Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

Key Issue on Nexus Decks

Just got the new decks, absolutely love them! Just one issue though!

When searching, the 'key' tag shows everything in their key as in Gm, Dm, etc.

I have everything set to use camelot notation (in the key fields in rekordbox as well) but it still shows up like this. At the top of the deck though, it still shows it in camelot notation. Is there any way to change this back? If not there should be an option to have it to set the key to whatever you want it, or the actual key notation.

If I go into a playlist and sort it by key, it still shows as the camelot notation as well.

T-Top

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

33 commenti

@T-Top > You'll need to rename anything in Standard Notation to Camelot Notation for it to show up like this on the CDJs.

Gavin 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Everything is in Camelot notation in rekordbox, standard notation is nowhere to be found which is why I found it so weird, I never analyzed the key in rekordbox (pretty sure anyways, definitely never intentionally and I'm not sure how I would have done that by accident)

T-Top 0 voti

@Gavin: Could you explain how this should be done? I'm not using Rekordbox to find the keys, but I am using Mixed in Key. When I am seeking tracks on in the category index the "key" gives me standard key notation, not Camelot notation.

Manuel de Bruin 0 voti

I guess it's not just me then, sounds like it's for everyone

T-Top 0 voti

@T-Top > My guess to your original post is that wherever you got your tracks, the key field had already been populated. If you analyse the keys in rekordbox (you can choose it to do it automatically on import or right click and choose Analyse Tracks) it will overwrite the populated key field.

@Devotion > 'how it should be done' or 'how you should do it if you want everything to work'? If you want everything to work nicely (traffic light system etc) then analyse the keys in rekordbox and have Standard Notation. If you still want Camelot then you can get MiK to write it to the Comments tag (but then you can't sort by Comments).

Gavin 0 voti

@Gavin It even does it with my original songs, so no pre-populated thing going on there. Again, the key field in rekordbox shows the camelot notation. Would it help if I took a video?

T-Top 0 voti

@T-Top > I don't doubt that the key field displays the Camelot Notation but rekordbox only analyses in Standard Notation only...

Gavin 0 voti

I know that rekordbox only analyzes standard notation, but its the key field that's showing up incorrectly on the CDJs. The CDJ key sorting option is showing standard notation, which I never put into rekordbox. And while rekordbox doesn't analyze camelot keys, shouldn't it be mirroring whatever information it was given in rekordbox to the cdj?

The weird part, again, is that when the song is playing, at the top of the screen, where it shows the key field, it still shows it in camelot notation, as I had set it to show in rekordbox. So why is it showing the key letter when I go to sort it on the cdj? Does it analyze the keys of the songs in the background and then show it on the CDJs but not in Rekordbox?

T-Top 0 voti

If you do analyse your tracks with MiK and then have rekordbox not set to analyse the key tags on import then rekordbox will display the keys in Camelot Notation. Straight forward so far.

However (and I've literally just tested this), if you play those same tracks on a CDJ the CDJ will display those tracks in Standard Notation, not Camelot so, for example, a track tagged as 1B will become B Major on the CDJ. Therefore, traffic light will still work but everything must be in Standard Notation.

Its likely all down to licensing issues. MiK own the license to the Camelot Wheel.

Gavin 0 voti

I know that in order for Pioneer to use the Camelot wheel officially, they would need to license it, but if the user puts in the camelot key themselves, as in the case you just mentioned, shouldn't it still be showing the camelot notation? It actually sounds like it's reading the camelot notation, knows which each camelot key is, and shows it as standard notation, which to me, sounds like it is using camelot more-so than if it were to just show whatever the user decides to put in the key field.

T-Top 0 voti

Yup, thats what it sounds like. But that may not be whats actually happening...

If it were to display the Camelot Notation thats likely where issues in relation to licensing would arise. Pioneer has no control over what users manual put in themselves though.

Gavin 0 voti

yes , what Gavin said , sounds like the cdj "converts"  the MIK camelot notation to standard notation ....

It is a bit weird that you can't chose what the cdj displays....

Like you said : "sounds like it is using camelot more-so than if it were to just show whatever the user decides to put in the key field."

I agree!!

TheOne 0 voti

So... does it make sense to you then that it's showing standard notation, when it's in camelot notation in rekordbox?

How I think it should work/thought it worked was that whatever you put in the key field in rekordbox, be it standard notation, camelot notation, or a bunch of garbage and typing whatever you want, it should just show exactly as how you put it into rekordbox on the cdjs.

It does it like that (shows what you write) on the CDJ 2000s, and while I understand the Nexus decks have the traffic light feature, shouldn't it be possible to just void the one small feature and display whatever you want it to display as you put it in to rekordbox?

T-Top 0 voti

In a sense, yes. Can Pioneer use Camelot? Not unless they pay for it (which ultimately means you have to pay for it).

Should Pioneer void one of their features so they can use someone elses when there is a workaround available? I don't think so ;)

Gavin 0 voti

Hmm still don't get it ...  

