Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 follower Segui

Is it possible to change the order of the song information on the CDJ 900 display?

In the last couple of months I've slowly but surely been sucked into the art of harmonic mixing and am looking for a good way to display the key information on my CDJ-900's. I have been trying to re-order the song information on my USB-device via Rekordbox but I cannot affect the first 8 lines, song, artist, album, time, bpm, genre, rating and color. For me all of the above except for the first two is non-vital information while key is. Is there any way to re-order or remove some categories? It's a bit annoying that genre, color, rating etc. that I never use is displayed above key that I always use. It would be nice not to have to scroll down to the third information page every time I prepare for a transition.

Sorry if this has been answered already.

The Henrik Maneuver

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

18 commenti

Prepare your tracks in rekordbox first and order them how you need them

its very simple to do and does the job perfectly..

Nick Hilton 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

I think you misunderstand me. Everything is ordered neatly in playlists with Rekordbox but I want to alter how the information is presented on the upper part of the CDJ-900 display when a song i selected. There you normally get song, artist, album, time, bpm, genre, rating and color plus the categories you've added for the USB-device. I want to see song, artist, key, label and remove time, bpm, genre, rating, color and album.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 voti

I can't believe no-one else has tried this, anyone has a solution on how to get rid of redundant information from the CDJ-900 screen?

If I understand you right, then open COllection, put your cursor on for instance 'Album' (in the album column, at the top of the column, right click, and you will see all the categories which can have as appearing on the right side of the tracks, as category info. Tick and untick as you like. 

Anne Julie 0 voti

@Henrik > No, there is no ability to customize the INFO page of the GUI on the player, sorry.

Pulse 0 voti

Thanx for the reply Pulse, It's not a big issue but it would be sweet if it could be implemented some time in the future. To me it seems like it's "under way" with the export categories in Rekordbox and how the GUI is built up on the CDJ 900. In the mean time I just have to keep turning that knob to check the key!

You could always use a sort...!  If you're browsing your tracks, and you've added KEY as a sort option, press the MENU button on the player and select KEY, then it will narrow down your selection!

Pulse 0 voti

Pulse is right... Even if you could change what is on the information screen it's a real pain to go into each track just to verify the key of the track!

Now you can't change the order of the info screen but you CAN change the order of the sorting options; I have key set at the top of sorting options and then you can quickly sift through tracks with the same key and if you don't find a track you want to play you just go back and check out another key that works! It's waay more convenient in my opinion!!

Speaking of convenient; are you using 'Mixed In Key"? I use MIK and I love it; but I used to manually go through Rekordbox and change each song key just so that I could go through my tracks with the ease described in the above process... Now after I upgraded to MIK 5.0 it let me link to Rekordbox; now all I have to do after analyzing tracks in MIK is go to the track in Rekordbox and then right-click then select "reload tag".. Voila... Key information has been taken automatically from the MIK info... that in and of itself isn't that great until you realize you can hold shift to select multiple tracks and then right click, select 'reload tag'... it may take a few seconds if you have more than 30 tracks selected but it is so much easier than doing it manually. I don't want to tell you how long I've spent setting up this stuff manually! (I don't think that this was even a new feature of MIK 5.0 as it now will load the tracks that were only available on the old version)

Sorry for the long story but if you use Mixed In Key (and if you don't you should) this will save you so much time; unless you're less stupid than me and knew this all along! =D

edamage 0 voti

Easy. Here's what I do. Have MIK rename every filename to start with the key. Then when you load them into rekordbox and the players themselves, you will be able to go in under file name and see your tracks in camelot key order. Works like a charm.

Wesley Whitsell 0 voti

That's a really neat solution. The only problem is that the ID3 tag then is "incorrect", but I will give it a go and see if it doesn't bother me too much :)

But if you just want to display them in key order, why not just load all your tracks and then use the menu button to sort by key?  No messing with the tags of your tracks.

Pulse 0 voti

@Henrik > If you end up adding the Key into the title of the tag and you don't like it, you can remove the Key from the title by using the "Rename" feature in Automator if you have a Mac. You will have to do it in bulk by removing specific Key's at a time, but it's much faster to remove things from a title in bulk with Automator. :)

But I'm on the same page as Pulse, I'd definitely prefer that first.

Foster 0 voti

Sorting according to key is nice but my initial question was about how to display the key of the song currently playing on the CDJ 900. I'm getting so used to scroll down to the last info page by now so I might actually just stick with that. I automatically turn the knob to check the key which can get a bit annoying when I have the luxury to spin on 2000's :)

I just use the album field for key info. Its the third line on the first page, i care not for what album a track came from as most of my downloads are singles, sometimes eps.

-ExistenZ- 0 voti

@ExistenZ > Couldn't agree with you more - I delete all album information from my tags. It bugs me but I'm anal about such things.

Gavin 0 voti

Ok so I think ExistenZ has found a MANUAL way to have KEY dislpayed on the player WHILST a track is playing.

Sorting and selecting each track by KEY/BPM etc is one thing but if they Key information is not displayed while the track is playing then the player is seriously lacking a Major feature.

Am I supposed to remember the key of each track that's playing in order to help with my next selection.

Ive been spinning for many a year, started on vinyl in 1997 and am definitely enjoying the CDJ 900's but the reason I bought them was to cut down on manual effort in terms of finding the next track to play.

I'll try this when I get home but are you (ExistenZ) saying that if I add the key of each track to the album field I can see it while the track is playing?

If so great, I'm just a bit of a lazy bast*$d and this is just another pissy step from buying the track to actually using it.

Also, does the 2000 show key field on track that is playing? Just curious.

Dave Allardice 0 voti

I know this is too little too late, but I also use the ALBUM field for my Key, then it displays the key on the "home" (topmost) screen of the CDJ-900. It's not all that manual either - just have MP3Tag automatically copy the KEY field to the ALBUM field. I'm in there formatting tags anyway because I'm OCD and they all have to Artist - Title (Remix Name) 

So the album solution should have worked perfectly fine for you.

My only wish now is that RekordBox stored the rating in an MP3 tag because I wouldn't mind being able to see the rating of my tracks easily - sure I can sort by rating, but then I don't see key, so ideally, I'd like to sort by Album, with the integer of the star rating first, followed by the key. That is a manual operation, because I have to do that in RekordBox - at least I can edit multiple files tho.

Ryan Thomas 0 voti