Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 follower Segui

Spilt drink on CDJ

So I was dj'ing at a house party last night, and someone spilt a drink on one of my 2000's. At first the screen went off, and wouldn't come on. Then an hour later the screen came on again! All the electrics seem to be working fine HOWEVER the jog wheel is very sticky and making a strange noise when it's rotated. The drink seems to have gone into this compartment, and dried leaving some stickiness. Obviously i'm pretty devastated by this, and feel I should have been more aware about drinks and so on. What should I do? Many thanks for your responses in advance.

Stereojack

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

9 commenti

As a general rule with liquids & electronics—unplug and/or remove the battery ASAP and leave them off until the liquid has been removed or evaporated.  I've been told that (theoretically) you can dunk anything in a bathtub (i.e. completely submerge it), and as long as there's no power going to the circuitry (from a battery or power cord), it won't damage it (assuming you dry it out before connecting power again).

In your case, I'd suggest sending the unit in to have it cleaned by professional technicians.  …and if you can avoid it—don't plug it in at all until it's been fixed/cleaned.

Warth 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Thanks Warth. Good to know that rule for the future now, in case anything like this happens again to anything electrical. With my CDJ, I actually decided to just take it apart myself. I did that successfully - opened it up, took the whole jog wheel component out, and cleaned the roller bearings which had gone sticky from the drink. Put it all back together and now it works! It was a fiddly and stressful experience haha, but pretty relieved and surprised that it worked, I have to say. I only hope they're isn't any more stickiness anywhere else which I can't see, and may cause problems in the future with the electronics if it stays there? Is that a possibility?

Stereojack 0 voti

"they're" instead of "there" ??? ... wow I really wasn't concentrating.

Stereojack 0 voti

Omg Mark90. What happened to all that equipment then? You have electrical mains adapters right behind the decks too, nightmare!!

Stereojack 0 voti

Heheh despite similarity in name, thnat photo is nothing to do with me.  :)

Mark90 0 voti

This photo was taken at the Future music Festival in Melbourne Australia after a short down pour. I was told they were just wiped off and turned back on after it stopped raining and worked with out a hitch for the rest of the festival.

I would not like to be the first person to test them out. But bloody good gear!!!

Morgo 0 voti