Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 follower Segui

[CLOSED] CDJ 2000 Nexus Loop Drift

I've tried every combination of sources to play (i.e. pro link w MBP, USB, SD, iOS) and create (i.e. RB MBP software, iOS) active loops - I've even tried setting and saving loops on the players (both cue and hot loops), then going back into either the software or iOS once they've uploaded to mark them active. These loops (once activated) drift every time - moreover, if sync is off when playing the two tracks (with one in an active loop) and then enabled once they've started to drift, it has NO EFFECT in tightening the grids - I've experimented with this by nudging one of the tracks so that they are materially off, then pressing sync to tighten them...in this circumstance, it's like the sync button isn't even connected to anything. It's almost as if the players take on a mind of their own in this situation as I notice that even the tracks become relatively less responsive/reactive to manual nudging (i.e. there seems to be a delay with or without sync enabled). Hoping this helps to troubleshoot/diagnose the issue. My setup is 4x CDJnxs + DJM 900, pro link, most often playing off SD/iOS when live and wireless to MPB when prepping tracks. All updated with latest firmware, latest v of RB and majority of tracks are Beatport MP3s analyzed in normal mode with manual beat grid adjustments as needed. I've read CDJ, DJM, and RB manuals front-to-back multiple times and check forums daily, so safe to rule out user error (though I would love for this to be the case so I don't have to wait out another FW update).

Fox

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

18 commenti

Can I at least get some acknowledgement from a mod that this was read?  I'm on the verge of donating these decks to charity...  

Fox 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Ok - another issue.  I'm posting it here (i) in the desperate hope that the post above re: loop drift gets recognized and (ii) so that I don't need to describe my setup all over again.  One change to the setup though - I've returned two of the four CDJs.  Now that I'm left with only two, I've uncovered a new and terrifying issue: let's say I've got track 1 (master @ 128 bpm) and track 2 (slave @ 128 bpm) running on the two CDJs, sync enabled on both, quantize enabled on both CDJs, quantize enabled on mixer.  Now I take an 4-beat sample from track 1 using the roll effect on the DJM and load a new track to that CDJ once the 4-beat roll is up and running.  By the time I start mixing in the new track (sync enabled @ 128 bpm), the loop on the DJM has drifted into outer space.  Forget adjusting the master tempo at this point and expecting the two live tracks (CDJs) and the sample (DJM) to stay in sync.  Shouldn't these decks be cable of handling this?  I don't mean that in an obnoxious "shouldn't equipment this expensive be able to do this" way, I mean it in the "this is what this equipment is advertised to do, right?" kind of way.  Given the circumstances, one of the following must be true: (1) decks are capable of doing what I'm asking them to do but there's user error somewhere along the line, (2) decks are not capable of doing this or (3) decks are supposed to be capable of doing this, but they just aren't for some reason.  Someone please help.  Anyone.  On either issue.  

Fox 0 voti

Okay, I only have CDJ900's and non nexus (but same firmware) DJM2000 .......

The Roll and Slip Roll on the DJM does drift .... the new beatslicer is a much tighter option ... other than that I can't help .....

DJBostonGreen 0 voti

Fox it seems the mods wont respond anymore because they don't have any answers for us... And there are probably tired of getting there heads chopped off by us.. LOL There is no tech support here on this forum. The mods probably know less then what we do about the gear. (Since we are junkies) They are here to gather information and transfer it to the engineers for looking into. And of course make sure we keep the stupid-ness down to a minimum. LOL Plus it seems that it's just Gavin doing most of the heavy lifting here. And i'm sure he is burnt out by now... I think we are in standby mode right now waiting to see what Pioneer does to fix all these bugs. 

DJ Pete 0 voti

This is painful.  Is there any other channel for us to connect w/Pioneer?  I don't know about others' experiences but I've found that calling customer service here in North America is roughly equivalent to banging your head against the wall for an hour.

Fox 0 voti

Just to be clear fox, you're only experiencing loop drift in an active loop? Normal loops work ok for you?

Phil 0 voti

oh m8, don't get me started .... here in the uk, the listed service centers don't want to know at all. i've ended up going to a washing machine on line parts store to source my spares

DJBostonGreen 0 voti

oh m8, don't get me started .... here in the uk, the listed service centers don't want to know at all. i've ended up going to a washing machine on line parts store to source my spares

DJBostonGreen 0 voti

@Phil - I've had much more success with normal loops, I'd say 95% of the time I'll enter/exit a loop live without experiencing any drift.  On the other hand, I can almost count 100% on my active loops going out of time.  Something interesting: experimenting with it, I'll identify a 'problem' active loop when mixing, go back into RB and disengage it, take another run at the same mix and engage the EXACT same loop (i.e., # of beats + spot in the track) live using in/out on the player mixing into the same track on the other deck and there's NO DRIFT!  Something about the active loops seems completely out of whack.  Are less people complaining about this because it's not a commonly used feature?  I invested in the nexus decks (like many others) so I could ditch the laptop; since my particular style of mixing relies heavily on active loops, it was one of the key features on the nexus that allowed me to transition.  Not having this function is turning my world upside down; now basically, if I don't bring the laptop back I have to change up my style of mixing.  Woof.  Not what I had in mind.    

Fox 0 voti

I suspect not many people use it fox, however if it is messed up then pioneer will fix it. The best way is to shoot a quick video and put the link on here, the mods will pass it on to get fixed.

Phil 0 voti

you're bang on the money Fox, if you loop live using the in/out loop buttons, they stay bang in time for as long as, but if you use the auto beat loop they drift after about 2 passes and same if you use an active loop thats set in reckordbox ....

DJBostonGreen 0 voti

Thanks for confirming UBF.  What's auto beat loop?  Is that the automatic 4-bar loop that sets when holding 'loop-in' or setting a loop from the touch-strip (or both)?  I'm seeing the same in terms of timing as well - 2 passes it's off to the races.  Totally unmanageable.  They should strike this feature from the product description.   

Fox 0 voti

No need to strike any feature. I use it all the time and it works as you'd expect with no drift. Maybe upload a couple of tracks you have issues with fox and I'll test them.

Phil 0 voti

Thanks Phil - I can drop a few but I'm experiencing the issue with virtually every beatport mp3 in my library. One caveat is that I've got sync engaged on the incoming track 9 times out of 10. Are you prepping or executing with active loops any differently than my description above? If so let me know and I can try changing up my process to match and see if I get better results.

Fox 0 voti

I was referring to using the auto 4 bar loop, i don't use active loops but will test it when I get chance.

Phil 0 voti

I just tested active loops on a few random tracks, with sync turned on as you suggested and they looped perfectly fine. I left them running for 5 minutes and there wasn't the slightest drift.

I know brichi uses active loops and if there was a problem I'm sure he'd have voiced it on here. I suspect your tracks or beat grids might be the cause, if you upload a couple that you have issues with ill take a look.

Phil 0 voti

I think Phil is right, @Fox have u tried to switch between normal and dynamic mode when analysing tracks in RB? I have a couple of mash ups that starts on 128bpm and finishing on 126. When I used normal in RB it said that the track was 128. In dynamic it switches down to 126 when the mash up is playing... Try to look into this fox.
Hope this helps

Taang 0 voti