CDJ Aggregator" software for Mac via the "Firmware, Drivers & Software" section on these forums.

CDJ Aggregator VERION 1.0:

Plug in all CDJ's and DJM-900 Nexus (if applicable) via USB cables and power them on. Run CDJ Aggregator. All USB connected CDJ's will appear as a single aggregate device under the name "Pioneer CDJ", click "OK" to close window.

Run Traktor, in Traktor Preferences select "Audio Setup" and choose the "Pioneer CDJ" aggregate device you created as the "Audio Device".

Proceed to "Output Routing" on the left panel, and select "Output Channel A" L: Front Left, R: Front Right, and "Output Channel B" L: Pioneer CDJ Out 2, R: Pioneer CDJ Out 3, if not done so already.

Hope this helps.

Foster 0 voti

thank you Foster , that will help alot when i setup :).

now if i only i could get the darn SYNC to work properly .

michael cardona 0 voti

No problem Michael. I hope it helps

What "SYNC" are you referring to?

Is it the "Key Lock" feature in Traktor perhaps?

Foster 0 voti

no i mean the actual SYNC feature in traktor that automatically keeps the tracks in sync .

when i have it ON & set a cue point , it lags when i press play or in other words there is a delay when i press the play button . but this doesn't occur when i take the SYNC feature off . it also doesn't happen in traktor pro 1 .

thats the big issue i am having Foster .

michael cardona 0 voti

Oh that "SYNC" feature! lol Sorry, I completely forgot about that! Been a over 5 years and back to Traktor DJ Studio 3 when I only used a computer to use that! lol

Hmm, that's odd it's acting up when Traktor Pro 1 didn't... Have you notified NI on their forums?

A little bypass for this is to just just use your tempo faders on your CDJ's and make sure you set them as close as possible (sometimes you have to play with it and go way past it quickly then back really quickly in the attempt to get it to change by 0.01% or what ever the increments are), then when you get them as close as possible press play on the beat without using the "SYNC" and just lightly spin your platter to line up the tracks. When you get both of the "Phase Meters" lined up and in sync, then the tracks should be matched and hopefully they don't come out of time too fast. But if they do, it's just a little manoeuvre of the platter the get them back in sync manually.

Hope that helps. :)

Foster 0 voti

it is odd isn't it ?

do you think it has anything to do with the fact that its traktor SCRATCH ?

& yes right now i am just adjusting the tempo manually , but i would prefer for the SYNC to be on without having to worry about it skipping & lagging .

i think i'll go have a look at the NI forums see if i can get any answers .

michael cardona 0 voti

I don't know, it depends.

Do you have the Scratch functionality enabled? Or have you disabled that part?

Are you using timecode CD's or the USB functions?

Anything over on NI forums as well?

Foster 0 voti

i have the scratch disabled . no timecode at all. just plugged in as midi controller on my laptop .

michael cardona 0 voti

I highly doubt it because it's Traktor Scratch because Traktor Scratch Pro is the exact same software as Traktor Pro just with scratch control on it. No differences there.

To be honest, I like using rekordbox. I like it way better than Traktor or any other type of software, but yeah I can understand if you like Traktor better because of it's unique features and differences. The main thing I like about rekordbox though, is no lag. lol Won't be any lag at all. :)

As for the Traktor Pro 2 issues, you should start a thread on the NI forums as it's most likely not a Pioneer software issue on the CDJ's.

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 voti

i'm running the cdjs as controllers with traktor 2 (albeit the demo at the moment) with no lag issues. the players work really with traktor - it's just the same as using cds/usb stick, although they'd be a lot better with advanced HID implemented like serato.

i want to like rekordbox more but i'm finding traktor to be less of a frustrating experience.

• the master tempo works and sounds great, no more trainwrecks, no jumping when turning MT on.

• quantised loops that stay in time properly

• hot cues & loops that automatically load with each track and are also quantised

• no track errors or deck freezing issues

• the midi clock sync with my new allen & heath DB4 effectively gives me quantised effects via the mixer

i'm seriously considering jumping ship, its taking too long for pioneer to sort these things out

Phil 0 voti

@ Phil

What version of demo are you running? It could be a different version than Michael is running.

Hmm... rekordbox should do most of the no problem with the new updates except I see there are still MT issues. Personally I haven't have any MT jumps or train wrecks, just a bit slow changing the pitch of the track and that's it.

Quantizing should work good as long as you analyze the tracks properly with rb. Don't Hot Cues load with rb as well??

I guess I'm lucky with the no track errors or decks freezing, but the new 4.0.4 is pretty great and has very few bugs. Maybe give rb another try if you want. But continue to use Traktor if you think you'll be let down and waste your time. lol

I think they'll have it set right in another update or 2, but yes I understand it's taken some time.