"may not be whats actually happening"

But the key is in camelot notation in rekordbox , but it is displayed on the cdj in standard notation...???

There must be a code that does this?

Or am I missing something ?? lol

TheOne 0 voti

Oh jez, do I have to spell it out?!

"may not be whats actually happening" wink wink nudge nudge

(It is whats happening)

Gavin 0 voti

They don't need a license to show the camelot key if the user puts that in. The license is only required if they have an option to analyze it like that. Again, EVERYWHERE except for sort by key, it shows however you put it in. ONLY when you go to sort your music by key does it show it in standard.

Even if you pull up a playlist or list of all songs in a genre, album, etc, and then go menu > sort by key, it shows up how you put it in rekordbox. So why can't the first key sorting issue show the songs as you put them in? To me it sounds like more of an error/glitch - it should be showing the keys how you put them into RekordBox

T-Top 0 voti

ok I understand that ...

So the bottom line is :

Camelot notation will be shown in standard notation on the cdj's ...

Therefore the traffic light will still work.

And t-top , what happens when you add a bunch of garbage ?? it still displays that ?

TheOne 0 voti

Okay, I've heard that licensing would be a problem... But why is it possible on the CDJ-2000 MK1's and not on the Nexus'? It really pisses me off that I can't use the key category to search the tracks I have analyzed by MIK. The key field in Rekordbox is in Camelot style, and from there I transfer my files to my HDD. I have not enabled the key analysis feauture of Rekordbox, so the CDJ-2000 Nexus is reading the Camelot style key notation and is using some kind of algorithm to convert it to the standard key notation. How is that possible without a license? As a feuture request I would like to be able to choose the way my CDJ's read the key field. The MK1's do it the way I would like them to...

Manuel de Bruin 0 voti

@T-Top > I'm only surmising the legality of it - it is a key tag related issue. You could very well be right, it may just be a bug.

@TheOne > Only when sorting by key does the Key Field be displayed in Standard Notation.

Gavin 0 voti

@TheOne that is an excellent question. I'll try it as soon as I'm home unless someone else tries it before then. If it shows as in then a temporary workaround might be to put them as .10A (with a dot in front) - or if that still converts, then something retarded like 10 Eh, 9 Bee

@Gavin Could you please pass it along to the engineers? If they intentionally made it do this, I don't think the people who analyzed their music in MIK would want standard notation - that is the whole reason they're using the camelot system. It doesn't make sense to convert it back - if that was even the intention.. as you just mentioned it could be an error 

T-Top 0 voti

@Gavin: My routine (with the MK1's) was that I would be playing a 10B track, and I would choose a matching track by sorting the key category index. So I would make the call to have whatever key my next track would be. I really don't like the stoplight function because I feel it limits me too much. Why do the MK1's and the Nexus differ so much in the key department and why isn't this something that the user can choose in the settings?

Manuel de Bruin 0 voti

Haha wink wink ;) 

Thanks for the clear answer!! At first I didn't get it ! lol

Jup,

you already payed for the licensing... when you bought MIK :)

But the thing is ... IN order for the traffic light to work With MIK, there has to be a code in the cdj's that would tell which tracks match together.

= you are using MIK cammelot notation in your code.

Now there still is a code in the cdj's that deals with the MIK cammelot notation ... BUT it converts this notation to standard notation

= It doesn't USE the MIK cammelot notation.   I guess there isn't a license on converting :D

That is the difference ...

If you understand what I'm trying to tell ;)

To solve the problem, Rekordbox should store the key in an other tag field:  "rekordbox key".

It is possible to make your own tags!?!??!

I have a custom tag for all my mp3's : TAG OK....    Ok will be added automatically if the tags have been processed ;)

TheOne 0 voti

Can anyone try writing some garbage into a song key and see if it shows up when you sort the keys?

For example in the key tag write pppp and see if it shows up like that 

T-Top 0 voti

I think its not legal to Pioneer to use the Camelot Wheel.

But you have other ways of doing it. If you use Mixed in key, write the key on comments section or something similar, then just organize the tracks in that field, and give them a color. After that you can sort by color and you know that, for example, all red tracks will work with red and orange!

TheSqueezer 0 voti

@TheSqueezer there is no legal issue involved in letting the user write whatever they want for their key tag, as long as Pioneer doesn't make using the camelot notation system an official feature in the program.

T-Top 0 voti

Well here it gets interesting.

I changed the key of a song to 'titties'. It still shows as standard notation when sorting by key. When going into the artist page, and then sorting that artists songs by key, it shows as titties. BUT, in the top right corner, it still shows the camelot notation.

Also tried this with asd to see if it was a length issue, but that yielded the same result as titties.

So yes, it seems to be a glitch - it should be showing the camelot key or whatever happens to be put in the key field.

Also, an interesting side note, they actually order the musical keys when sorting by key (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, etc)... sneakily snuck in the camelot circle order, just not the camelot notation lol 

T-Top 0 voti