Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

[SOLVED] Can you use FL Studio with the CDJ 350 (x2) and the DJM 350?

Can you use FL Studio with the CDJ 350 (x2) and the DJM 350?  Please advise.......

Matt Foster

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

20 commenti

@Matt > What do you want to do with the software / hardware?

Gavin 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

I would like to use the CDJ/DJM 350s to mix different tracks from cd or usb and  have the units link up to FL studio like they would with Traktor or serato for editing and other effects. 

Or is the only way to do it by recording it to the USB and then importing into FL studio.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Or if you could tell me what I can do with the units and FL studio together

Matt Foster 0 voti

I appreciate the information... very green at this.  So do I need software for the cdj/djm 350s?  Or if not what will software enable me to do with and which one would you recommend?

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > As @DJ KIKI mentioned, FL is production software and even though you could map the CDJ-350 to control some features in FL, it isn't recommended as they were designed for different purposes.

You do not need software to DJ with the setup you have, but you can decide to use software if you prefer it.

There are 3 main brands of DJ software; NI Traktor, Serato, and VDJ. All 3 softwares allow you to control the digital decks with your CDJ-350's. However, Serato requires you have an SL box to "unlock" the audio and receive sound. Traktor and VDJ do not require this, but they do have the option if you wish to use Timecode CD's instead of HID controllers. Using the CDJ's in HID mode will require changing latency settings on your computer, but using Timecode CD's doesn't provide latency. You can also demo Traktor and VDJ and see how you like them too.

However, there is also Rekordbox, which should have been included with your CDJ's, and is free to download and register from Pioneer. This is not DJ'ing software, but is a Music Management software that allows DJ's to analyze their music, automatically detects the track BPM, provides a waveform, set Hot Cues, memory points, edit tags and information such as Key, Color, and Comments. By using Rekordbox, it will provide you with the best accuracy when DJ'ing via USB device. You can export your tracks from Rekordbox onto USB devices and play them on the CDJ-350's. The waveform will display instantly on the load of a track, and you will have more information about your music. This allows you to have Quantized loops on all CDJ's, and Rekordbox files can be read on all current CDJ models. This is only possible via a USB device with the CDJ-350's, as Rekordbox cannot burn CD's and the CDJ's cannot read Rekordbox data from a CD. In your situation, you would need to purchase at least 2 USB devices to work in both your CDJ-350's.

In my personal opinion, I think you should use Rekordbox as it is compatible across all current CDJ models, and provides DJ's with unique features throughout all the models. Even if you decide not to go with Rekordbox, I would still recommend giving it a try as it can be very handy to have in the DJ industry. ;)

PS - nice last name. lol

Foster 0 voti

Foster... yes that is a nice last name haha.  I really appreciate the information, like I said very green at this.  Can't you record to the USB stick and then import to FL studio?  I've just done a lot of research on the music production softwares and FL seems to be by far the best and is used by dj's who use the sound i like.  (Avicii and Erik Arbores etc), that kind of stuff.  And yes I will definitely incorporate Rekordbox......  if you wouldn't mind man, since we share the same last name and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge..... if you'd give me your contact information (email) I know i'm going to have a lot more questions to come.  Thats if you're cool with that. 

Thanks DJ KiKi too

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > You can record to a USB stick using the DJM350. You could then import this recording into FL and play around with it as you wish. There are many popular production software suites available - what works for some may not work for someone else. I happen to like Adobe Audition / Ableton.

If you have plenty more questions you can keep posting them here to the forums - we'd be happy to help.

Gavin 0 voti

Gavin, If i were using the DJM700 can you record to any device such as an external hard drive or is that simply not a function (sorry to get off topic in the 350 forum).  I know the 350 you can use a USB stick but wanted to see if the 700 has a similar function?

Also when comparing the two mixers... what is the difference between beat effects vs master effects?

