Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

[SOLVED] CDJ350 / DJM350 set up with Serato Scratch Live

Right, I'm looking to buy the whole 350 set up soon, and I'm looking to use the Serato Scratch Live program with it. What is confusing me is the whole connecting up part. I know about the HID on the CDJ but does that mean you don't need the Rane Soundcard box? And also does the mixer hook up to Serato without the Soundcard also?

I just needed everything put straight before I buy everything.

Thanks

Josh Bonello

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

20 commenti

@Josh > The CDJ-350's will connect directly via USB to your computer running Serato and use HID mode. you will program 1 CDJ to control 1 deck in Serato, and the other CDJ to control the other deck. You will then need to connect your RCA out of the CDJ's and into the proper channels on your DJM. This will eliminate the Serato box. The DJM-350 does not have a USB output on it, so when you run the RCA's into the back of the DJM-350, you will use the mixer as an actual hardware controller and it will not effect the software. Then you just need to connect some cables to your master output on the DJM to some active speakers or an amp and you should be good to go.

Reply here if you have any issues during the setup stages, and be sure to check the forums first for similar posts and solutions. :) 

Foster 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Thank you ever so much! I know what you mean yes! Saves me alot of money from buying the Serato box! Jheeze, can't wait to get my 350's now! But yes thank you, probably wont be getting them until after christmas, because thats when I get paid, but still that really helped!

Josh Bonello 0 voti

NO NO NO NO!  You NEED the SL box in order to run Serato!  The software has no ability to use other soundcards plus the software is unlocked via the SL box.

Pulse 0 voti

HID = Human Interface Device.  It's a protocol used for high resolution, bi-directional data transfer between devices and the computer (eg. a mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc).  The CDJ is used with Serato Scratch Live in HID mode to control the software and even receive the track and time information but as their software REQUIRES the SL box as its output soundcard, you can't use just the CDJs.

Pulse 0 voti

Thanks Pulse.

My bad @Josh. I'll have to borrow an SL setup so I learn more about it!

Foster 0 voti

My question is very similar, although I use a DJM 400 and (2) CDJ 800 MKII.  I would like to use my existing equipment and connect it to my laptop to run the Serato software.  I'm not sure what is needed to hook everything up.  I do use active monitors and an active sub.  Is the answer going to be the same as the one you gave to Josh?  Any advice/help you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

LSUwhiterhino 0 voti

@LSU > If you want to run Scratch Live at all, you need an SL box or compatible SL-embedded mixer (such as the TTM57).

Pulse 0 voti

So basically, the SL box, is just to turn Serato from Offline mode to whatever and enables everything, allowing you to use HID? I understand now, and no worries Foster mate, not like I went and bought it straight away ;-) but Pulse, thank you ever so much, guessing I will be having to spend that little bit extra then! Thanks guys

Josh Bonello 0 voti

Exactly - much like Rekordbox, Scratch Live (or Itch) are for preparation mode only without hardware.

Pulse 0 voti

Hi Peeps, I just bought the DJM-350 mixer but when I connect my Rane SL2 interface the sound quality is very distorted and very poor. When I bypass the mixer and connect the Rane SL2 directly to my amp everything sounds perfect.  I was told that I could use this mixer with the Rane SL2 Serato Scratch Live 2.2.2. Can anyone help?

Neil Williams 0 voti

@Neil > I'm guessing you may have the SL2 outputs connected to the PHONO inputs on the mixer.  Be sure to use a CD/LINE input instead.

Pulse 0 voti

You were right but it doesn't seem logical.

Why have CD & Phono Inputs when you can't use an interface like Serato to control your music thru the phono Input? In my setup, the CDJ-350's run thru the CD channels on the DJM-350 whilst the Turntables (should) run thru the DJM-350 via the Rane SL2 - ultimately controlled by the CD/Phono input selector switch. Effectively having 4 channels, 2 of which are running via the Rane SL2. So this means, I'm only ever be able to use the 4 channels as Serato with CDJ's and turntables; as opposed to Serato withTurntables and CDJ's (which is the setup I'm seeking). If this is the case, can you recommend a different mixer that's conducive to my preferred setup? The DJM-350 evidently won't work for me. I wish the guys in the shop had told me this before I bought the unit!

Neil Williams 0 voti

There is a switch on the SL2 box to select whether you are using PHONO or LINE inputs on the mixer.

Mark90 0 voti

Obviously you should only select Phono pn the SL2 (and use the phono inputs on the mixer) if you are using a phono source such as turntables.

Mark90 0 voti

Also, on the SL2, you can only use either 2 CD sources, or 2 Phono sources, not one of each.  On the SL4, you can select CD or Phono on any of the 4 individual inputs.

Mark90 0 voti

Hi, yes I have the SL2 switched to Phono in order to use 2 Phono sources but still can only input in the respective CD channels of the DJM-350 not the Phono channels (which makes no sense at all). In short, I either need to get 4 RCA cables (2 for each channel) to do what I want it to do or change the mixer to a DJM250 (trade down), a DJM700 (trade up) OR a DJM T1 with Traktor, and not use the Serato/Rane SL2 at all.

Neil Williams 0 voti

@Neil > The DJM350 has two line (CD) inputs and two phono inputs.  The SL2 box has line inputs and line outputs.  You can connect your CDJs to the SL box and the SL box to the mixer.  I don't see what the problem is as this configuration would allow you to DJ using both timecode CDs, regular CDs, or even using the CDJs as controllers.  You don't need 4 line inputs on the mixer.

Pulse 0 voti

Could you guyz please explain me what is exactly an SL box ?  I recently bought 2xCDJ 350 and a DJM 350 but It's impossible for me to use serato scratch live. I can't select the Deck to use .

Thx for your help.

Victorthefirst 0 voti

@Victorthefirst > You need the SL box in order to use the software - the box is a soundcard.

Connect the SL box via USB to your laptop, do the same with the CDJs. Then you'll need to connect up the audio cables (CDJ > soundcard > Mixer) and away you go

Gavin 0 voti