Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

2フォロワー フォローする

Rekordbox recording has spikes during transition

I've recently moved from using a WeGO4 with Djay for iPad, to a DDJ-1000 and Rekordbox.  I have to be honest I'm not sure this was a wise decision

I have a few issues including a noisy headphone output (albeit when playing music at a sensible volume I can't hear it) and the cross fader doesn't align with the software.

But my biggest issue which is potentially a user error so hoping someone can help.

When I transitioned I tried doing the exact same mix on the DDJ-1000 that I'd just done on the WeGO4 for familiarisation.  I noticed when I imported the files though that the Rekordbox recording was much quieter.

On investigation I found that during transitions the Rekordbox recording had much higher peaks than the recording from Djay which when normalised/optimised reduced the volume of the overall mix.  Transitions were done swapping low EQ in both recordings.

I've uploaded an image of the waveforms here https://imgur.com/V8Oxc7g.  The first was recorded on Djay and the second on Rekordbox, you can see a big difference in overall volume and larger spikes at each transition.

The third set of waveforms was also recorded in Rekordbox, but I also used high and mid EQ to try to smooth it out which to be fair did work quite well.

My issues:

1. Why is there such a difference between the first two mixes, mixed identically but Rekordbox seems to have a much bigger issue with two tracks running side by side with the low EQ taken out of 1 track?

2. Throughout the mix, taking care of my levels neither channel ever goes above 0dB and the main output stays at 0dB also, but whilst recording the recording meter in Rekordbox jumps a bit during transition

I'm happy and hoping to expand skills for better transition, but I would like to know

1. Why Rekordbox is recording much bigger peaks when using a low EQ swap to transition and are there any settings that would help?  As mentioned channel EQs and master are set to peak at first orange light marked 0dB (10 o'clock on channel trim, 2-3 o'clock on master.  I have auto gain on, optimise audio in recording set to on, headroom set to -9dB.  Would changing the mixer type help?

2. Why Rekordbox software shows higher peaks on the recording meter than is being shown on the controller hardware.  I don't really trust the LEDs on the hardware (this seems to be a theme with things like the cross fader not really matching the software either)

Any help in at least understanding so I can properly work around it is appreciated.  Even using full EQ mixing (third mix in screenshot) there are some jumps around transition that were not seen at all in the channel or master output LEDs which never strayed beyond orange

Chris Sanderson 回答済み

正式なコメント

The problem is you're summing waveforms; try lowering the EQ or volume on one or both of the channels as you mix.

Pulse
コメントアクション Permalink

ログインしてコメントを残してください。

4件のコメント

Just as a test I tried the different mixer types on a short mix.  The waveforms generated were slightly different with different peaks through the transition but overall volume was identical so that hasn't specifically helped

Chris Sanderson 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Pulse thanks for reply, I kind of worked that bit out so far

My questions in summary are:

1. What is Rekordbox doing differently from DJay? On each transition the low we is completely taken out. Either Djay is doing a better job of hand holding and auto gain (quite possibly since I guess it’s aimed as a beginner to tool) or something isn’t quite right in set up to see a huge jump.

2. I set my gains/trim on channel and the master output. During the mix, the master output led’s never went above 0db. But clearly they did as evident in the waveform. It means the master out leds at least are not really accurate at all and don’t represent what is in the software. It’s making the ddj-1000 look like a toy not a serious tool

Chris Sanderson 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I never use auto-gain as I've never found it to be reliable in any application. Quiet songs are still too quiet, loud ones aren't lowered enough.

It could well be that you're using the crossfader and there is a different curve between them, lowering the overall levels during the mix.

As for the recording vs. the hardware, there is overhead within the software for recording (and you can adjust this internally) - the hardware is also the "output" so it's a more accurate representation of the true signal level (the voltage).

Pulse 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink