Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

5フォロワー フォローする

We NEED a better way to relocate lost files

Can we please just have an option to search a folder for any missing files? The current method is so clunky and annoying.

mustgroove

ログインしてコメントを残してください。

10件のコメント

- Right-clicking to manually find individual files is cumbersome and time-consuming

- The "Display All Missing Files" functionality is handy, but is currently broken (crashes when trying to sort by any column - https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115010486666-Major-crash-Display-All-Missing-Files)

- There is no ability to simply specify a given folder and search it for missing files. This is the most crucially needed functionality. Just let us point to a given folder and let the app scan it & find any missing files automatically.

This functionality is especially needed for people who have changed the folder structure of their music library, or have moved things around and just need to relocate things in their new location

mustgroove 2 票
コメントアクション Permalink

It's really not that hard using the current system to search and relocate them. What's the trouble you're having and on which OS?

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Ever since RB 3.0 the relocate feature does not relocate all my files and is not working 100% on my MacBook Pro

I moved my 1 MUSIC folder to another area, all of my subfolders and tracks are all in that 1 folder, I relocate in RB 3,4, or 5 and 90 tracks out of 20,000 are not relocated and I have to then do them 1 by one BUT if I open up RB 2.2.4 (which I still leave on my Mac for this reason) it will relocate ALL 20,000 tracks with no issues in one shit, This started not working properly in 3.0. I reported this in 2015 but the inquiry was never looked at or responded to so I reported again 2 months ago and they said they will pass it up the chain 

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

To me relocate means every track in the folder. If you look at Traktor it can not be made simpler than that. RBX just takes time and the solution is quite stupid. Ive used a lot of programs during my dj career and this takes the numer one spot!

Martin db 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Just let the computer do the work. Don't give the user a prompt to find "01 Artist - Title.mp3", just let us pick a folder for the app to search for any & all missing files, in bulk.

mustgroove 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@mustgroove > All it's asking you to do is select the new location for that file - it doesn't do it automatically because there could be multiple instances of that same file on your drive. It's not a difficult process to find one file manually and then allow it to relocate the files en-masse based on that location.

Or here's an idea ... don't move them!

Seriously, I'm curious as to why you guys need / do move your files so much that this is an issue.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

A simple answer, if i want to move my collection or if something is faulty, as it have been in the past, from RBX 2,3,4 and so fort. A recollection feature WAS needed.

or just start all over. Its simple as that. and some times better then naging on forums.

I was so used to RBX not working 100%  so i got around it and found my own way to have RBX working for me. I lost count how many times I've rather start fresh then having RBX trying to do stuff it can't do anyway.

So imagine my surprise when i all of a sudden can import my old playlist. WOW!

So actually, recollection is MOOT from now on. I just do as i feel and please!

/MDB

Martin db 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@Pulse -

1) I'm not moving files around "so much"... one big folder (with many subfolders) was moved to a new location and I need to relocate those files in my library.

I'm actually trying to do it your way ("find one file manually and then allow it to relocate the files en-masse based on that location") but

a) when you try and relocate files en-masse it prompts you to find a particular file first, then it finds others based on the location of that file. If the particular file it prompts you for is one that you've actually deleted (rather than relocated) you're out of luck.

b) when you try to sort files by location to relocate a particular subset of files you *know* you can find in a new location, a bug I posted about (https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115010486666-Major-crash-Display-All-Missing-Files) makes this impossible because the app crashes when you sort by location.

2) It's not helpful to say "don't move them". Working, touring DJs (like me) have huge music libraries they need to manage, and files move - it's just a reality. USB sticks get lost; computers get lost or their hard drives get full, requiring files to be moved around; Dropbox folders are often used as a method of music delivery, and sometimes these files are deleted or moved by collaborators to new locations, requiring relocation.

3) Is a "search for missing files in this folder" feature that hard to implement? Serato lets you drag & drop a folder to the app and it'll search for lost files in there. 

4) It sucks that you're being flippant and talking down to us with your "here's an idea" comment, like the problem is with us, not the app. How about trying to understand the needs of the people who use your products? Rekordbox has some great player features, but certain users rely on it solely for its library management features - namely touring DJs who use Pioneer products in nightclubs, and who don't own a CDJ or controller of their own. Relocating lost files is a basic file management functionality, and Rekordbox makes this basically impossible (for me, at least) at the moment. That's not a problem with me, it's a problem with the app.

mustgroove 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@mustgroove > I've been working with DJ software for decades, and music management has been a cornerstone of making heads/tails of a collection from the start. I find that those who have problems with their DJ software typically don't have a good fundamental grasp of music and file management, or don't have a plan, and wind up moving things around, thus causing problems for themselves.

When you are moving ONE FOLDER and everything below it, that's the best case scenario, as there's only one change for the software to make; everything else is the same, so that "would you like to find every other missing file based on the location of this one file?" question can be answered with "Yes!" and it will then relocate everything at that new path.

If you know that file it's asking you to find has been deleted - then delete it from your collection before trying to relocate.

A crash based on the order sort is a bug, and our engineers are looking into that, but that doesn't affect the relocation process itself.

Yes; don't move them! If you have a good music management behaviour from the start, you won't need to relocate music because it's either in your collection or deleted. Older software was easier to use if you organized your music a certain way in folders to be able to find it by browsing, but more modern software is so much better that you could literally (and I don't recommend this) have every song sitting loose in one giant folder called "Music" and using features of the software (eg. My Tag, genre, star ratings, etc.) you could locate anything you wanted.

Dropbox is not an excuse for poor file management - pull the file from Dropbox into your own file structure, THEN import it. Don't blame another DJ for deleting it from Dropbox because you thought that file would live there forever! If it's an active collaboration where the file itself will change, you'd need to re-import and re-analyse it anyhow, so I don't understand that argument.

The relocation tool works for the vast majority of cases, and I have helped users recover tens of thousands of missing files due to a whole variety of reasons. There's no need to relocate within a specific folder, but if you wanted to get that granular, sort your collection by location and then batch-relocate.

I'm sorry if I come across as flippant, I'm frustrated with hearing these excuses, complaints, and arguments about something not working when the problem is (in 99% of cases) the user making a mistake.

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink