Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 follower Segui

CDJ-Tour1 / DJM-Tour1 - large screens cannot browse library on PC

Hope you can help to clarify/fix below issue with CDJ-Tour1 & DJM-Tour1.

The large screens cannot browse music (waveform is ok). Under the Browse menu the large screen is showing; Link / USB / SD on CDJ ("no device" on DJM).

The source of the library is "rekordbox-1" (Windows-10 PC running version 5.6.0 of rekordbox in Export mode).

The library is too large for any USB/SD-cards, and the browsing and loading of the library from the PC on the CDJ-Tour1 is working on the small screen.

DJM-Tour1 has the same browsing problem.

Link-1 is showing OK on the PC/rekordbox. PC is on a wired LAN directly to the DJM. All firmware are updated.

Please let me know how to browse on the large screens.

Thanks!

Studio 45

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

12 commenti

I have the same issue. Unfortunately I believe doesn't isn't possible. But I really hope I am wrong.

Junior Morales 0 voti
Comment actions Permalink

"The library is too large for any USB/SD-cards" -- how big is the library? I guarantee it can be loaded on a USB device into a CDJ.

I'll have to inquire with our engineers regarding browsing a rekordbox linked collection on the large display.

Pulse 0 voti

The audio library is 4T+ of FLAC songs (150k lossless audio tracks), and 2-4T of video tracks (15k HD video clips, testing H264 20Mbps MP4 with frequent key-frames) - and growing.

Please suggest how to arrange 8T+ USB using FAT32 file-system - and the expected time to update/export the library from Rekordbox when new tracks are added daily.

Thanks for looking into a meaningful usage of the large displays on the CDJs.

The best will be keeping Rekordbox on the PC maintaining the master library, and provide a user-friendly access on the CDJs to use the library on-line (otherwise the large displays are useless because we got the waveforms on the large display on the mixer).

Look forward to receive good news soon - thanks a lot in advance.

Studio 45 0 voti

You can actually format FAT32 partitions up to 16TB in size, just not with the built-in Windows tools. You'll need a 3rd party utility to do so. Whether the players can read that is possibly a different story, but they can't read video files anyhow so that's kind of a moot point.

I'll let you know when I hear back from the engineers re: the display.

Pulse 0 voti

Okay, so here's the deal...

When you use a USB device, it's loading an export database which is a different size and format from the primary rekordbox database. That export database is loaded to the player's RAM to allow for quick searching and browsing of tracks. When using it with rekordbox in a link configuration, the database is too large to buffer to the RAM on the player in order to be browsed directly on the TOUR1 unit.

Because the player is also loading the library data over the network, it would need to have some kind of server/client established in order to handle the pushing of that data to the TOUR1 (which, due to its design, is more advanced than a regular CDJ, running an additional OS for the upper display), and the engineers are hesitant to develop that kind of service as it would possibly result in a less performance-oriented experience on both the host (computer) and the client (TOUR1).

Pulse 0 voti

Thanks for your quick reply.

However I do not buy "the deal" because the server/client operation is already working on the small display on the CDJ-TOUR1 in a link configuration.

What I am missing is the same functions on the large display. No need to buffer any data differently as the network, computer and software are already working.

Hope you understand and can convince the developer that it is very meaningful to have the same functions from the small display available on the large display. The larger display provides a better overview and easier to operate (instead of feeling stupid on the small displays while the large displays are not in use).

Look forward to hear from you.

thanks a lot!

Studio 45 0 voti

I don't think the engineers will mind if you "buy" it or not - that was the answer they gave me, take it or leave it.

Please understand that the small display works differently than the large display, which as I already noted, runs a dedicated OS to function. Having the data from rekordbox ported to that OS is not as easy as it may seem, regardless of any existing capacity to display it on the small screen.

Pulse 0 voti

Is this something the engineers would even be interested to accomplish? I'm in the same boat, i have roughly 2TB worth of music myself and growing. Coming from a DDJ-RZ and going to a TOUR setup, I almost wish I didn't get the setup. Having the 3 large screens is nice when using a USB stick but I don't have access to my entire library this way. I still have to go back to using my laptop when needing more music.. Yes I'm aware I can export everything to USB or SD cards but it just feels that a 12K setup should be able to accomplish this. If the engineers would be willing to try anything I would be more then willing to be a beta tester. LMK thanks.

Junior Morales 0 voti

If I recall from the planning / development process, the feeling was the majority of DJs using the TOUR1 would be playing from USBs, and for any who wanted to link rekordbox, the laptop display would be used for that purpose, so they could save the resources and cost of developing those features. I understand that they are premium players, but it could well be that had they included this feature they would have been even more expensive (this is purely speculation on my part).

I'm not sure if they would consider creating this functionality at this point, but the request and feedback has been delivered, so it's in their hands.

Pulse 0 voti

Thanks for the feedback, and for passing on the request to the great development team.

Understand it is between a bug fix and a feature request. Had I known the link feature was not supported, I would instead had invested in the normal CDJs (and not the premium  TOUR1 version).

My set-up is without a laptop, so the only interface is the large screen (using a powerful and redundant PC running rekordbox away from the desks).

I am also willing to be a beta-tester, and hope development/support for the TOUR1 line is still prioritized by Pioneer DJ.

Thanks in advance!

Studio 45 0 voti

Thanks again for the feedback on it - the information was passed from the engineers to the planning team, so it would be a decision on their end as to whether they deem it's worth investing to develop this functionality. If there are an opportunities for beta testing firmware (which is seldom), we'll let users know in a post. Cheers!

Pulse 0 voti