Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Segui

Internal vs. external mixer mode

Hello, I'm deciding which mixer to buy. I'm interested in some of the DJM models, but I have a general doubt.

I know there are mixers that, plugged to the computer, work in internal mix mode (i.e. Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol Z2 and Numark Scratch). On the other side, there are mixers that work in external mixer mode, like the DJM ones (even some DDJ, if I'm not wrong). I know this because Pioneer DJ still include block diagrams in the user manuals (thank you very much, by the way! +1 for Pioneer DJ because this)

I scratch, and I experimented latency problems in the past for some scratch techniques (i.e. fast chirp scratches) with external DVS audio interfaces with an audio/USB buffer bigger than 5 ms. This is because the audio file played with DVS has that lag, but not the crossfader: the coordination between hands should be different to achieve the same result as with an analog setup.

However, with the Z2, I notice it doesn't matter, because the latency applies the same to the audio file AND the crossfader. It seems that the brain can handle better a whole lag, than just lag for one hand and not for the other one.

So, my question is: what drives Pioneer DJ (and other brands) to make equipment that works in external mixer mode? Is there any advantage against internal mixer mode? Sound quality for very, very big sound systems, for example?

Thank you for your time.

Bronxio

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.