You answered my question perfectly about creating the mixes on the cdj/djms and then importing the recorded track into FL to play around with it there.  And while I now know this is a function with the 350's.... is a similar function possible with a CDJ 850/ DJM 700 package.  I'm trying to debate which set up to buy.  Thanks everyone

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Foster, when you said it was only possible via USB device on the cdj 350s for them to read rekordbox files... does that mean the other CDJ models are capable to doing it another way than the USB device.... say the CDJ 850s.  Hope this makes sense.. thanks again

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > You can record from any mixer, however, only the DJM350 has the built in functionality to record directly to USB. With other mixers, you'll require a recording device (and record from the Master or Rec Out). Alternatively, you could record directly into your computer - you'll find a Recording Guide here: http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/20108413-recording-guide

The DJM700 packs in a lot more functionality and features by comparison to the 350 - especially when it comes to effects. You will notice that on the DJM350 you have Master Effects. This places the effects on the Master Output meaning you can not control which channel you effect - you are able to select which channel to effect on the 700.

The CDJ850s are fairly similar to the 350s in that the 850 has the same feature set + some more! The CDJ850s, like the 350s, can only read rekordbox analyzed files from a USB stick - you cannot connect the 850 to your laptop to interact with Rekordbox like you can with the 900s or 2000s.

Gavin 0 voti

@Gavin> Thanks for the info man.  What exactly do you mean by a recording device? ( maybe a link if you have one).  Or maybe its easier to just go through the computer..... Either way if you could show me what exactly a recording device is that'd be great! 

Also, does the mixer ever connect with the computer PC for any purposes?  And can you ever have 2 MIDI devices running?  Like the CDJ and a MIDI keyboard.... Thats probably a stupid question but gotta start somewhere.....

Thanks again Gavin and everyone!

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > Not many still use external device recorders from what I've seen, so I would say for recording, your best way would be to use your computer and an external sound card. Although, the DJM-850, DJM-900 and DJM-2000 have built-in sound cards that allow you to record directly to your computer running software such as the common free app Audacity, as well as Ableton, FL etc...

For info on these, check out the DJM models on the Pioneer DJ site, or at your local Pioneer DJ dealer, and google 'external sound cards' if you decide to use a mixer without a built in sound card.

The DJM-700 and DJM-800 only have 5-pin MIDI to connect to your computer. This means they can be used to control software such as Ableton, but the signals are only 1 direction.

The DJM-850, DJM-900, and DJM-2000 all have 5-pin MIDI and a USB connection to connect to your computer. These mixers can also control software such as Ableton, and can record your mixes directly to your computer as I mentioned above.

Yes, you can use 2 MIDI devices at once. There are no stupid questions here. ;)

I apologize for taking a while to reply, thanks @Gavin. He covered everything for you. :)

Foster 0 voti

Thanks Foster and Gavin!  I'm not sure what you mean by the signals are only 1 direction?  Is it a bad disadvantage when trying to record if you don't have the USB out on the mixer?

Basically guys, I wish I could buy the Djm 850 and up but for price it seems like the djm 700/cdj 850 combo is the best I can do right now.  I started off looking at the 350 combo but from an online dealer saw I could get the 700 and 850s for only $800 more....  What do you recommend?

I'm a little concerned that the DJM 700 might become outdated soon since it was released 4 or 5 years ago... and I don't want to spend the money and have it become a clearance special everywhere...  With a little under a $3000 budget what equipment do you recommend, but the most features and bang for the buck and won't lose value?  It seems [EDIT] who is an online retailer for Pioneer DJ equipment has the best prices...

Again I really appreciate any wisdom..... Foster and Gavin seem to have all the answers!  Thanks for taking the time to answer the rookie questions.

And if I did go with the 700... what external soundcard would you recommend if i can't record directly to the computer.  Honestly I wouldn't even know what i'm looking for ;)

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > In MIDI, signals are only sent in one direction - imagine having a conversation with someone but they don't respond. However, with HID its like two happy chappys have a good old conversation and everyone is getting along great - the workflow is just much smoother / seamless. 

The USB recording function is just a unique selling point of that mixer - great for bedrooms DJs / mobile DJs who want to record their set.

There's no specific piece of equipment I could recommend to you only that you buy what fits your needs. Pioneer items have fantastic re-sale value (owing to their build quality etc) so you're unlikely to see them as clearance specials - this is pro-hardware. It would be too easy for me to say that the 850 is better than the 350 (as is the 900 better than the 850 etc) because the more expensive the units, the more features they have.

Also, we have a No Discussing Retailers / Prices policy on this forum.

