Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 follower Segui

CDJ-2000 NXS2 exFAT/NTFS support....?

Does anybody know if the new CDJ-2000 NXS2 supports either exFAT or NTFS file systems...?

I think it really would be the high time to have either of these as currently Windows users cannot use 64GB or larger USB-sticks or USB-drives in Pioneer products without downloading a 3rd party formatting tool. And even then you would lose the ability to save larger than 4GB files (because that is a limitation of FAT32, which Pioneer products do support).

Golemus Con risposta

Commento ufficiale

Yeah, this is pretty much why exFAT is not more widely adopted.

There's no problem with recording up to the 4GB mark; files would simply be split at that point and a new one created. I don't see that as being a problem in order to maintain universal compatibility with FAT32.

Or, y'know, use HFS+.

Pulse
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Il post è chiuso ai commenti.

29 commenti

nope, from the specs on the Pioneer page

USB storage support -  FAT, FAT32, HFS+
BriChi 0 voti

this is very bad news :(

GoPro Hero camera costs 120eur and it supports exFAT. CDJ-2000 NXS costs 2000eur or so (15-20x that price) and it does not support exFAT. So I dont believe it that exFAT license would be too expensive for it to be possible to be included to Pioneer DJ products.

http://www.amazon.de/GoPro-HERO-Actionkamera-megapixels-71/dp/B00O32GU6O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452776792&sr=8-2&keywords=go+pro

Like it or not, exFAT is THE disk format for portable media of the future. It is the only one without any partition or file size limitations that is fully supported (both read and write) by both Windows and OS X, and can have a full support for Linux by installing a fuse package.

exFAT has been available for 7 years already. 

Can you really believe that CDJ-2000 and all successors, the most expensive DJ media player in the world does not support media of Windows users that is 64GB or larger? Because this is precisely how it is currently, if what you write is true.

I am still very thankful for the FLAC support though :)

Golemus 1 voto

there are going to be so many pissed off guys in the future, I can already see it, all the dj's using FLAC/ALAC on their drives, getting to the club to realize the decks are Nexus and not Nexus2

even if they did exfat i would still format FAT or HFS+ knowing i would be able to play on any deck put in front of me

BriChi 1 voto

You're right in that exFAT will eventually become the new standard, however, it won't happen anytime soon. However, put yourself if Pioneer's shoes: if the new CDJ-NXS2 (mk2) were equipped to handle exFAT but not all the clubs around the world had upgraded their setup yet, could you imagine the backlash that would come from DJ's who went to the club with their exFAT drive only to discover said club still had the CDJ-NXS2000 (mk1)? It would be a nightmare.

In addition (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but Microsoft owns the patent for several aspects of the exFAT format. Hence, companies wishing to implement exFAT within their own products would surely have to shell out some coin. It's one of the reasons Apple never wished to implement Flash into their iOS devices–licensing fees.

Lastly, the reason GoPro has exFAT ability? They partner with Microsoft.

Cheers.

lostnthesound 0 voti

Well, a professional DJ will confirm in advance what gear will or will not be available at the venue.

You could apply your statement to the current state of affairs in the following way:

"imagine the backlash that would come from DJ's who went to the club with their USB drive only to discover said club still had the CDJ-1000mk3? It would be a nightmare."

And there still is clubs that have CDJ-1000, CDJ-800 or even older players ;)

Golemus 0 voti

I agree 100%, a true professional will do the leg work BUT I think its easy for a guy at the other end of a phone you call asking for a nexus 2 to confuse you asking if he has a CDJ-2000 nexus vs nexus 2  vs you asking for a cdj-2000 nexus and theres a cdj-1000 there. they will see the word nexus and just say yes regardless, thats why i just bring my own shit, LOL

BriChi 0 voti

Here is some cheap products with exFAT support:

- GoPro Hero camera (120eur)
- Acer Iconia B3-A20 android tablet (150eur)
- ZyXEL NAS540 HD server (200eur)
- Canon Ixus 160 camera (100eur)

Golemus 0 voti

Cost is the same reason NTFS was never added to Pioneer products. If Pioneer needed to license exFAT to include it in the products, when FAT32 and HFS+ do just fine, why would they bother?

Pulse 0 voti

Because they are not doing just fine, especially not for Windows users. HFS+ is not option at all and in my tests I could not copy tunes to FAT32 partition larger than 32GB as Windows7 Windows Explorer (falsely) said that the hard drive was full (even though that it was empty). I repeated this couple of times with the same result and my only conlusion is that Windows7 has incompabilities with FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB.

And if you need the same HD or USB stick for storing files larger than 4GB (as audio/video professionals often need) then it is also not an option as FAT32 does not support files larger than 4GB.

Golemus 0 voti

@Golemus > I have 2TB drives formatted FAT32 and don't have a problem with Windows 7, 8 or 10. Perhaps you need to use a 3rd party utility to re-partition and format your drive?

Pulse 0 voti

Dj Kiki what do you mean "it works not good" ? I have 2 ssd drives 256gb, booth fat 32 formated and usb3.0. They are stable in the usb3.0 port of my pc, and also on the cdj's. I'm getting a transfer speed about 6000tracks/15mins exporting them from rekordbox. So what else should they do?

Anastasio 0 voti

Yet here I am using 128GB drives that work just fine at FAT32... Funny that.

Pulse 0 voti

Or my 512GB SSD ... 500GB conventional HD, 1TB conventional HD or 2TB conventional HD, also formatted FAT32, never showing signs of inefficiency.

Pulse 0 voti

Dj Kiki you are a bit unfair at least to me :) I am everything else but not a blind pioneer defender my friend. I'm just saying it can work, and i don't have any issues. That's all. Yes, i'm with you, there should be ntfs and exfat support. Don't care if it cost's. cdj's cost's also... But now i have to work with what there is.

No ironies at all, pls explain, what difference is there? You say hdd is ok when it's fat32 but usb stick have issues (after 32gb capacity)? I don't see any speed problem with my hdd on the cdj's. My "complain" is that the loading of hot cues could be faster, but i think that's a cdj "thing". At least for the nexus1.

Anastasio 0 voti

No problem. Just think that Pulse is doing his Job here, and also he helped us a lot of times. Also we don't need all to have the same opinion :).

However i recommend to you to get ssd (samsung pro, or intel 530) and a usb3.0 enclosure like this:
and also a cable like this:
I changed many cases, ssd's and cables to end up to this pictures. Very important the type A/A connector, the new usb3.0 connector breaks very easy. So i get export speeds about 240mb/s from a pc usb 3.0 port. I can guarantee to you, there is nothing better, faster or stabler to work with rekordbox and cdj's.

Anastasio 0 voti

I'm not talking about $5 or $10 for the licensing, it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive, which is why it hasn't been considered. The Pioneer product engineers, whose JOB it is to design and create these products seem to be satisfied with the performance of USB drives using FAT32, so what's the problem?

Pulse 0 voti

FYI, the new Gemini and Denon units support NTFS in read-only mode.

Response to Pulse since the thread now appears locked...

But read-only of these other drive formats is more useful than not being able to read them at all, even if write capability is even more useful.  It would also allow people with very large drives to not have to worry about the CDJs corrupting the directory file system tree with its constant writes on Fat32 drives, which often eventually leads to ER-83 codes and a need to do a dskchk and repair.  If you don't add a read-only mode in the settings of these players, NTFS read-only mode would be quite useful for that, in addition to the benefit over read-never-mode that NTFS currently subsists at on Pioneer players.

Reticuli 1 voto

Read-only is incredibly useful for DJs who want to adjust beat grids, rate tracks, and store histories.

Pulse -1 voti