Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

24-bit or 16-bit Output for Tour 1 System Decks

Hey Guys. I'm just wondering if there is any issue with having the SPDIF output on CDJ Tour 1 decks switched to 24-bit given that most CDs & Mastered WAV/AIFF files are encoded at 16-bit? The decks are networked via the DJM Tour 1 Mixer and connected with Van Damme SPDIF cables. Our PA feed is usually run via the Balanced Master Outs on the DJM, not digitally. Cheers

Illumashroom

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

2 commenti

I've looked into this recently.  There is no advantage to forcing the CDJ SPDIF output into 16 bit unless the output is feeding something that can't see 24 bit.  At worst, the extra unused bits are getting padded if the pitch fader is at zero. At best, the pitch change and master tempo is being done in 24 bit domain instead of 16 and there is no disadvantage to that, only advantages.  Now, if you played 24 bit files, having forced the SPDIF into 16 bit would be degrading.  Sample rate would be a different situation, but the CDJs change to match the file played.

Reticuli 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Thanks for your reply dude. I’ll keep the system set at 24-bit.To be honest I’m sure we’ll get artists coming along with 24-bit files as well as 16-bit on their memory sticks, so it makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something important. Nice one 😊

Illumashroom 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink