Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

5フォロワー フォローする

Can i run Rekordbox from an external HD?

I'm wondering if it's possible to run Rekordbox from an external hard drive, meaning all the music files, playlists, gridding and loops points are all stored on the external HD. As i am copying one library from my main computer and want to transfer it all to my secondary computer but it doesn't have enough space for all the tunes, so basically can I run it from the harddrive instead?

Thanks

Jamielloydtaylor 回答済み

ログインしてコメントを残してください。

13件のコメント

Yes, you just have to store the database on the external drive along with the music.  In the advanced tab you can set the database to either internal or external.

Jay 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Thanks for you help Jay!

So how would i go about exporting my database to my external?

Jamielloydtaylor 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Hi, one final query! I've managed to move the database onto my external HD and it works fine from there, but is there a way to keep 2 copies of the master database? One on my main laptop, and one on the external HD?

Jamielloydtaylor 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

the issue is now that i've moved the master database to an external, Rekordbox no longer finds my original directories which are situated in individual sub folders in iTunes Media, so without having to go and click each individual track, how can i re-scan iTunes to allow Rekordbox to discover the directories?

Jamielloydtaylor 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Select all - rightclick on one of the missing files, relocate - and after you find the file it's asking for, it will pop-up and ask if you want to use the same "move" to relocate the other files, click "Yes" and it should find them all for you in one action.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Thank you for your response, however this doesn't quite solve the issue,

All songs have been imported orignally track by track from itunes, which are located in sub folders in itunes media,

Ultimately after moving the database the pathways have changed and Rekordbox doesn't have the function to scan the original itunes media folder where all the files still remain, leaving the option to find each track individually which as you know would be incredibly time consuming.

Let me know of any options here.

Jamielloydtaylor 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

The database existing on an external drive isn't the problem with your missing files; it's capable of having music located anywhere your computer can find it. The paths of the music files themselves remain the same - only the database was moved.

If you're allowing iTunes to manage your music, any changes made to metadata within iTunes (eg. changing the artist name, album title, etc), can result in the audio files being moved within the iTunes Media folder. This is a bad thing, especially when synced with other software (eg. rekordbox) which relies on the path of the music remaining constant. These changes can result in many different new file locations, thus a global-find/replace option doesn't work.

My recommendation of your options is as follows:

1) If you have a lot of playlists / cue / memory markers, spend the time relocating your files (and turn off that blasted "allow iTunes to manage my files" option).

2) If you just keep all the music in rekordbox but don't do much to it, remove it all and then use the Sync Manager to re-import all your playlists and music.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Hi guys I'm literally having the exact same issue with all my files being imported directly from Itunes into my RB collection...My computer is about to die on me and I'm trying to move everything to my new laptop and hopefully have my rekordbox running from my external HD...Has anything been changed or updated to assist with this problem? Literally thousands of tracks all with hot cues...There must be a way...HELPPPP

Lee Wells 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

1) Run a backup; File > Library > Backup Library. Include the audio files if you want.

2) Optionally, follow the instructions linked at the top to move your contents and library to an external drive for use with other computers, or as a middle-man.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Thats exactly what I did but when attempting to relocate the files on the new computer, the path automatically set to the original itunes media folder from the old computer and it won't find the music files....Is there a tech support number I can contact to possibly talk it through with someone? I'm leaving town in a couple days to play a festival and I really gotta get this sorted :(

Thanks!

Lee Wells 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Sorry - our support is all online.

Can you clarify "the path automatically set to the original itunes media folder from the old computer and it won't find the music files" ??

Try using this mass-relocation process.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Sorry if I'm not using the right terms here but I'll try my best to explain.

Every track in my rekordbox collection on old computer (comp1) was dragged in from Itunes. I never synced with Itunes, just drag & dropped, so my music files are all saved in Itunes media folders.

I backed up my library and hit "yes" to include music files onto my external hd. I followed the correct "move database" procedure and the tracks are all showing on the new computer (comp2) however all the files are still missing, and when I hit relocate, I selected the music backup folder that was created on my external hd during the library backup, but it didn't find the file...I even tried just one song and same result. 

Do you think if I dump my whole Itunes media folder from comp1 onto my external, rekordbox on comp2 will locate those files? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Lee Wells 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink