Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

Connecting DJM-750mk1 to Speakers through mixing table

Hi,

Noob question here.

A) I have a DJM-750 Mk1 (first generation), which has both XLR (balanced) and RCA for main output, and RCA (unbalanced) for booth monitor. I believe you are familiar with it.

B) I also have a pair of Pioneer Bulit 5 speakers, which has RCA, TRS (which my mixer doesn't) and XLR inputs.

I want to connect my mixer (A) to my speakers (B), through XLR, however without making a direct connection to it. Instead, I want to have a mixing table in the middle, so I don't have to adjust the volume on speakers directly.

Also, I want to keep the master level on DJM-750 at 0db, because I like to have the light meters on master channel.

I'm looking for a small mixing table capable of handling two XLR inputs (stereo, L and R, line level) and two XLR or TRS outputs, to feed the speakers, with independent volume control.

I don't know if this is the best practice or not. So, I want to hear from more experienced guys if this is possible, since most of mixing tables I saw use MIC level input (and I think DJM output is line level). Furthermore, I read about "phantom power" that could burn my mixer output. I want to be careful with that and not burn anything, speakers, fone, mixer, etc.

Thank you

Guilherme Galindo

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

3 commenti

Hey Guilherme,

Can I suggest that you use the BOOTH RCA output from the DJM to route to the speakers? That eliminates the need for the extra hardware between just for volume control of the speakers, while keeping your master at 0dB.

Let me know if that suits your needs.

Pulse 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Hi,

This was my first option (booth out). But I'm not confident enough to use two Mono RCAs connected from the back of mixer to the speakers. I have the feeling that they are going to unplug easily, or have low audio quality. I may be wrong, but my first choice is XLR.

I was looking at Mackie Mix5, from RCA [MASTER 2] to TRS 1/4 (adapter, which I don't like) an then speakers using TRS.

Thank you

Guilherme Galindo 0 voti

TBH, I've never had an RCA cable unplug itself, even with cheap cables, and the audio quality difference is not discernible over a run of less than 25' - any longer than that and you risk the unbalanced / unshielded cables acting as an antennae for external signals, but again, I've never had that really be an issue in all my years as a DJ.

If you are wanting to go the balanced output route, the Mix5 would be a suitable option as an external level control.

Pulse 0 voti