Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

Hard Drive lag on linked cdj (options)

Hello everybody i'm new to the forum but i've been reading for quite a few time. I'm a happy owner of cdj 2000's and 900 nexus, but i've been having a little problem with the hard drives. I used to play from two 80gb hdd and everything was flawless, but i always wanted to have only one hdd so i bought a cheap adata 500gb hdd, but after i export from rekordbox there's a lag of couple seconds on the linked cdj and theres no problem on the cdj where the hdd is plugged. At first i thought  it was because it was a cheap hdd, so few days ago i purchased a wd my passport essential 500gb and it's the same thing. so can anyone recommend me a portable hdd that won't do that? One of the 80gb i have its in a hdd enclosure and i just realize that has an ac input and i have the power adapter. if i buy an internal hdd like 7400 rpm would that work better plug in to the ac power?

I've have search on the forum but i couldn't find a lot on this topic only that some hdd go to sleep after some time but my problem happens right away i plugged it in and only in the linked cdj. I try different cat5 cables but didn't solve it.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english

charly 

Charly Romero

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

20 commenti

@Charly > Are you on the latest firmware on each player? Have you the CDJs connected directly to each other with the cable or have you the 2 CDJs and the Nexus connected together through a network switch? If so, what make of switch are you using?

Gavin 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

yes i always have the latest firmware and i've tried with different firmware versions and all of them are the same. i've tried both with and without the switch, i have the trendnet TE100-S50g

Charly Romero 0 voti

Mine does this to I just thought it might be normal. I know it can be a bit frustrating. When using the cdj with the hdd pluged into changing songs with the search buttons or setting a cue or even fast scanning through a track with the jog there is no lag. But the linked one I seem to have to wait a few seconds to do these tasks.
I normally get around this issue by using my laptop with the pro Dj link and both cdj's run at the same speed.
Im running cdj900s with the latest firmware link through a djm2000.

Morgo 0 voti

The lag could be Hardware Specific , Quote without confirmation here : Rekordbox says SOLID STATE drive , Which means Usb stick/Solid State Disk they are usually faster and have no moving components maybe thats the problem i don't know though.

Sammy 0 voti

guys, I noticed a good way to speed the drive up a little is if you are using FAT file system on the drive, Defragment the drive after a big export using defraggler or something similar. the export from RB to an external is fragmented to no end, when you "analyze" the drive it is pretty much all red fragmented files which causes the drive to have to work even harder to play/find a specific track, once you defrag it sped my drive up a lot 

BriChi 0 voti

@BriChi I did try that and it did make a difference. But still lag. The cdj with the hd pluged in runs as fast as if it's hooked up to laptop with link. But the linked player is defently slow. I can't really see any reason for this as if both are linked thorough my djm2000 with laptop and Pro Dj link they both run at the same speed.

Thinking back I think after one of the cdj fireware up dates I noticed this for the first time but I'm not 100%

Morgo 0 voti

@Brichi. I will try that when i get home and im going to return the wd hdd and try diferent ones and hopefully find the right one

Charly Romero 0 voti

I dind't find any free defrag app for mac, only one but it woudn't do anything to an external hdd. I'll exchange the wd hdd for a seagate goflex turbo and give it a try. I let you guys know tonight how does it perform

Charly Romero 0 voti

And this is the reason i preffer windows computers.

Everything is compatible , Apple is a Brand for it's own.

Sammy 0 voti

because most Mac users don't have to defrag :)    

Charly, an easy way to "defrag" if you have to use FAT and you only have a mac is copy ALL content from the flash drive to a folder on the mac, format the drive and copy it back on, it will go on without be fragmented, RB is whats causing all the fragmentation

BriChi 0 voti

What if i make 2 partitions on the drive. Does that means it could read faster or somthing because is a smaller size?

Charly Romero 0 voti

I just copy 80gb to the seagate goflex turbo from one of the other drives and still the delay, a bit faster though, but still annoys me. Do you guys think an internal hdd 7200rpm,320gb in the enclosure plugged with the power adapter will work?

Charly Romero 0 voti

I'm thinking it's more to do with the cdj's than what type of hdd.

Morgo 0 voti

I tried to do a test but didn't work. I reduce the number of playlist cuz i have a ton but still the same

Charly Romero 0 voti

Multiple partitions on the drive is unlikely to help.

A faster spinning drive on AC power would be the better solution, yes.

Gavin 0 voti

Charly, the only way to get no lag at all is to buy an internal ssd drive with a 2.5'' external box. First time i worked with the cdj's and rekodbox i have tryed out everything, first usb stick's, then hdd's (booth usb3), and after my disappointment just like you are, i buy an intel ssd 80gb 320 series. I got no lag on 4 linked cdj's. Load time is about 1 sec, and the export time is smaller too. I recommend a usb3 external box to get faster export times and don't worry, they are compactible with the cdj's.

Anastasio 0 voti

so i exchanged the goflex turbo for a seagate 320gb,7200rpm,16mb cache high performance, and i put it in the enclosure with the ac adapter and still the delay... why with my old 80gb theres no lag? does anybody is using a bigger hdd without the lag?

Charly Romero 0 voti