Gavin 0 voti

@Gavin, thanks again for info and wisdom.  I apologize I wasn't aware about the price policy.  Won't happen again,

So on the Pioneer equipment and say a MIDI keyboard.  They both have the MIDI out to run to the computer right.... and then the Pioneer equipment and MIDI keyboard both have the USB type with the square out (old school USB Type A or B not sure....).  Which one would you use?  The MIDI or USB out... and do they have the same features or does the USB allow the signal to go both ways from computer to equipment?

Thanks so much again Gavin and everyone!

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > It depends on your specific needs. USB is better because it sends signals from the equipment to the computer, and from the computer back to the equipment. I would highly recommend USB, but sometimes MIDI can do the job just fine. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish if MIDI will work, but you will know that USB will work for all your needs.

As for your questions from before, It's not 'bad' if you don't have a USB (built in sound card) on the mixer to record directly to your computer from. It's mostly convenience as you don't need any extra cables or additional hardware. It will also provide you with the best quality.

As for your budget, it's hard to say without knowing what you already have for gear. I can say go all out and pick up a pair of 850's and a 4 channel DJM, but it's also important what you are using for speakers too. Some DJ's spend all their money on their mixer and CDJ's, then don't save money for their speakers. Then you have high quality gear, but have to listen to it on a low end system and doesn't provide you with a true sound.

If you do not have any speakers and understand the importance of monitors while DJ'ing, I would recommend looking at the 350 series and a pair of S-DJ05's for monitoring. However, if you have a good pair of monitors and are happy with your system, then you can look into more capabilities, more effects, and a bigger feel with the CDJ-850's and I would recommend the DJM-850. The recording feature and built in sound card is enough to talk me into the DJM-850, but it also includes Sound Color Effects and the all new Beat Color Effects. Not to mention, if you went with the DJM-700 and wanted an external sound card to record with, the additional cost wouldn't be far off the difference for a DJM-850. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

Foster 0 voti

@Foster, thanks for the advice man.  Your advice is well received.  If when using the djm or a midi keyboard if you use USB you don't need the MIDI cables?  

Also I'm currently looking into the DJM 850 option.  Let me ask you this...  I have a found a DJM 900 Nexus for the same price as the 850... both brand new.  Is the 900 a better piece of equipment?  When i compared them on Pioneer they seem to have the same sound card and recording features and the 900 has even some more features than the 850.  I know this makes sense simply because of the price.  So given at the same price would you take the 900 to pair with the cdj 850s or would you still go with the djm 850?

Also for recording anythign i produce from my midi keyboard... I would still need an external sound card correct?  Or is there a way to run the keyboard to the mixer (djm 850 or 900 nexus) and use the mixer's sound card to record etc.. Please advise

Once again, thanks so much for all the advice, it helps a great deal!!

Matt Foster 0 voti

@Matt > No worries mate. :)

Correct, using USB provides more capabilities and you only need to use the 1.

Yes, the DJM-900 and DJM-850 do both have the same sound cards. The main differences between the 2 units are based in the effects, and the DJM-900 supports Digital inputs and LINK capabilities. The DJM-900 allows for Quantized effects if you're using CDJ-900's or CDJ-2000's. The DJM-900 also has 6 Sound Color Effects where the DJM-850 has 4. The DJM-850 also includes the new 'Up Echo' Beat Effect, and has 'Beat Color Effects' on top of that.

It's hard to say what I would like better, considering I haven't tested the DJM-850 yet. The DJM-850 is newer and provides more effects than the 900, which can really be utilized to differentiate a DJ and come into a 'producing/editing' factor with it's capabilities. However, the DJM-900 provides more effect accuracy with quantization and is built to work with the CDJ-900's and CDJ-2000's.

If you ever see yourself getting or using the CDJ-900's or CDJ-2000's, consider the DJM-900 as an option, but if you don't see yourself needing the LINK capability or Digital Inputs, then you're better off going with the DJM-850 imo.

No need for an external sound card if you get the DJM-850 or DJM-900. They can both be used as a sound card for your computer. How will your keyboard be creating sound? ex. going to be using a production software with all digital sounds and effects (VST's/plug-ins) on your computer, but just controlling them with your keyboard?

Foster 0 voti

FL 11 now has performance mode.  Can someone please tell me how to hook up a DJM 900 Nexus so that it sends MIDI to FL Studio?  Thanks.

Alexander Zaki 0 voti