Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

4フォロワー フォローする

Most undercooked/overpriced hardware release on recent memory

Been keeping an eye on the Toraiz since pre-release. Hyped when I saw the first pics but was curious how well pioneer would nail this as it's a new area for them. Jeez.. They blew it soooo bad so far!

Missing features available on similar products -

Multiple Pad banks per (what toraiz calls a) scene -
Polyphonic (chords) on sample tracks
Automation record
LFO(s..) per sampletrack
Option to have up to 64 slices
Layering multiple samples on one pad (kicks for example)
Ability to stream a long sample/backing track (one-shot trigs)
Extensive copy/paste functions throughout all areas of os.

There are God knows how many others that I forget right now...

Great functions that other similar products have that Pioneer COULD have added/expanded on -

Option for different lengths/tempo divisions/multipliers per pad/track for polyrhythm stuff.
Octatrack scenes/fader (toraiz can kind of do this with the touch strip but only offers 2 user settings... Come on pioneer, at least 16 please!)
Octatrack sample locks.
Some fun/weird sequencer modes like OP-1. Toraiz screen would be perfect.
X/y pad on touchscreen.
Roland sp404/555 effects. Lots of vibes weird stuff. Amp sims, vinyl sims, etc etc.

Again, there are loads more that I forget right now.

They also need to make the dsi more a feature and less of an after thought. Automatable, envelopes, assignable to tracks, not strictly on master.

Right now it isn't even as interesting to me as the electribe 2. And not even on the same planet as octatrack or mpc1000. Sadly there are no other recent releases in this area tho that have such a modern UI so I'm somehow still keeping an eye on it in the hope that pioneer decide to make something of it and not just their pathetic 'update Road map', which is basically just all the boring standard stuff that it should have shipped with anyway.

Memory/outputs/UI.... These are the only thing the Toraiz has in its favour right now. Where are the CREATIVE functions that make it a worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting to do more than the most basic of sampling/sequencing?

Hopefully pioneer will develop it ASAP and I'll maybe grab one. I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now which will go on a behringer deepmind or deluge groovebox if pioneer don't fix this fumbled box out soon..

Jay greaves

正式なコメント

hello jay thank you for your feedback on the SP-16. I will forward your thoughts and request to our production team. 

thanks

D.j. Creme
コメントアクション Permalink

ログインしてコメントを残してください。

8件のコメント

Thanks. Hopefully the development guys don't waste the potential of this box...

Kind of shady how this post got moved from the Toraiz thread and buried where current owners and prospective toraiz owners are very unlikely to see it/join the discussion? Maybe it should go back in the Toraiz thread?

Thanks

Jay greaves 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Wow! I thought I was demanding with my recent post : - ))

But you seem to nail a lot of very cool features that I didn't even think of. Although I'm not an expert in samplers (The TORAIZ is my first), to me it seems that implementing everything you mention would require a re-desing of the hardware as well. With more buttons and different arrangement of those buttons. At least live performance would be a mess if all that functionality was implemented somehow with SHIFT or even more complex combination of button presses. For example 16 user choices on the touch strip? How? Two of them would light up "User 1" and "User 2" and the other 14 wouldn't?

How do other samplers get all this functionality done? Is all that you mention easy to reach in a live improvisational setting?

Zig-Zag 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Yeah at present it really doesn't 'do much'...

16 user choices presets for touchstrip would be pretty easy to implement in terms of UI. For quick performance UI you could maybe press' 'hold' which made the 16 pads all turn the same colour for as long as you have 'hold' pressed. During that time when you hit a pad it selects one of 16 user presets. And obviously for less 'snappy' options they could just add a page in the OS on the touchscreen and maybe an option for that page to open automatically when you press the 'hold' button. I don't have the Toraiz and got bored of watching the current videos so it's hard to suggest the best way to add things. But I'm sure if any of the development team have any experience with an octatrack and MPC (which they really should do if being given the job of making this kind of unit....) then they should be able to figure some practical ways to add a lot more depth to things... Fingers crossed!

Jay greaves 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Edit - in my suggestion for 16 touchstrip user presets above I said hold down the 'hold' button. I meant the 'mode' button. Not sure what would work best tho without owning/using a toraiz and getting a firm grip on how things currently work. There are tons of potential button/pad/combo options possible for quick performance depth tho. And there's always going to be the touchscreen there which they can add as many pages/functions to as they like...

Jay greaves 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

As we are living in the Pioneer world, I guess in about 1 year from now, we can expect Toraiz NXS or Toraiz SP-32, having the same hardware and addressing most of the software issues........

I have been looking to get the Toraiz since I saw the first announcement - I looked to be a great sampler with pro link integration so no brainer for me - but Pioneer, you teached me - as I see how many features are missing there, I will not spend my money on that in hope you will add some of these features to the current generation of Toraiz (I did the same mistake in buying CDJ and XDJ where the new generation followed immediately, bringing only SW changes).

Big NO for me then....(at least for now)

Marek 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@marek I've never used pioneer gear before but the Toraiz is potentially interesting for my setup. Thanks for the heads up re previous pioneer 'upgrade' moves. Yeah I think they're going to need to add the entire 'update Road map' + a TON of other features before I'd feel it was a good purchase. Especially at this price. Worrying how you say that in the past they have done this thing where they used the same hardware but improved the software and then sold it as a new thing. Not cool... They need to increase the OS depth ten fold on toraiz for a lot of people to take this unit seriously in this area at this price. A few people will pony up for it just because they have a ton of money and are looking for something 'simple', but it's definitely not cutting it for me right now. Hopefully pioneer fix it up.. Would be a shame if they didn't.

Jay greaves 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@Jay

I am simply afraid but anyone should make his own opinion... (read some forum posts about the upgrade/feature requests on the devices, compare the devices and their release dates and update history...)

My "NO" is based on when the mods responded to a questions about adding some new features to the XDJ's with something like "the os updates are mostly bugfixes, not to add any new features to the current products" (this is not the exact quote but only interpretation - the meaning is more or less the same) so yeah, I am not expecting anything to be added any longer.

I was told many times that they add some features very rarely and that I am buying a product with some set of features and can't demand/expect it to do something else/more than originally announced, so I am cautious in considering any other pioneer device.  

Toraiz "might" be a different story but......

Marek 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink