Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 follower Segui

CDJ 900 Nexus Plays Whitenoise At Start of Track.

Hi there, after i have imported certain tracks in rekordbox they play fine if using the application. However if then either import them onto cdj 900 nexus via lync or usb stick the very first part of the track before the kick drum comes in plays as white noise. On the track itself there is just blank waveform before it starts. Almost as if there is a bug in that no sound will play as white noise. Only happens on certain tracks but deleting and re-importing does not solve the issue.

I can then use the usb on any cdj player 900/2000/850 and the very first part will play as whitenoise. To get round it i have to create a hotcue or cue point just past the whitenoise.

Anyone else experienced this one? I am using the latest rekord box and have been using it for years so pretty comfortable using it.

travellingpom

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

13 commenti

What is the file format of the track(s) you're experiencing this with? What is the bit depth / sample rate of those files?

Pulse 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Hi Pulse, It appears these are all standard wav files 16bit /44.1khz that have the issue. AIFF are not affected. I also notice some other bugs with the affected tracks in that the waveform is perfectly beat gridded in rekordbox though the waveform displayed on the cdj is off centre. For example if you set a cue point in rekordbox and it is exactly on the kick drum (quantize on) when you play on the cdj the cue point is correct on the kick drum to hear though the waveform has moved way off. As said before on wav files affected. I could convert them to AIFF which i am sure would solve but i do have alot of affected wav files and would prefer if there was a firmware update to sort out the bug?

Many thanks

travellingpom 0 voti

The issue with the whitenoise could be to do with another application adding garbage metadata to your file and the CDJ trying to play the audio header but finding data there instead. Could you Dropbox one of those files for me?

As for the waveform, I'll need you to record a video as I'm not 100% clear and the engineers would be even more lost if I forwarded that text to them. ;)

Pulse 0 voti

Hi again, first picture shows the track how it is present in rekordbox with the cue point on the beat. Second picture is where on the waveform the actual kick drum (sound) is on the cdj. notice it is skewed to the right of the cue point.

here is a recording of the whitenoise at the beginning of a wav track

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf95myext4smqtr/CDJ900NXS%20Whitenoise.wav?dl=0

The actual wav file is unaffected and plays normally (including in rekordbox). The distortion is only on when played on the cdj player.

full master track here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhnlrmrjgyee5vp/MR%20Given%20Raw%20-%20Do%20I%20Told%20Ya%20-%20FKR.wav?dl=0

travellingpom 0 voti

I see what the problem is -- it's the A&H mixer beside the player! ;) j/k

I loaded up the track into rekordbox and linked my CDJ-900NXS and it didn't do what you describe, nor did it sound anything like your recording. What firmware version are you running? Mine's 1.20. Does it only happen when exported to USB or over ethernet as well?

Regarding the waveform / cue / beat position, the grid appears accurate -- is that image showing the cue on the player at that position? It's a bit hard to see the screen to tell for sure.

Pulse 0 voti

Hi Pulse, I guess there would have to be a joke about the A&H on a pioneer forum !

I am running firmware 1.22 on the cdj 900 nxs.

It happens both ethernet or usb an stays so i can plug into any cdj 850/2000/900 and still get the same issue.

Regarding the beat possition. the bottom picture shows that where the actual beat is does not represent where it is showing on the waveform on the cdj. the beatgrid on the cdj lcd looks correct on the waveforms however the centre point marker is where i have moved the wheel to where the beat starts almost as if the waveform is showing behind the actual sound. Hard to explain though another explaination could be if you where using the jog wheel in vinyl mode to cue up the beat by ear (like you would vinyl) you would expect if you looked at the lcd for the beat to be on the waveform. it isnt it is way past it.

Hope that makes sense!

travellingpom 0 voti

Ahhhh - so the audio doesn't match the waveform. I'm wondering if that's also due to the offset length of the white noise? I'm going to pass this on to our rekordbox team to see if they know what's going on with the files.

Pulse 0 voti

Thanks mate really appreciate it. has been bothering me for a while with the white noise ahead of the track. The audio not matching the waveform is an interesting one though!

Also as i mentioned before this only happens with some wavs. Aiff and mp3s are fine and never have an issue with them.

travellingpom 0 voti

I've created a ticket for you - check your inbox for info.

Pulse 0 voti

@travellingpom  

very interesting picture. I understand this matches the below release note.

I'm interested in this time shift because some mp3s converted between DJ softwares result in these time shifts as well. This renders the converted cues and loops useless for these tracks.

This effect was partially correlated to specific mp3s encoders, and the specific differences between Rekordbox ad Traktor library decoders.
https://github.com/digital-dj-tools/dj-data-converter/issues/3

https://rekordbox.com/en/support/releasenote.php

Ver.1.5.4 (2012.07.03)
Version 1.5.4 disables gapless playback for MP3 files encoded with the LAME encoder on players such as the CDJ-2000. Disabling gapless playback for MP3 files encoded with the LAME encoder in Version 1.5.4 will shift existing beat grids, loops or cue points of mp3 files encoded with the LAME encoder that have been analysed and adjusted with an older version of rekordbox. The offset value depends on the sampling frequency of the file: 24ms (in the case of 48kHz), 26ms (in the case of 44.1 kHz). However, it does not alter the audio play back on the CDJ's just visually inside rekordbox,

pedro estrela 0 voti

Hello, Was there any outcome for this ? I have the same issue for some tracks when playing out on cdj 2000's. Would love a solution for this. Thanks in advance. 

Carl Mcgrath 0 voti

@Carl > This was a very limited issue - I looked at the ticket and it had been placed on hold because the engineers were unable to locate any specific cause of this and it was not occurring on newer players, so it was a low priority.

Pulse 0 voti