Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

9 follower Segui

[SOLVED] CDJ 900 - Fix Broken Usb Port

today i Was disconnecting my Cdjs 900 For a Cleaning session LOL   , when i Disconected the Back Usb port , a little black piece falls from it

I'm afraid that it will cost me Lot of money ( That i dont really have right know ) if i bring my unit to the Pioneer center t o repair it

How i can i Fix this Problem

Is glue a Solution ?

Does the Warranty Cover this Problems ?

Please Reply

X_Indamix_X

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

27 commenti

@Indamix > I'm having a little trouble seeing that picture. Which piece exactly is missing? Does it affect the USB port connection or does everything still function as normal?

Gavin 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

You should definately get it repaired. So don't glue it yourself.

Remember that buying a new one will cost a lot more than getting it fixed. 

djAzid 0 voti

I've seen bad cables rip apart USB ports; be sure to check your cables aren't damaged after having the unit repaired.

Pulse 0 voti

The Usb port still working after that , but its loose

X_Indamix_X 0 voti

Happened to mine less than 2 months after I got them. I tried to get where I bought them to exchange them but they would not... I have not purchased any other products from them since. I was told I could send them in to be repaired but that it could take up to 8 weeks to get them back. I DJ 4 nights a week and could not have my decks out that long. I still have been using HID they seem to be working. Once they stop working they will be on Ebay and I won't be buying Pioneer again. I have owned 20k worth of Pioneer Products, this is the most disappointed that I have ever been with them. I have been practicing with my 1200's daily since I expect they won't work in HID mode much longer... Sad story but true...

DTellez 0 voti

@DTellez > Sorry to hear you had an issue with your LAN port - its a shame that this problem would discourage you from ever buying Pioneer gear again. Have you tried asking the store would they provide you with other units while yours are being repaired?

Gavin 0 voti

@Jessica > Thanks for trying to help but we cannot encourage users to try to fix the USB port by themselves, particularly if the CDJ is within warranty. The user risks further damaging the unit or damaging themselves.

Gavin 0 voti

I just encountered the exact same problem.  My players are only 2 months old.  Could this be a defect in the** 900's?**  Any solutions besides going to buy a new one or sending the CDJ out for repairs that could take weeks.  I spin 6 days a week.  Has anyone tried reparing it themselves?  Help!!!!

Duhamel 0 voti

@Duhamel > You should contact a local repair shop to see if they'll provide you with a loaner or a rental during the repair period.

Pulse 0 voti

If your CDj's are out of  warranty its pretty easy to get a local tech to upgrade the B type USB plug. I do it my self, but its not hard for anyone with good PCB repair skills. I looked for USB plugs on line with a very high life rating (number of times of plugging in).. got a few from KYCON.

Also make sure you have good USB leads... cheap ones can damage the plug.

Also.. if you are using a DJ coffin you might find the USB lead is squashed in the back.. causing stress on the plug. A well placed cable tie can sort this out. If you can keep the lead plugged in it will lengthen the life of the connector as long as its secured well.

Jared 0 voti

The 900's are flawed.  I sent mine out for repair and took 2 months to get back.  I bought super high quality cables and it broke again.  Looking at other players now.

Duhamel 0 voti

I have a similar problem with my CDJ900. The rear USB port broke off completely and detached itself from the board. I took it in for repairs and the tech showed me the damage and how it is impossible to fix it unless I buy a new $300 board. He explained that the USB ports used on these players are extremely delicate becayse there is no bracket holding them in place. The rear USB port literally has nothing holding it other than the fiberglass board it is "attached" to. The build quality is a complete joke, and after spending $1300 im not sure im prepared to shell out another $300 for a board with the same design flaw... then pay someone to install it. 

Pioneer you make top of the line mixers, I stand by them 100% but these CDJ's do not warrant their price tag. The CDJs feel cheap on the outside one could accept that provided they were made to last and perform. After seeing the inside of one of these things however... Im sorry but you may have lost a long term customer. :( 

Michael Dandurand 0 voti

Its common even with top brands for their 2nd and 3rd level products to have a few weaknesses  You don't need to abolish the whole brand just due to one silly f-up on one product. It's likely the CDJ 900 was basically developed to form a price difference from the 2000... which means cutting out costs to make it affordable to the lower price market. Unfortunately this hasn't gone well for the USB port.

I repair CDJ900 and 850 units regularly that have been damaged or drowned in booze... after a quick repair and a nice warm bath they always come up like new which sets them apart from most other brands. However I am gutted to hear that your 900 is screwed - that sucks! I know the horrible violated feeling of finding out your precious money has been tipped down the drain.

I guess all we can do is preventative action... maybe your local pio electronics technician can back fill the pcb with hot glue to prevent movement of the plug. Of-course this brings up warranty issues. I have been doing the same thing on all the units that come in now, as well as re-touching the solder connection on the plug.

