Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Rekordbox 1.5.2 Consistently Crashing on Startup

0) Have you read the "READ ME FIRST" thread in its entirety before posting:Yes, I swear it!

1) Operating System: OSX 10.6.8 

2) OS Type: 64bit 32bit?? but I know I'm on a new iMac 12,2 Intel core i5 3.1 GHz

3) Rekordbox version: 1.5.2

4) Using LINK: No

4a) LINK Connection method: I export to a Flash Drive

4b) Using with CDJs: Yes, but not with my computer, only my Flash drive

5) Hard drive / Flash drive / SD card file system: Only when exporting playlists I use a brand new Sony Flashdrive 64gig class B to use on CDJ2000's

5a) Does the device have multiple partitions: Unsure

5b) If it's a flash drive, is it a U3 device: Unsure but I do know it is a MS-DOS (FAT32)

5c) With what utility did you format the device: OSX

6) Have you scanned your files for errors: No

7) Have you scanned your drive for errors: No

8) Is Rekordbox crashing at all: Yes

8a) If crashing, is it resulting in: an error message both

8b) If not crashing, are there any error messages

9) Are you able to repeat / reproduce the problem: Yes

9a) If yes, can you do it consistently: Yes

10) Any other notes regarding your setup only:

Provide as much detail of the issue here: I only use AIFF files bought from Beatport. I have been using Rekordbox 1.5.1 for the last few months with no problems. As soon as I installed the upgrade 1.5.2 the system crashed the first time I tried to import a new AIFF file. Since then I have uninstalled Rekordbox entirely from my computer (including all songs, files, data etc) and reinstalled 1.5.2. The program installed fine, asked me to input serial number which worked fine and the program was ready for it's first file import. As soon as i imported a batch of 22 AIFF files and it got through analysing 6 of the tracks when the program crashed. Now every time I open the program it does the same thing (Rekordbox quit unexpectedly) and crashes. At the moment It seems to be stuck on one AIFF track, but It wasn't always this track that crashed the program before. I have been asked by a colleague if my files are DRM protected but I'm not sure how to check. So at this stage I am very frustrated and don't know what to do now...

I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS and eagerly await your response.

Cheers

Tom

Tom Campbell

Please sign in to leave a comment.

31 comments

Tom I'm getting exactly the same with Lion on my Mac. Only started happening since the update.

Richie Barthez 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Richie, Lets wait and see what the guys at Pioneer on this Forum say. They seem to be very good at fixing problems like these BUT get ready to have all of your information ready like I have above. They cannot do anything until you have read and tried all of the fixes provided in the forums before you get to this point. Good luck.

Tom Campbell 0 votes

Hey,

Getting same on Win 7 ultimate 32bit.  Be interested to see the response.

Alex McDonald 0 votes

HELLO???? Some support help would be greatly appreciated...

Tom Campbell 0 votes

Ok, whilst we wait I did some testing. Did the "use the backup database"

method and this worked initially but of course the track analysis total was some 3000 tracks less than when the crash happened.

I let it run and of course it crashed at exactly the same point again.

I managed to start it and quickly found (before the crash) the track it was analysing and then crashing.

I removed this track from the database and the crash no longer happened.

I have no idea what the difference was with this particular track, looked the same as the other 17000.

Why though is there no error recovery here to ignore tracks which cause crashes?

The app would crash each time until I removed the track. If the analysis causes a crash, the track should be flagged and ignored in the next run.

To be fair here, I've had more crashes and issues in 4 days than I’ve had in total with Traktor.

Very nervous on using this software as a direct link to the cdj's, still a lot of work to be done here I think.

Alex McDonald 0 votes

@Alex... Yep did exactly the same for me when I used the backup database method as well. It seems to be certain AIFF files that the new update doesn't like. I'm pretty sure if I scanned my tracks for errors some issues might become apparent but don't know the best way to do this or what is the best program to use. The guys here might let me know :)

In the meantime I have converted all of my tracks to MP3's and imported them to Rekordbox 1.5.2 without any drama's what so ever.

Tom Campbell 0 votes

thats interesting too that you narrowed this down to ASIFF files because in 1.5.2, If you import the AIFF without using the "bridge", The files show up as VBR instead of a CBR files and we all know VBR are troublesome

BriChi 0 votes

ok, so it crashed on a few more files but strangely this time, moved past them and continued to analyse. What the development team need to understand here is that a crash is absolutely unacceptable in a piece of software which is to be used during a performance.

As soon as you lose faith in the reliability of the software, it is very difficult to get it back. You should be able to feed this program ANY file of ANY nature and not experience a crash.

Alex.

Alex McDonald 0 votes

aaaaand it has crashed three more times whilst analysing the remainder of my tracks. Support...SUPPORT, would you like to see the error logs or something? ...anything?..

Alex McDonald 0 votes

@Tom, as usual its up to the customers to work around the issue, what program did you use to convert your tracks to MP3's? Does it have a batch function?

I'm not the biggest fan of this but if it gets me going!

Alex McDonald 0 votes

@All > It seems you may be encountering issues with DRM protected or inconsistent files. To check the quality of your files we recommend you scan and repair them with mp3val (available at sourceforge).

We recommend you import in smaller batches to avoid the issue of having to start analyzing the same tracks all over again. We are also expecting an upgrade to rekordbox which will point out which tracks are causing issues to facilitate weeding out problematic tracks.

Gavin 0 votes

@Gavin, NO the files are not DRM protected as every track was purchased from Beatport which is DRM free. I will scan files with mp3val (and report back to you) but not sure why this will matter as the files are working fine now as MP3's after I converted them from AIFF to MP3 - Therefore Files could not corrupted to start with.

