Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

14 follower Segui

[SOLVED] CDJ850 HID Traktor Support

This being rolled out tomorrow?

I've not used Traktor before so not really 100% on what it even means.... would I be right in thinking it means we'd be able to control and access files from a computer that the CDJs would be plugged into via USB? ie: no Traktor box or other cables etc?

Cheers

Dave Lee

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

65 commenti

Could someone let me know what cables i need for this? Is it two USB leads? like am I supposed to use the square USB ports on the back?

Dave Lee 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

@Dave > Yes, USB from the player to the computer; you need a standard A>B cable.

Pulse 0 voti

I wouldn't mind if it was only Traktor Scratch that supported CDJs with Advanced HID..

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 voti

My Girlfriend hope so that NI brings HID for her cdj 859 she love her set with his 2 csj 850 and Djm 700s ;)

markoerregger 0 voti

Well me too, It would bring my CDJ850 to a next level. Its really strange that "lowbudget" software like VDJ support Full HID (trackinfo on screen, LED feedback from buttons) but a "Pro" program like Traktor doesnt!!

At this point I use Traktor timecode when I'm at the club, and VDJ at home. VDJ has amazing CDJ functionality, but isnt as reliable as Traktor. But Traktor just doesnt work nicely with the 850. I tried mapping them on my own, but it just doesnt have midi out functions (LEDs)

frustrating. I hope Pioneer could pressure NI a bit on this point!

Peter Ywe van Bruggen 0 voti

Have not has a single problem / crash with VDJ and the CDJs 850 / 900 / 2000. It has been rock solid for me and easy to set up. Would also like Trackor 2 to play as nice with the players as it is just catching dust as we speak. Shame on NI!

Taff 0 voti

@Peter > We'll do our best!

@Taff > Thats great to hear, thanks for letting us know!

Gavin 0 voti

i retract my previous statement about it being pioneer's fault.. I bought Serato and have been enjoying the amazing HID features on the 850's... It is truly NI's fault 100%, pioneer did a great job. It is sad that NI continues to fail to meet the needs and desires of their consumers.

Andrew Galvin 0 voti

Andrew, I think you are absolutely right. NI is dropping the ball for whatever reason.

Gavintech 0 voti

It's entirely possible that NI is hoping to bolster the sales of their own controller hardware by limiting the functions or capabilities of the competition, but that is purely speculation with no factual evidence.

Pulse 0 voti

It's definitely possible, and I've heard that a lot (countless people spout it off as if it's 100%, undeniable, fact). But I just don't see that happening. I think they're just in over their heads with having to develop and market a new Komplete EVERY YEAR (which they should slow down on) and everything they have invested in marketing Maschine.

Considering a lot of professional EDM deejays use Traktor, all but a few that request Pioneer CDJs when they play, you'd think they would make the software working with the Pioneer equipment a priority. Even if NI required the user to have the SCRATCH version of Traktor (which means the user already bought an NI soundcard) to have advanced HID control that works like it should (as it does with SSL).

I know I'm not switching to Serato for this, even though I am a dyed in the wool Pioneer user and that will probably never change, but it would be awesome to have some CDJ850's at home and be able to leave the Traktor Audio soundcard in my bag and just have to plug into my CDJs via USB when I got home from a gig. Likewise it would be awesome to be able to leave my soundcard in the bag at gigs too (but I' haven't played anywhere with next-gen CDJs yet, so HID wouldn't really make a difference for me in this situation).

Gavintech 0 voti

@Taff & @Pulse:

I didnt have the latest firmware when I was writing my comment, after a while browsing I found the latest one, and the problems with VDJ shutting down when switching input source (CD/USB) are changed are fixed! Love that!

The only problem I have with VDJ now it that it doesnt shopw my Tags the way it should! :P Traktor does that perfectly

Peter Ywe van Bruggen 0 voti

the only problem with VDJ is that its VDJ lol... i recently switched to SSL and recommend you do the same (especially if you paid for 850s).. it really is a superior program for stability, user experience and visual design.

Andrew Galvin 0 voti

Hey Guys, I just read the news about Pioneer CDJ 850K (Black). That is good news for me because I my all of my Pioneer gear is Black. I am thinking about purchasing a pair of the Black CDJ 850's. For the past few months I've been working with Traktor Pro 2 along with my DJM 900 mixer, and I have discovered endless possibilities to mixing. I want to add a complete polished look to my mobil setup for my clients and onlookers. Now I'm in the market to buy CDJ's. My question is, will the CDJ 850K work with my current Traktor setup? I am running Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Controller X1 with a DJM 900, and a Macbook Pro. Will I be able to link the CDJ 850K with Traktor controller X1 and the DJM 900. I want to be able to use the CDJ (like a turntable) to control Traktor,as well as use my Traktor control X1. I think that set up would give me a complete professional look, and keep me competitive when discussing my advantages compared to others who have half the equipment. What do you think?  Would it be wise to go with the CDJ 850K, or would the CDJ 2000 be better for my setup? 