Hopefully we don't lose you as I feel we need more rb supporters when it gets going the way it should! :)

Foster 0 voti

the demo is the latest version i think, 2.0.3

i think i'm just having an 'affair' with traktor and will come back round to RB, i'd prefer to be not using a computer in all honesty. Master tempo isn't really a RB issue anyway, i do hope it gets better - my new mixer has a much better sound quality and those MT issues just sound more noticeable now.

no, hot cues don't autoload yet and aren't quantised. i hope these get looked at in a future update.

you're right though, i'm not going to abandon RB just yet - i've invested a fair bit of time organising my music. lets see how things go!

i've not had the errors or freezing either but they do concern me.

Phil 0 voti

Haha an affair with Mrs. Traktor. Hmm is she a little country by any chance? lol

Yeah that's the entire reason I love rekordbox as well! Getting away from the computer and using the gear for what it's intended to do.

Yeah MT is a few tweeks in the firmware unfortunately. I hope it get's on track soon though. I don't need it, but it's nice to have just to know I'm covered. lol

Dang, I'll have to look into the Hot Cues thing when I'm back with my gear for sure!

Good to hear man. Its kinks will be worked out in the future. :)

Foster 0 voti

@Phil, I just got a DB4 - bloody awesome mixer. Sadly my main deciding factor in buying was my refusal to buy Pioneer after all the problems on the CDJ2000 - MT is pooh and always will be as far as I can tell. I just can't seem to get a rick solid mix with MT on, but no problem with it off. RekordBox is also lacking in a few features and I find it's analysis of tracks is always off (start marker in wrong place etc).. However, the CDJ2000s linked to a DB4 and Traktor is pretty awesome as you've found out. Now if RB would take my Traktor tracks with all the cue points I've saved and dump them on a USB stick so I can either play native on the CDJ or on Traktor without having to enter my cue points twice, that would be genius.

Back to the original thread - I haven't had a problem with HID mode in Traktor Pro 2 - everything seems to just work and I'm on firmware 4.04.. I'll have to play around a little more to see if I can notice anything. 

Will K 0 voti

@ Phil

Correct, Hot Cues do not work on the 200's with rekordbox at this time. However... the "Memory" buttons do work. 

My suggestion is to set a "Memory Cue" on your tracks where you would like the Hot Cues to be. Then when you load the track to your 2000 you can quickly hit the "Cue/Loop - Call" button to get to the points you need.

I program my tracks with "Memory Cues" and "Hot Cues" on the first beat to ensure I'm ready to go when loading a track, and in hopes the "Hot Cues" will take into effect soon. ;)

Take care,

Foster

Foster 0 voti

hot cue's do work - you just need to manually recall them by pressing the 'rec/call' button for a few seconds every time you load up a track. it'd be much better if they autoloaded with each track and even better if they were quantised.

Phil 0 voti

Hi all, for those using Traktor, CDJ2000's and a DB4 - I have the same set up but I keep going back to Rekordbox because using Traktor just seems to sequenced and the feel of mixes reflects this - have you had similar obervations or is it just me ?

I love playing with RB, my 2000]'s and DB4 - it's more fun and feels less like cheating - do you know what I mean?

Paulm72 0 voti

I don't find much validity in the age-old "cheating" arguments.  The only thing that matters is what comes out of the speakers.  I couldn't care less about how the DJ makes that happen, as long as the music is good.  Too many people get their underwear in a bunch over beatmatching manually, as if it makes them God because they think they are better at it than anyone else in the world.  It's frankly pathetic, because beatmatching isn't something special.  It's fundamental.  It's like patting yourself on the back for breathing.

That said, if you find you are less inspired while using software, then that is a valid argument... because it will probably be evident in the music.

Fuse Promote 0 voti

YES i find it less inspiring but if you read my questions further I was looking for feedback on mixes coming out too sequenced using Traktor It loses it's free flowing feel and part of the energy -

Take Sasha's recent usage of Traktor - the mix he did at the Womb recently illustrates what i'm talking about it just lacked something and felt too linear. 

Like I said though it might be me hence why I asked the question ?

Paulm72 0 voti

I agree the Womb set was boring, but I blame the music itself and not the hardware.  They were just boring tracks.  Maybe it sounded better in the club?

When Sasha began using Ableton Live, I think his sets were a bit disjointed.  But he eventually got more proficient with the software, and got a controller that worked for him.... and I saw him play an incredible set at Halloween 2007 in Altanta.  He has since given up Ableton Live for the CDJ-2000s and Rekordbox, and more recently Traktor Pro 2, but I have yet to hear a set from him since that compared to the one in Atlanta in '07.  But for me, it's just because the music isn't doing it for me....   plus, then venues haven't been so great the last few times I seen him.  It needs to be a smaller club environment, with a good sound system.  Big clubs, or worse yet stadiums, just don't work the same.

Fuse Promote 0 voti