Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

17 followers Follow

Rekordbox USB Transfer Speed

Guys, 

I can't take it anymore.

I have a 16gb Transcend USB 2.0 which is brilliant, 2 seconds per track to transfer to USB.

I now have a 32gb Transcend, again 2.0 and the SAME write (16mb per sec) & read speeds

HOWEVER....the 32gb takes approx (I've timed it)....FIFTEEN seconds per track transfer.

I've tried both 1.4 and 1.5 versions, tried swappin USB's, loads of stuff. 

What is the crack? Is there anything I can do?

Deccy

Please sign in to leave a comment.

118 comments

There are a couple of things at play -- one is large data, one is small data. Large data files take time to transfer because of their size and a limitation of the bandwidth to write; this is why USB3 transfers faster than USB2. With small files, you are writing the in/out and the tiny amount of data - it's fast, but the operating system / file system limitations make this a slow process. This is why writing 10 small files can taking up a tiny amount of space can possibly take longer than 1 large file occupying more than those 10 files.

Want to know the true speed of your device? Try using a speedtest which is capable of writing both large and small files and test the read/write speeds of both filesizes. Not all devices are created equal - a USB3 chipset could be junk and perform slower than a USB2 device!

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

i thing this is the final answer for now.

i think Pioneer will minimize the large amount of files ass less as possible. this has to be a priority in the next updates. but i understand that's not as easy as i told yet. it will take a long time to improve this point. because it doesn't give a crash it hasn't the priority we want to have.

Mark van der Lely 0 votes

The file transfer is already minimized by not re-transferring songs already in your collection, or by transferring a song multiple times based on its inclusion on a playlist.

Pulse 0 votes

Are Pioneer deliberately trying to avoid this huge problem with the latest update of 4.0.6?

I have 2 identical 64GB USB3.0 Sandisk Extreme. Both have worked perfectly with all other Rekordbox versions since I bought my XDj-1000 in May 2015.

I've grown so accustomed to Pioneers reliability, I didn't think twice about updating just before a gig last night.

The transfer speed from Rekordbox to USB is very slow (30 mins for 50GB) in the past the time was a couple of minutes.

I even re-analysed the tracks that Rekordbox said it had problems with.

After the transfer and at the venue 50% of my tracks had not even been transferred to the USB sticks.

I don't care what problems Pioneer think users have with their USB sticks. The fault lies squarely in the new Update. Nothing has changed in my setup except the update to 4.0.6 and all has turned to shit.

This is a big balls up on Pioneer's side and the quicker you sort this problem out the quicker we can all get back to paying hefty sums for your products again.

Anthony Woodruffe 0 votes

Nope conclusion:

New update is fucking balls... I've done nothing but tried to export newly analysed tracks to my USB key and each time I get an error. I've reformatted the the key and I still get errors...

Can't Pioneer actually fucking test their shit before they fucking release it...

Yeah I know 1st world problems. huh...

Anthony did you try to "add new analysis data" to all of your tracks and then do some export?

Anastasio 0 votes

You are joking right.

I reanalysed every single track in my collection. spend 2 hours doing that..

I know you are upset, just trying to help you. So if you right click on a track, that option i told before is not highlighted right?

I've done this and had no problems with exporting, that's why i ask. Are you on win or mac?

Anastasio 0 votes

All analysed

Running OSX 10.11.3

I had no problems exporting with the previous vers. of Rekordbox 

So it might be the new rekordbox in combination with that version mac os. Maybe a quick fix update is needed to solve this... Is there any windows user having that issue?

Anastasio 0 votes

it can't be the OSX version because everything was working fine until the new Rekordbox update.

Yes i know, it must be the recordbox version for mac then, because i had no issues in win.

Anastasio 0 votes

Once you get new data or reanalyze which clearly you have done, Rekordbox is going to re-export all the new data so yes, the first export of 4.0.6 will take a long time as did mine , now that all the new data is analyzed and exported, my export speeds are back to normal for the few files i add or change

I'm on El cap and 4.0.6

BriChi 0 votes

Except I cannot export... I get an export error every time.

i used to too, Once i changed the usb settinggs to show RGB waves and Full waveform, it exported fine, give that a shot 

BriChi 0 votes

I had these both checked and had an export failed.

I've just turned then to Blue with Half waveform and export has failed again.

which fail message do you get? this is what I was getting

BriChi 0 votes

ugh that sucks, i hope they can isolate this soon

have you tried just formatting the external and exporting fresh? that way everything is a fresh start on the drive and not just updated

doesn't fix the issue but at least gets you u and running

BriChi 0 votes

yep, I had to reformat the USB key because Rekordbox just kept adding the tracks on each export without over-writing or deleting, until finally there was no room left. Format was the safest solution.

they should repost 4.0.5 so people can go back. There are quit a few complaints about this, not just you

BriChi 0 votes

The export speed is really a one-time issue, after the first long export it is as quick as before.

Pulse 0 votes

It's not exactly a one-time issue @Pulse... it occurs that even analysing 30 tracks is taking HOURS to sync the same playlists again.  I was using USB 2.0 for that.  1800 tracks on my stick.  A "complete" sync is taking a whole night.  So I replaced it with an USB 3.0 stick Sandisk Extreme ---> my *ENTIRE* library is syncing in max 10 minutes or so.... this was a MAJOR improvement!!!  Everybody should use 3.0...

Christophe Platteeuw 1 vote

The sooner Pioneer stops this "it's not us it's you" BS the better.

I've spent literally hours exporting my play lists over the last days, received multiple errors, and that's even resorting to exporting batches of 4 playlists at a time. I'm still just over half way through the 7000 tracks that normally only takes a few minutes to transfer using my USB 3.0 sticks.

@Anthony > In my USB drive testing, I've found that write speeds can vary as much as 100x between a low-end drive and a high-end drive, both of which claim "fast USB3 transfer speeds."

Errors in the transfer are obviously something we would like to know about and help diagnose, but the write speeds are out of our hands; that's an operating system function and the transfer speed depends entirely on the USB device itself.

If you'd like to file a rekordbox support inquiry with your transfer error logs, that would help our rekordbox team in figuring out where the fault lies.

Pulse 0 votes

It is a problem with the FAT32 filesystem and transferring thousands of analysis files.  If Pioneer packages the analysis files as a single database file, it would transfer super fast.

Try this experiment for yourself:

1. Take a 1GB file and transfer it to a FAT32 formatted USB key. Time it.

2. Take 1000 1MB files and transfer them to the same FAT32 formatted USB key. Time it.

The difference in time is an order of magnitude.

pfaffian 0 votes

@pfaffian > Of course it is - drives handle large, continuous data stream much faster than small sequential writes.

Pulse 0 votes

Great!! I'm glad you agree with me!  Now fix your software to bundle the analysis files into a single file so you can get rid of this terrible problem! Thank you!

pfaffian 0 votes

Well it's not that easy to do this. What about adding extra tracks to your library? It has to make every time a new single file? And every time it has to be exported? Also what about the cdjs? They are build that existing way. Is it easy to re-programm them so they can read the new single file? Is it even possible that way? Do they need just a new firmware or is it much more complicated?

Anastasio 0 votes