Thanx 

6Sixx 

6Sixx 0 voti

@6Sixx > The 850's are a great option - much less expensive than the 2000 and the 2000 wouldn't really offer any more features to your setup than you'd need.  The only thing to note is that many users have mentioned that they aren't terribly happy with the lag between the jog and the scratch response in the software -- this isn't something that Pioneer can address as when using the 850 in HID mode with Serato Scratch Live, it works just fine.

Pulse 0 voti

@6Sixx > Just to add, the CDJ-900 and CDJ-2000 also have the "LINK" connection and when connected to your DJM-900 allows for Quantized Beat Effects. Not a major turning point, but a consideration for optimization.

Foster 0 voti

Thanx for the fast response guys! This forum has helped me open up my mind to a world of information and solutions to my technical and gear needs. The 'lag' issue concerns me a bit about the CDJ/w Traktor because as stated I'm a novice at tech issues relating to DJ gear. Thus far my venture into the modern world of DJing with the equipment I have purchased have been pretty much _'plug and play' _and all works well, and not alot of navigation into tweeking minor issues. Is it safe to say the higher end CDJ's will work better with my setup as far as 'plug and play'. I want to be able to plug them up, and work them as if I had the classic 2 turntables plugged into a mixer with no software, (like the old days), but utilize the CDJ's with the many options of Traktor Pro 2, controller X1, and my DJM 900. By the way, I'm looking to purchase something to add to my system by the end of the year. I do birthday parties, lounge parties, fashion events, class reunions, and my specialty is techno sets at local events. . . .  any advice in CDJ options that would improve my performances and professionalism would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanx again

6Sixx    

6Sixx 0 voti

Native Instruments has not yet added Advanced HID mode for the Pioneer CDJ line.  They will currently work only in Standard HID mode, which unfortunately means lower performance.  If you need to do scratching, the HID mode will be a pain because of the lag.  So, for the moment, timecode discs remain the best option for attaining scratch-style control of Traktor.  If Traktor adds Advanced HID mode compatibility, however.... this will no longer be the case.

Personally, I would recommend getting the CDJ-900 because of the Link feature.  It will be a nice combination with the setup you describe, and also provide a bit more future-proofing over time.

Fuse Promote 0 voti

@6Sixx > I think a more professional look would be to use a pair of CDJ's with Rekordbox analyzed files. Whether they be played off a USB device or directly off your computer via LINK, I believe Rekordbox will provide you with more accuracy, more functions and user capabilities, not to mention the look and feel without using DJ'ing software. :) It doesn't have to be the high end models with the LINK function, but that feature is really nice to have in my opinion!

I'm a bit unsure about how your statement makes sense? You want to be able to plug and play like the 'old days' with 2 turntables a mixer and no software; yet you want to use Traktor Pro 2 and an X1. It sounds a little contradictory to myself. ;) lol

Foster 0 voti

@Foster ..  That isn't a relevant topic for the thread. Other DJ software companies (RE: Serato and VDJ) have already implemented this feature. It is obvious that people want it as a feature on these programs, so that is the end of the story. Another point I'd like to make is that the 850s are not one of the "professional models" offered by Pioneer but that is pretty irrelevant as well.

I don't know where you have been DJ'ing for the past 5-10 years but a lot of the "Pros" I see perform are switching to or using computers (RE: sharam, A Trak, Pete Tong, Bassnectar, Funkagenda, Richie Hawtin and even Andy C.. some one who has always been a stanch vinyl purist). It seems to me only the DJs who have been around for 10-15 years using CDs are reluctant to switch. Almost all electronic music is made on computers, so it doesn't make sense to then put a finished file onto a record/CD/USB drive and use that with different equipment to mix it because some elitist late adopter tells you it isn't professional. Serato has the right idea with "the bridge" where you can integrate ableton into serato for producers who would rather mix their music in serato but still have control with ableton for live remixes and tweaks. Electronic music has always been forward facing, using computers to mix or produce removes boundaries of what you can do with your music and performances. Please don't get caught in the past..

Andrew Galvin 0 voti

@Andrew > I was replying to @6Sixx which is why it is not relevant to the topic thread. Threads tend to become "off topic" at times on these forums and I was specifically replying to 6Sixx's questions.

I'm unsure of what "feature" you are referring to?

I'm also unsure of where I mentioned the CDJ-850 is a professional model?

Lastly, I didn't say anything negative or unprofessional about DJ'ing with computers. It's a personal preference really. Myself, I prefer to have a backup plan just incase the software is acting up, which is why I recommended a pair of CDJ's that can allow you to control software, play CD's, or USB devices as every DJ should try to keep a backup for gigs. Again, it's all personal preference, but please don't get the idea I was devaluing DJ'ing with a computer. I've used Traktor many times, Serato only twice, and VDJ a couple so I don't believe I'm a late adopter. I also mentioned that using CDJ's with Rekordbox analyzed files will provide the DJ with more accuracy over CD's or standard files on a USB device.

