Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

LINK via Ethernet switch - Emergency Loop? VLAN? (also disable auto hot cue load?)

I recently picked up a gigabit Ethernet switch (a LinkSys 3016). I've hardwired everything in my room that connects to the internet through it, and connected my DJM/CDJ setup (DJM900NXS, 2x CDJ2000, 2x CDJ2000NXS) to the switch as well.

The CDJs and mixer have no problem seeing each other and receiving data, but I'm running into some problems I've never had before. Tracks are taking what feels like way too long to load (see below for an additional issue with this), and for the first time I'm experiencing the CDJs' 'EMERGENCY LOOP' feature killing my mixes. At one point the link dropped entirely between the CDJs and I was unable to load tracks from the SSD connected to the first CDJ2000.

Is it possible that the other devices connected to my switch, or the switch itself, are interfering with Pioneer's Link protocol? Is there a way to correct this within the switch? A friend suggested isolating the CDJs/DJM to their own VLAN on the switch, so they do not communicate with anything else. Will this work? What about computers with Rekordbox that also share the switch, can I put them on that VLAN as well to utilize the computers' Rekordbox library through the Linked CDJs?

The other issue, a small one but contributing to the length of time it takes to load tracks, is that I can't seem to disable Auto Hotcue Load on the pair of CDJ2000NXS. It's set to 'off' on all of the storage media I have been playing tracks from, but the hotcues still automatically load, taking up precious seconds that could be used for prelistening and manually cueing.

Thanks for your time.

zedOPERATIONS

Commento ufficiale

Just looking at that network switch product page doesn't instil confidence... first, the features list QoS, whose traffic shaping / management can result in packet loss or discarding, and the second was one of the reviews where the user noted failing hardware causing problems.

To eliminate your switch as being the source of these issues, please try connecting a single CDJ directly to your computer's ethernet connection and see if the load times are similar.

Pulse
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

4 commenti

Damn. :( Indeed, connecting a single CDJ to the computer speeds up load times from Rekordbox.

Can you recommend a replacement switch that should work for my DJ setup as well as allow traffic to/from all of my devices (computers, TV, PS4 etc.). Ideally, a managed switch, and ideally, fanless. Thanks!

zedOPERATIONS 0 voti

You'd want an unmanaged switch, and I would personally go with something that is isolated; keep your DJ setup separate from the traffic of all the other network devices.

Pulse 0 voti

This can't be done via an isolated VLAN on my existing switch? prior to my four-deck setup I had my DJM/x2CDJ/x2 MacBooks connected via a five-port switch, and the laptops running Rekordbox would both show up on the CDJs' LINK tab and work great (and these were pre-Nexus 2000s!). After that, I had a friend set up a Cisco Catalyst switch with a private six-port VLAN for my DJM900/4xCDJ2000s, and the VLAN seemed to work well to this end, with little latency and no Emergency Loop. I ditched that switch because it was loud and too cumbersome for my purposes. Is it worth a try, setting up a VLAN for my DJ gear (and ideally three computers running Rekordbox), or as you mentioned is the unit itself and its use of QoS a deal breaker to this end?

Thanks again for all of your help.

zedOPERATIONS 0 voti