Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

One Library, 2 computers? NAS Question

Hi,

So I have 2 computer.  One "high end" desktop (well 8 core / 16 thread CPU), and one "ageing" Macbook Pro.

I generally only use the MBP for DJ stuff.  So it has Rekordbox on it, and Audacity for recording mixes.  It's a late 2012 i5 with 16GB Ram and an SSD.

I also have a NAS where I keep my music collection.  And that music collection drive is network mapped on both the PC and the MBP.

What I would like to do, is to keep the library on the NAS, Process and sort the tracks and playlists etc... on my MUCH faster PC, but when I turn on my MBP, the process of adding these processed tracks / playlists is relatively simple / quick.

I'd rather not go down the route of keeping my library on a seperate USB drive if possible, since I already have everything I "should" need.  Although I do have a portable 500GB SSD if there is really no good way to achieve what I want.

Basically, I'm assuming there is a database file somewhere (XML maybe?) that has all the relevant track / playlist data on there.  Can such a file be held on the NAS, and both instances of Rekordbox access that same file?

Stewart Macdonald Con risposta

Commento ufficiale

@Stewart > Because you're on two different platforms, I'm not even going to recommend you go down this path. You can find some of my instructions here on creating a "cloud" share, and some may apply to a NAS, but that's as far as we can officially support.

Pulse
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

3 commenti

Thanks Pulse.  I have come across your instructions for this before.  But as you say, because its two different OS, it could be more problematic.

I can't be the only person who would wish to work between two different platforms though?  

Maybe it's time to sell the MBP and go back to a windows machine for DJ stuff.  I couldn't move over to Apple OS full time, as I REALLY dislike their products / ethos.  Although I did find it a touch easier for plug & play for DJ stuff, hence why I have it.

Stewart Macdonald 0 voti

I wish I could tell you that we have an awesome solution in the pipeline, but I can't.

Pulse 0 voti