Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

3フォロワー フォローする

Provide better automatic backup strategy for RB databases

The current "save a backup when RB is run" is ok, but limits to three backups and always cycles these when you run the software. If you have a DB problem and try to fix it by restarting/rebooting/whatever then there's a good bet you'll overwrite older backups before you realise.

It'd be great if RB could still do this but add other automatic backups at other intervals like once a day, once a week. That way if you end up with trashed databases you should have at least a few older ones to go back to.

Mike

Mike Butler

正式なコメント

@Mike > The 3 automatic backups are intended to give you the breathing room to experience a crash or two and still have a fallback copy of the database. As the database itself can grow to be quite large, it wouldn't make sense to keep multiple, out-of-date copies. In my personal opinion, the onus is upon the user to maintain a proper backup of their data. I keep my computer sync'd via Backblaze (which uploads a copy of my data to the cloud whenever it changes), as well as a local Time Machine duplicate. I mirror my external drive (which contains my music and database) on a weekly basis as I take those drives with me to events. Not counting the fact I also dump stuff into Dropbox on a regular basis, that makes 5 copies of my music and database... all because these are the lengths I go to as a working DJ who is paid to have a collection of music to play from. I don't rely on the manufacturer of my software to provide a backup. Not Serato, not Pioneer DJ - it's my responsibility to make sure I can do my job.

Pulse
コメントアクション Permalink

サインインしてコメントを残してください。

3件のコメント

Not sure database size is an issue really - my db is around 300M, which alongside the size of the media at about 850Gb it's really pretty insignificant. I see so many comments on tech forums about people losing data because they backed up an already corrupt database over a working backup and didn't realize until it was too late and that's IT professionals not DJs. Really that was just a suggestion to help people who aren't quite as rigorous making at backups.

Mike Butler 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

One thing I do is use Google drive to back up my Pioneer directory and Music files. Then, by using Google Backup and Sync, every change is saved real-time.

The other day I accidentally deleted a playlist and by using Google Drive's Restore Version functionality, I recovered it in minutes.

Dave T. 1 票
コメントアクション Permalink