Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 follower Segui

Feature suggestion for CDJ900 - MP3 Bpm

Hello dear forum,

whats about the bpm display on a CDJ-900? If i load a mp3 from an usb-stick, the saved bpms in the id3-tag is not displayed. I have analyzed my mp3s by an externa program, so the accurate bpms are saved in the official id3-tag.

Could it be possiple, to implement a feature in a further firmware-update, so the CDJ would read the bpm from the id3-tag ?

Best regards

Tobias

DJ Wile C

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

19 commenti

@Tobias > The CDJ does not read the BPM ID3 tag - if you use rekordbox it analyses the BPM automatically when you load the audio file into the software. If you don't use rekordbox then the CDJ will have to analyze the file to detect its BPM.

I don't imagine this will be implemented but I'll put forward your suggestion.

Gavin 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

I don't see the point of reading a BPM tag, especially if it has the possibility of being grossly incorrect as compared to the measurement by rekordbox.

Pulse 0 voti

It would be nice, that the CDJ recognizes the bpm over the standard ID3-tag, because if you purchase a track from BeatPort, the bpm-tag would be filled from BeatPort, so the CDJ could show it.

If you load a mp3 track, the CDJ analyzes the track even if you play the track, but it would be useful to see the bpm shortly after loading the mp3 track.

I don't youse recordbox at the moment, because i drag&drop my tracks by the explorer on my usb-stick.

DJ Wile C 0 voti

I disagree. I'd prefer my hardware / software to analyze the track rather than be 'told what to do'.

Gavin 0 voti

@Gavin: is it's in this case possible, to implement in the next firmware update, that the CDJ would analyze the Track while loading, and not while playing the first 10 seconds ?! Therefore it could be possible, that the CDJ analyzes the track, the bpm in the ID3-Tag would be shown, and recognized ?! ... If the CDJ-analyzed bpm is greater or less than the saved id3 tag, the cdj could generelly switch to it's analyzed bpm.

Other idea would be, that the user could choose his analyzing method per configuration of CDJ ?`! .. First option "read ID3 bpm" - second option "analyze track while loading".. I think its a good idea ;))

Regards

DJ Wile C 0 voti

not a bad idea! Also for the cdj 2000....  even with a cd you would have a stable bpm read out !  Can you pass this along to the engineers ? I'm curious what they are going to say...

TheOne 0 voti

In the case of MP3s from CD, they are not read in advance, the track is decoded in realtime and the audio analysed as it's playing.  The BPM value stored in the ID3 could be wrong or missing - I'd rather have it pulled from the audio.

Pulse 0 voti

@Pulse: In this case of a wrong or missing bpm value in the standard id3-tag, the cdj could work with his internally analysed bpm from the actual track, but for mixing it would be nice to have a bpm value very close after loading a track. I don't care weather the track would be a mp3 from USB, or a track directly from CD.

I think, it's a good idea of choosing in the config of the cdj, how the bpm would obtained from.

Or as said, reading the id3-tag and compare it with the analysed bpm by the CDJ. If it would be different, the CDJ works with his analysed bpm as yet in the actual firmware.

For your understanding: my software puts a very acurate value in the id3-bpm. :))

DJ Wile C 0 voti

@Tobias > So what that would mean is that the CDJ would read one thing but display another - thats not going to happen.

Gavin 0 voti

@Tobias > 

my software puts a very acurate value in the id3-bpm

And so does Rekordbox, making this whole conversation moot.

Pulse 0 voti

@Gavin: i think, the CDJ would first use the bpm of the ID3-tag till it has analysed the track itself. Thats what i mean.

@Pulse: i won't use additionally RecordBox. I'm not shure, why i should use more media-bases as i need. My media-base is managed by my dj software, which sets the id3-tag with the right bpm. These id3-tag could also use the CDJ ?! :)

DJ Wile C 0 voti

@Tobias > If you don't use Rekordbox you are missing out on some very valuable features that the software / hardware combo can provide.

Gavin 0 voti

Totally with Tobias on that one. Why use another external software such as Rekordbox while the CDJ could just read the track's BPM tag?!??!  It's like making a very easy process into a very long and complicated task...

I mean, I understand that Pioneer wants consumers to use its full line of products, but Rekordbox just really doesn't do it for me, as it doesn't for pretty much everybody that I know. I play CDs and that's why I'm still using the CDJs. If I would decide to use a computer-based DJ software, my choice would indeed go to Traktor which is BY FAR way more advanced than Rekordbox.

Having the CDJ reading BPM tags would really be a great addition, as it would finally allow a proper looping feature on the CDJs. Even though the CDJ line has been around for ages, it STILL CANNOT decode a track's BPM accurately, making the whole looping process totally unusable if you don't want/need to use Rekordbox... So if it cannot analyze a track it well, why should I be forced to rely on it??

Anyway, from what I usually read on this forum, I've noticed that Pioneer rarely listens to its users' advices/suggestions, so I'm pretty sure that the BPM tags thing is something that we will most likely never see, even though its OBVIOUS ease of use, and its simple implementation...

@Pulse > And for what it's worth Pulse, the only time I put my entire collection in Rekordbox, it gave me wrong BPM by 0.1 or 0.2 for about a quarter of my tracks...

okoshiyasu 0 voti

@okoshiyasu > I'm sure its not just as simple as reading the tracks BPM tag (what if the tag is incorrect). I'm also pretty sure the player needs to analyse the data for other purposes. Plus, if you want a waveform, you'll want to use an uncompressed format (such as .wav meaning the BPM tag will load instantly too) or use Rekordbox.

Traktor and Rekordbox aren't the same thing so you're not really comparing apples with apples. I'm sorry you feel Rekordbox isn't up to your standards but it has become very stable and future iterations will incorporate a huge range of new functions.

Pioneer always listens to feedback / suggestions. Its impossible to thank everyone individually for their contributions but they are appreciated and taken into consideration.

In relation to your final point, what was the software you originally used to calculate the BPM?

Gavin 0 voti

Exactly Kiki, and that tag is so easily editable it could cause a whole world of problems.

Gavin 0 voti

Just out of curiosity, why would someone who came from Turntables, was with Traktor since its inception utilize Rekordbox with their new CDJ900's?

jesse 0 voti

@jesse > I'm assuming so that they don't have to have a laptop in the DJ booth - that has been a really big motivator to get people using rekordbox.

Gavin 0 voti