Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 follower Segui

Which USB stick is everyone using?

I would love to know which USB sticks people are using because I have been having major issues with mine as below.

I have recently bought two CDJ2000NEXUS and used a SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 with the LAN cables connected via a switching hub. I recorded some of my vinyl to WAV at 24Bit 48KHz and imported them into recordbox, sorted out cue points etc. and about half an hour in of just normal mixing, when I pressed the top of the jog dial and then selected a point on the needle search strip, the player that had the usb in just froze and said now loading, and never loaded. I tried formatting the USB via my PC using 3rd party software, suggested by SanDisk technical help 3 times as suggested in an earlier post and synced it again in RB. It happens in whichever player the USB is in whether the LAN is connected via switching hub or direct to the other player. I have used two of the same USB's in player 1 and 2 at the same time and the screen freezes in both. For some strange reason whichever player the USB is not in, plays the frozen track with no problem over the LAN connected to the player with the USB stick in. I have tried it every which way I could and it still happens. I have been in touch with pioneer UK and they say they are waiting for Japan to send them some CDJ's to try and recreate what is happening. No news for two weeks now. I have had to use a SanDisk 32GB SDHC card instead and this seems to have sorted the problem. My only problem is, all my files are WAV files so I can only have a certain amount on the USB at any one time because they are obviously bigger files. It does the same thing on a HAMA 32GB USB 2.0 stick.

Gareth Millers

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

33 commenti

Should I send my CDJ's back to Digital Village (DV24/7) for replacements? They have said that that would be no problem. I still havene't heard back from Pioneer yet.
Kind regards,
Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

I use Super Talent Pico USB 32 GB since years, small and shiny and never had any problem. Years ago I tried a Trekstor Travel stick but it didn't go well with my original 900's. It got fried.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 voti

@Gareth > SanDisk USB drives have been the subject of complaints by more than one DJ, I recommend users stay away from them. It could be the memory controller causing the problem, and it's possible your HAMA drive uses the same brand chip to manage the drive. The problem is likely not with your CDJs, but the USB drives themselves.

Pulse 0 voti

Hi and thank you for your replies. I had a great session recording my show mix last night...over two hours worth after formatting the SanDisk with the HP Formatting software suggested in a previous post. I went to play tonight and it started up again on the third track, all I did was press the Jog Dial with my thumb while in play mode and then pressed the needle search strip with my finger at the loudest part of the song so I could set my gain and the screen froze again.
So miffed with this whole situation.
Is there no way anyone can compile a list of usable USB sticks to use with these CDJ's to prevent others having the same issue.
I am not using mp3's and want to use something bigger to take all my WAV files. Some mixed reviews on AMAZON about the Pico Super Talent. Not sure I want to spend 35 quid again to find out that it does not work.
Any more ideas on something that will work well with a pc in recordbox and the CDJ2000Nexus would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from anyone on this.
At the moment I am stuck with using a sandisk 32gb SDHC card. This works perfectly and was advised to use this by a friend that plays all over the world. He takes two with him just in case the gig don't supply a LAN cable ffrom player to player.
Kind regards,
Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti

Any suggestions on which ones to use at 64 GB or even 128GB would be greatly appreciated...or maybe even external SSD drives?

Gareth Millers 0 voti

I think some of the mixed reviews of the Pico USB is for the 64 GB version not being able to be formatted in one partition in FAT32. That is a limitation of FAT32, not the USB stick. If you‘re on an Apple computer, use HFS+ and you will have no problem with larger units. Works on all high end CDJ's, tried on 850 and up.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 voti

Unfortunately Pioneer does not have a list of makes and models as there are simply too many on the market to be able to test them all, and manufacturers may change parts suppliers mid-run of a product so two identical model numbers may contain different internals.

Pulse 0 voti

Thank you both for your input.
I am using a Windows 7 Laptop with an Intel i5 2.70 Dual Core Processor, 128 Gig SSD and 750 Gig 7200RPM Secondary Drive, 8 GB RAM.
Mac is out of the question for me.
Hi Henrik. Any ideas on which one I can use on a Windows Laptop.
I am using the SanDisk 32GB SDHC card at the moment and it is working fine. I have tried a SanDisk 64GB SDXC 1 card formatted to FAT32 but RecordBox will not recognise it. The lap top does but not RecordBox. So I guess I am stuck with 32GB SDHC cards for now until I can find out which USB stick will be suitable for use with my setup.
Thank you Pulse for also answering my questions.
If any of you know of someone who has the same kind of setup as I do and they are using a USB stick that works fine, lease let me know.
Kind regards,
Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti

I'm using the verbatim 128gb 1.8 ssd.. amazing device, loads the tracklist blazing faster compared to any other usb stick I used in the past.

