Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

CDJ-2000 Advanced HID support for displaying track information next to the cover art

Traktor Pro 2.5.1 (released this week) finally supports Advanced HID with Pioneer CDJ2000. Integration is pretty good now!

Here's a comparison of how the CDJ2000 display looks like.. Rekordbox USB stick compared to Traktor with Advanced HID: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68166/Temp/AdvancedHid_small.jpg (image by DJ MAD NL @ NI forums).

NI/Traktor developers said it's not possible to display the track information automatically next to the cover art by using Advanced HID. Would it be possible for Pioneer to add support for displaying the track information (bpm, length, etc) next to the cover art in a CDJ2000 firmware update? http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1063719&postcount=383 .

I know the track information can be viewed by hitting "Info"-button on the CDJ, but it'd be nice to have it visible automatically, especially when the CDJ screen is not used for anything else.

Here's the CDJ2000 Advanced HID thread on NI/Traktor forums: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132533 . Relevant discussion is in the end of the thread (pages 26 / 27).

Thanks!

Pasi Kärkkäinen

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

19 commenti

Yes, but not on the CDJ screen :) it would be nice to have it there aswell..

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

But you can't use Traktor without your computer, so why not just look there?  ;)

Pulse 0 voti

What if we want to place the computer out of the way so we can focus on the crowd?

I was hoping that Pioneer would have a better explanation other than just telling us to look at our computer! 

Kompiler 0 voti

If I were going to scroll trough the browser on the CDJ I would be looking at the screen on the CDJ and not the laptop. All the Advance HID would be pointless if I am looking at the screen on my laptop insted of the CDJ.

Gulli Johansen 0 voti

That section of the GUI is not available to software for data, only artwork.  Press the INFO button and you'll get those details without having to look at your computer.

Pulse 0 voti

Well the info in question is displayed when using USB sticks prepared with Rekordbox, so it definitely should be possible to support it over the Advanced HID aswell.. and like said the info is there already on the CDJ also in Advanced HID mode, and it can be viewed by hitting "Info"-button, so showing it automatically should only be a matter of firmware tweak?

See the picture comparison: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68166/Temp/AdvancedHid_small.jpg

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 voti

I asked the engineers and they said that it is not possible.  Sorry.

Pulse 0 voti

@Pulse: Not possible?? It definitely *IS* possible! The info is already there, and it can be viewed, so it's only a matter of showing it automatically.

I can understand "we won't implement it", but I don't understand "not possible", sorry :)

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 voti

Hey Pasi - as I understand it, you're not an engineer for Pioneer or Native Instruments, so you really have no idea of knowing whether or not it's possible, thus you'll have to take my word for it when I pass along the comments from the actual engineers saying "No, it's not possible."

Pulse 0 voti

Quite new to this forum but Pule you come across as arrogant in your posts.   We pay a lot of money for pioneer gear so why not tone it down a bit.

Kompiler 0 voti

@Pulse: Well originally it was the Native Instruments software developer saying that Pioneer should fix/implement it in the CDJ2000 firmware :)

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1064049&postcount=391

quote: "Still, the song information is known to the CDJ (as you said it is shown when you press the Info button) and with a firmware tweak it should be possible to display it all at once. Could be an improvement request for Pioneer."

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 voti

I am sure IT IS possible because I am a programmer myself. But there is a big possibility this is a very time consuming and difficult task for pioneer since the extra field is probably build to only communicate with rekordbox.

To be able to display all that extra info, they would probably need to rewrite the whole Graphical interface part.

Jack EDM 0 voti

I agree this could be cool if it was implemented.. probably possible but difficult/time consuming or costing a lot of $$

if its not possible thats okay.. would be a nice addition though 

Carl 0 voti

The screen info is also limited on the CDJ-2000nexus.

Kinda interesting seeing as its a new unit.

Fresh 0 voti

I have to say I would really like to see much more flexible hid and or midi (or OSC) control options in the future for the whole product line. The ability to integrate the hardware with the software is great but the brick wall you run into if you want to try and bring more functionality to it is sad. It seems how pioneer feels about this is "that not what it should do, because that is not what we think it should do"

"But you can't use Traktor without your computer, so why not just look there?" comments like this from our moderator seem out of place when we as users are just trying to understand the product and the choices made by pioneer.  I would like to know why Pulse says things like "Hey Pasi - as I understand it, you're not an engineer for Pioneer or Native Instruments, so you really have no idea of knowing whether or not it's possible" that is not productive. It is really sad how common these responses have become.

Scott Kilpatrick 0 voti

@Scott > Well, it is a valid point - why go to the expense and hassle of creating these additional features when you still have to use a laptop and all the information is on screen there anyway. Leaving the expense part out of it, additional programming can lead to increased complications and the likelihood that some bit of code will break something else. So, again why bother?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to explain things how I see them.

Gavin 0 voti