Smaller batched doesn't work. I have tried to import in batches of 5. Is this small enough for you to rule out?

@Alex I used iTunes to covert to MP3's. Just make sure you turn off 'Copy files to iTunes media folder' in Advanced Preferences. if you don't want to waste hard drive space

@BriChi Interesting, I did not use the bridging method to import AIFF files, I dragged & dropped into playlists.

Tom Campbell 0 votes

@Tom / @Alex > Can I get some of the files that you have identified as causing problems, to test on this end?

Gavin 0 votes

@Gavin. The files are AIFF and are around 82MB, so how do i send it to you?.... 

Tom Campbell 0 votes

I am having the exact same issue except with Windows 7 64-bit.  1.5.1 worked fine.  Updated and installed 1.5.2, and it worked fine.  Started importing all the rest of my songs into rekordbox, and all tracks analysized fine.  Restarted computer, and 1.5.2 does not load at all.  As soon as the logo comes up, I get the error notice that rekordbox has stopped working.  Reinstall does not correct the issue.  Installed 1.4, and it does not work.  Everything the original complaint said is the exact case I have occuring.

Tim Sorel 0 votes

Ok, update on my problem.  I ran the mp3val program on my all my files, and it appears that ALL of them had problems for some reason.  This includes ALL my Beatport Tracks.  After the run of the above program, 1.5.2 started up and seems to be working just fine.  I would check your files out regardless of where you got them as it seemed to be the fix to my issue.  Good luck!

Tim Sorel 0 votes

@GAVIN > I am using AIFF files NOT mp3.... can you please let me know what program I can use to scan my AIFF files for errors...

Tom Campbell 0 votes

@Tom > Please try removing the artwork from the offending AIFF file and see if you can import just that one file to Rekordbox.

Pulse 0 votes

@Gavin I have put two offending AIFF files into the dropbox...

@Pulse After deleting the artwork from both files I CAN import them and Rekordbox does NOT crash

Tom Campbell 0 votes

@Gavin @Pulse> Also for you guys to know...I just imported 22 new AIFF files bought from Beatport and all imported and analysed fine... so it seems that it is certain AIFF (artwork) files that are crashing Rekordbox in this new update.

Hopefully the tech guys don't say '...in the meantime please remove all artwork from AIFF files before importing.....' as this will defeat the whole purpose of PioneerDJ providing and advertising that they have a fully functioning & professional DJ music file management platform....

Tom Campbell 0 votes

@Tom > When we find problems like this, we pass them along to the engineers for inspection and correction.  For the time being, you get me telling you -- not to remove the artwork -- but rather to remove and re-add it.  Sometimes that's all it takes to correct the issue, other times it may simply be that the artwork is too large or malformed.  Beatport has been notorious for problems with embedded artwork, even with MP3s, I'm not sure why.

Pulse 0 votes

I am revisiting this thread because it has started again.  rekordBox 1.5.2 is crashing on start up once again.  All files have been analyzied and was working well for since the last post I made on here.  No new tracks have been imported since the fix action above was done and brought 1.5.2 back to normal operation.  Things that have changed since the last crashing on start-up issue?  I have only restarted the computer.  That is it.  So, would you Pioneer Software gurus please explain this one?  Oh, and is there a way I can get a copy of 1.5.1 because this is highly annoying to do a reinstall each time this happens and it still results in a failed start-up.  Thank you!

Tim Sorel 0 votes

Ive been away for a while using this stuff and I can't say how utterly dissapointed I am in Pioneer for releasing this crap!

Firstly being overseas and having to employ "tricks" to get rekordbollocks to start, then just last night I started getting the e-8302 error, ON THE SAME KIT!, no added songs, nothing. This happened twice during my set and right royally f*** things up!

I'll start a new thread on the 8302 error but seriously, how can this not have been seen during the user testing phase of the product? So over it!

(apologies for being annoyed but I gave up years of trouble free Traktor operation for this ??? sigh....)

Alex McDonald 0 votes

Very interesting thread. SInce the upgrade I have had it crash EVERYTIME I link to the DJM2000 and CDJ2000s. I thought it was on my end. I am trying now to uninstall and start over. I have issues with it even linking now. Strange. 

Trent John 0 votes

@Trent > If you are having an issue with rekordbox, please start your own thread; see the last reply to @Alex (3 above) to link to the thread that has the information as @Tom posted initially.

Pulse 0 votes

At least you can get the program to analyse some files, I used to use my out of date crap company laptop to DJ and have had no problems with using Serato ever, I made the move to CDJs and then upgraded my computer to a brand new IMAC so thought why not switch to Rekordbox, that was almost 10 months ago and I have never been able to use Rekordbox. The very first time I loaded the program it did work for about a week. Then the crashes happened, and happended some more, I have uninstalled and re-installed the prgram about 60 times, originally was using 1.5.1, waited so patiently for the upgrade to install 1.5.2, installed upgrade and think I could import about 3 tracks before it crashes, now it just crashes and comes up the the Rekordbox has unexpectedly quit error message everytime. The Imac is using Lion, as already mentioned exactly the same tracks used through Serato work perfectly. I want to use Rekordbox so I can Quantize and use all my equipment to the max, but this is just getting stupid.

I installed Rekordbox onto my crap laptop and guess what it works fine, in fact I dragged all my DJ tracks over a 1000 in one go and it happily analyized them all without a hitch, so at least now I can set up a gig stick for a set. But ultimately would love to have my music next to my decks and on my Imac. Have started my own thread previously and tried everything from deleteing the database file etc, but all that does is wipe your info everytime.

Pioneer please help us, it seems I am not the only one that is getting frustrated, I have even emailed you directly through this site and have had no reponse.

Gill Somers 0 votes