Fabio 0 voti

Cheers Fabio
Is that via a windows system and recordbox then into the CDJ2000Nexus?
Kind regards,
Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti

Greetings Gareth, I'm happily using it under win7, record box, cdj 900nxs and xdj-rx.

Fabio 0 voti

Thanx Fabio. Cool. So, I am using my 24Bit 48KHz WAV files recorded from vinyl. That's what I have been having problems with. What files are you using on yours?

Gareth Millers 0 voti

standard mp3@320kb Gareth, in my opinion you should compress those wavs, I bet anyone spot the difference in a live club environment.. :) but as said, just my opinion!

Fabio 0 voti

I tried that but they seem to be doing the same thing. Maybe the files are corrupted anyway in the first place. Thing is I can play them from a SDHC card with no problem at all. I can only store so many tunes on those. Not that I would want to play 32 GB of tunes in a night...lol...not possible anyway. It would just be easier to update the whole recordbox list to it.
What about formatting it to FAT32 for it to work on the CDJ2000Nexus and RecordBox. What did you use or is it FAT32 formatted anyway?

Gareth Millers 0 voti

My ears are so used to vinyl man that an MP3 sounds so tinny in my cans at the moment.

Gareth Millers 0 voti

they came formatted in exfat, and it was not very friendly to the xdj, so I googled for a tool to format big drives in fat32 and got the job done.. I noticed also a little performance decrease, but always faster than any other usb stick I used before.

Fabio 0 voti

You can probably find it on eBay cheaper than the official site.. at least I did.

Fabio 0 voti

Cool.
I went into the Questions section on the Verbatim site and it automatically downloaded their Formatting tool to my laptop for some reason.
Have found it on Amazon for...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-47622-128GB-USB-External/dp/B008OE0S56

and for the 250GB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-47681-256GB-Vx450-External/dp/B00J88UTS8/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QTV5C1KJJ7TY4J2WZPF

Will check on ebay now.
Thank you for your help and time. I really appreciate it.
So basically, use the cable supplied with it and plug it into my windows laptop, format it to FAT32 then sync my Recordbox collection, eject it and unplg from the laptop and plug the cable with it on the other end into the CDJ2000Nexus and go...?

Gareth Millers 0 voti

just as a normal usb stick, with the difference of an ssd controller.. don't know about the size, I'm fine with my 128gb, as I prefer mix with one drive for every cdj.. I have two identical drives. But I guess that you need bigger drives for wavs.. I noticed that the Amazon's 256gb is the VX, that is a different model from the one I have(that is the first one you posted), supposedly better seen the specs, but it is not the one I actually have and used.

Fabio 0 voti

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-47622-128GB-USB-External/dp/B008OE0S56 Is this the one the same as what you used?
I will wait and see what anyone else has to say...just being careful at the moment because I have tried so many usb's now and it is costing me the earth already...lol.
Thank you very much for your input. I realy appreciate your time. G. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and week ahead.

Gareth Millers 0 voti

yep, that's the one, not the VX serie. always nice chatting about tech stuff, no problem! kindly keep the thread up to date, want to know too if there is something better! all the best, ciao!

Fabio 0 voti

Will do. Glad to find someone willing to share and chat about the problems I have been encountering...still no news from Pioneer after I sent them a five page essay on all the things I have tried and the problems...lol...what can you do...life goes on.

Gareth Millers 0 voti

one last thing, keep in mind that this is no stick, you'll have a tiny cable to connect it to the cdj, and then have to lay it around, I used some velcro tape and when I plug them I stick them on the side of the cdj.

Fabio 0 voti

Handy advice. Will do that for sure. Thank you again.

Gareth Millers 0 voti

Hi Fabio, I bought one of the Verbatim SSD's and the problem persists. I have been informed that the engineers are aware of the issue and are working towards the root of the problem.

Gareth Millers 0 voti

Even if they're aware of the issue, it doesn't mean there will be a resolution. I would recommend finding other devices which do play nicely with the Pioneer gear rather than hoping a fix rolls along.

Pulse 0 voti

Pioneer have very kindly fixed my issue after 3 and a bit months. I am just running some tests this to see if it has finally been solved for good. Thank you Pioneer for working on this. Kind regards, Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti

So, I have tested the file read problem and managed to complete a whole two hour show using the Verbatim 128 GB SSD USB Drive. I am so, so grateful for all your hard work Pioneer. I knew you could do it and am glad I took the time to compile the issue data to help you sort it out. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Kind regards, Gareth

Gareth Millers 0 voti