Fortunately most CD dj's don't even know what the USB plug is for so its only a problem for some hehe ;-P

Jared 0 voti

Bottom line is they are made cheap. After further research it seems the higher end model (CDJ 2000) is having the same issue. I am on a national arena tour and this would be unexceptable for a $300 dollar CDJ, much less a $1200 or $2000 CDJ. The warrenty means nothing to me when my decks are out of commision for 8 weeks on an arena tour. These are plastic and probally built for 80 bucks.I use them in midi and native mode only. I have never even put a CD in them! I am looking into the Denon players that run in hybrid mode like the 2900 snd 3900.They are metal constucted and are cheaper only in cost. I called Pioneer and there is no answer or fix but to send them in and be charged a rediculus price. I have an RMX 1000 and DJM 900 which I love but I can't stand behind the CDJs. Because of Pioneers poor service on an obvious defect I am concidering moving on to an Allen & Heath DB4 and Denon CDJs. I will keep everyone posted.

Duhamel 0 voti

Jared I appreciate your response and understand your point to a degree. A company should stand behind its product not its brand name and sadly it appears this is becoming the case. $1300 isn't exactly cheap or affordable for such basic technology. These units are priced as if everyone using them are making a lot of money at DJing. I wouldn't be abolishing a brand over one "sily f-up"  its the principle. A company producing music equipment for creative artists should be passionate about the craft thus making quality products with a suitable price tag. 

Why does pioneer put pride into their mixers and not their CDJs?

Michael Dandurand 0 voti

Thats fair to say for sure. But, Pioneer have made the most groundbreaking gear to date in regards to DJ gear. Ii think the issue lies in the massive pressure they face bringing these products to market so fast. Pioneer have always been the only ones who take their time, do the research and wait till a product is virtually perfect before releasing it. For that reason they were often up to a year late bring new gear out.  But, I notice a mass of products being rushed out quickly to compete with a market that is going nutz right now. They are not focused on Pro DJ gear, but delving into these consumer controllers and other dj demographics.

i know its a major let down when something that seems so simple comes up and there really seems to be no excuse other than they didnt really try that hard. There is really no excuse for such an obvious thing. I had a look closer at all my other USB audio gear, and all of it is anchored by an extra chassis screw (except for the m-audio stuff lol). 

Knowing most DJ gear inside and out I can still say with confidence I will not hesitate to purchase pioneer dj gear. In fact, I still have a pair of CDJ-500s from about 1997 that work perfectly, and a CDJ 1000 that I got in 2001. They were all used in a club for years. It seems they didnt make mistakes with all their products.

I'm just hoping they sorted the USB issue before the 2000 nexus went to market so they can save some face before more people feel put off. 

At the end of the day we have two options

1. Glue it to prevent breakage, then complain that we had to do this ridiculous repair.

2. Dont glue it, complain about it breaking and taking 8 weeks to fix.

So I'm not defending pioneer at all, coz i think it sucks too... but what can you do?

Jared 0 voti

There us nothing ground breaking about the 900s. The Denon's CDJs are even able to link to your music library on an ipad wiresly. Thats ground breaking! The Allen and Heath DB4 mixer blows my 900 and DJM 2000 nexus away. It won 2012 DJ mixer of the year. I have had a Rane SL3 interface and pull USB Cables in and out for 3 years now and never an issue. The CDJs by Pioneer are just crap for the money. I've used Pioneer for years but the rest of the market has caught. Im done paying for a name.

Duhamel 0 voti

Heads up..FYI. Pioneer has taken down my other postings. Guess they don't want people calling out their flaws

Duhamel 0 voti

wow gettin serious!.. maybe they will listen and sot out their issues... deleting a post is confirmation that someone is actually listening to what is being said.. maybe.

Jared 0 voti

Right before I consider upgrading my whole set to the new 2000s and Nexus mixer, this Broken USB Problem happened to my CDJ-900 as well. It is the same exact problem from the original post, the USB type B female port is missing the little square that goes inside to protect the USB pins.I was in complete shock, since PIONEER "PRO" DJ gear has proven over the last years to be a solid company to produce PROFESSIONAL turntables. So far the unit still works but I will have to be careful not to damage the unit.

I am concerned that I will no longer be able to recommend the CDJ-900 (I was considering with my partner to buy 20 units for our school in Mexico). I will now have to branch out of Pioneer and look for something else. I am very disappointed since my history with Pioneer goes way back. I really hope that Pioneer takes this forum into consideration soon, otherwise I will make sure to create a Facebook Page talking about the defect of a $1300 CD Player.

Black Diamond Productions 0 voti

I guess $1300 isn't enough money to put in a bettef usb female jack. Haha. They should recall them all.If that happened I would forever be a Pioneer fan. Right now it looks like a parts and service scam to get another $300 or $400 dollars out of people.

Duhamel 0 voti

@Duhamel > Which posts specifically?

@Jared > Sorry but I've been the only mod on the forums in the last few days and I haven't taken down any of his posts.

@Black Diamond > I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience. I can only comment that these faults aren't as common as these forums would lead you to believe. Naturally, all cases are reported to the engineers.

Gavin 0 voti

This is a very common problem. Please read Serato Forums, Traktor Forums and the Web. I am a huge pioneer user but please admit design faults. This is the third time on mine and I am extremely careful and use the highest quality cables. I am a working professional.

Duhamel 0 voti

Same problem here on both my cdj 2000. I lost the black plastic piece inside the center of the usb port. Now both my cdj 2000 usb connection are really loose.

Edwin Ramos 0 voti

@Edwin > Please contact technical support to arrange a fix.

Gavin 0 voti