I'm only trying to help other DJ's with questions they have, and I hope my response directed to 6Sixx will help him with his decisions in the near future.

Foster 0 voti

Hey Foster, thanx for the comment and information. I think I've found a new home for discussion and information on DJing and gear! I absolutely love the varity and dept of knowledge and information on this forum. Just in a matter of a few months simply by peeping in on this forum I am able to shop comfortable when buying and using varies products.

Also, the 'plug and play' reference was toward the relative ease in using function and technology back in the day. There was no downloading software,  no updating software, no linking, operating, or high tech instructional wording formats verus the 'back in the day'  simple pattern of connecting jacks and adjusting wiring here and there. In otherwords, there was no need for an instructional booklet. (LOL).

Nowadays it sometimes feel like I have to have a tech word dictionary, a computer degree, and a science award to connect some of the product on the market. Thus far, with my experience with the DJM 900 (which I love), Traktor, I have only scratched the service of optimizing my new gear simply because I don't no all it is to know! However, with only knowing the tip of the iceburg in high tech DJing, what I use to only dream about doing, like, live loops, live beat juggling, etc for my clients, the way technology has made performance interactive, I have no worries about loops, juggles or anyother wild creative thought I may have in my head (or what I may have practiced in the basebment) when I perform for a client!!!!

In the debate about software djing, the thing about today's gear, it may seem like you are 'cheating' if you grew up djing pre-dj software_ (which I did), However, for me, I've always had a creative mindset and a ear for creating music flows and tempo,(dj software don't provide intellect), so regardless of the _'anybody can dj now with DJ software' thought, a 'true' DJ will out-performe a 'look what I got for xmas' DJ at all levels! There is still a fundamental format for 'true' dj's and that is; It's not what you play, it's how you play it

6Sixx

May the Funk be with you! 

6Sixx 0 voti

Hi!

Im interested in using two cdj850s with the new DJM-T1 mixer to control Traktor. The question is, can I use the CD players' MIDI capability to access the controls in Traktor, while at the same time using the Timecode CDs to get a good scratch/pitch responsiveness not possible with  MIDI?

...There doesn't seem to be another option until Native Instruments implements advanced HID mode for these players.

cheers!

-Chris

Arne Tetens 0 voti

@Arne > Unfortunately you're correct, you need Advanced HID mode within Traktor in order to do that. And I don't have any idea when that could be. Best thing would be to check out the NI forums and see how the talk is going about implementing Advanced HID mode.

Sorry for your luck, but you'll have to choose only 1 of the features for the moment.

Foster 0 voti

Thank you all and you to PIONEER for all the info i get on your webb site a great help.

Carlton Bacot 0 voti

*EDIT* Your post was not within forum guidelines and has thus been removed. This is your first and only warning to keep your posts family-friendly. If you are having problems and would like assistance, please start your own thread. *EDIT*

Dr Funk 0 voti

Like most on here, I'm really frustrated NI haven't added HID support for the 850's, but I think Pioneer could save the day?

Is it possible to create a firmware update for the 850's so that they interact with Traktor using a CDJ 900 or 2000 HID mapping that's already there? 

I think everyone has tried using these settings in Traktor already just in case they work! lol

Surely it is possible for the 850 to emulate the CDJ900 section of HID firmware, in effect tricking Traktor ?

Just a thought! 

Nick Levesley 0 voti

@Nic > It's not on Pioneer's end. As you can see by the fact the players work with Serato Scratch Live just fine, it's nothing to do with the players but rather the software. NI has no incentive to support Pioneer because they have their own hardware agenda of controllers to push. And no, the software can't be tricked.

Pulse 0 voti

Hey Pulse, thanks for the fast response.

I fully accept there's no problem with the HID comms in your players as I use them with Virtual DJ by HID control. (I only bought VDJ for that reason, but I much prefer Traktor) lol. 

What I am saying is the only way Traktor knows what its communicating with by HID is because of what its being told by the device on the other end and there's something in the CDJ-900 Firmware that Traktor recognises. As Pioneer already have working firmware solution which is recognised by Traktor as CDJ-900, it could be copied over into the 850s? The 850's could tell Traktor they're 900s?

I suppose the other way of looking at it from Joe public's, and NI's point of view, is why would Pioneer use different HID firmware interface between CDJ-850 and 900, when the latter was already supported by most DJ software? As far as Traktor (and other DJ software) is concerned, most functions between the two players are the same, so why need a different HID map, interface etc. to communicate?

We have lost out and maybe you guys have a solution that could be cured with a firmware upgrade for Traktor users? :)

Best regards

Nick Levesley 0 voti