Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

DJM900NXS2 Soundcard Routing Problem

So I recently bought an NXS2 setup (both the CDJ2000NXS2s and the DJM900NXS2). One of the things that brought me to the NXS2 (to replace my Xone:4D mixer) is that the DJM900 mixer has historically been, out of the box, a great soundcard companion as well as a mixer.

This doesn't appear the case with the NXS2 variant. I don't know if it's just because it's too new or because Pioneer is trying to pull something with regards to forcing their software on users.  I came from Traktor and to be honest, I really like the effects in Traktor as well as the ability to have a "live deck" where I can route audio right through traktor and utilize the effects without having to have traktor hijack my CDJs and turn them into controllers in order to get audio out.

I'm not sure how useful this mixer is to me without being able to use it like a soundcard like all the other mixers I've had since 2010 (and I've had several). Thing is, as of right now, Rekordbox DJ doesn't even allow you to use the inputs from the mixer (inputs meaning the ability to pass the signal of an item hooked to one of the mixer's inputs through the soundcard and into the software drivers so that applications can pull the audio in). I can't imagine it would be expected behavior to provide such a powerful set of hardware and have the drivers be the weak point.

I see all the other drivers are open source. I'm able to write/read C++/ObjectiveC and I wouldn't mind checking through the latest drivers to see if I can't figure out why the soundcard inputs only seem to work when rekordbox is loaded. I'm assuming there's some sort of information exchange that becomes available when rekordbox is started which is picked up by the driver to allow the stream of audio to flow (or perhaps audio is being ignored when the rekordbox isn't open?) It definitely appears the driver's engine is starting without rekordbox being loaded because I am able to output audio through the driver from third psrty applications and out through the mixer's USB outputs with no problem. 

Corey Nolet

Please sign in to leave a comment.

41 comments

yes but its not working it connect a mixer automaticaly when i press this button nothing is changed

Rumen Hristov 0 votes

What do you mean "nothing is changed" ... what are you using it with and what are you expecting to happen?

Pulse 0 votes

its working it is in midi configuration in rekordbox and changing the asio driver

Rumen Hristov 0 votes

yes thanks why these asio drivers in pioneer cdj 2000 nxs2 and djm 900 nxs2 working only in 32 bit software applications not in 64 bit?

Rumen Hristov 0 votes

Because the drivers are 32bit; 64bit applications require 64bit drivers, which will be available soon.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi

I was just wondering whether this update ever happened?

I've just bought the NXS2 and I'm struggling to get it set up properly, below is a description of my setup and how I would like to use the mixer:

MacBook Pro connected via USB

Ableton Live - 4 x Stereo Pairs routed to each Channel on the NXS2

XDJ-1000 x 2 connected via Line-in on two NXS2 Channels

Now the above all works fine using the standard Settings Utility, however where it gets tricky is with using the NXS2 Soundcard inputs:

I run some outboard gear in my DJ set up - a Moog Sub 37 and a 303 and I need to run these through Ableton (for fx / compression etc) before I go into the mixer. So normally I would use my Soundcard Input to bring those in to Ableton however when using the NXS2 as my Soundcard it won't allow me to select any of the inputs (all greyed out in Settings).

I signed up for the Trial of rekordbox DJ to see if that would give me access to the Soundcard inputs and it worked and I was able to configure my setup exactly how I needed!! However the problem is it only works if I'm running both rekordbox DJ and Ableton concurrently (which seemed to causes some stability issues) and of course I would have to pay for a licence, which I'd rather not do seeing as though the mixer wasn't exactly cheap!

So my question is, how can I gain software access to the Pioneer NXS2 Inputs without having to use rekordbox DJ?

I'm currently using the Control Tone Line in to bring the external synths into Ableton.

Many thanks!!!

David Fletcher 0 votes

1. Open your Rekordbox DJ and if you want to use it you need to buy a license key but it must have DVS function also.

2. When the Djm900Nxs2 Mixer is Recognized by the Rekordbox software go to settings menu then audio setup configuration and change the Asio driver to another soundcard very important. you must do this every time when you open this two software apps.

3 Now open your selected Software like Cubase Ableton Nuendo etc... then select your Asio Driver of the DJM900NXS2 Mixer in Audio Configuration Routing Setup

Rumen Hristov 0 votes

Remember That Your Selected Software Like Cubase or Ableton must be 32bit x86 and use Rekordbox Standart 32bit x86 also.

Remember That you have two opened apps in desktop so the same soundcard Asio Drivers does not function properly.

If in ableton you have selected DJM900NXS2 Soundcard Asio in Rekordbox you mut select another Different soundcard.

Then I think it will work great my selection for example is I use Steinberg Nuendo internal mixer and I put 4x4 chanel buses stereo pairs 4in 4 out directly to the DJM900NXS2 then ... I connect two CD players Djm 2000 NXS2 to Chanel 2 and 3 and Chanel 4 I use for the Synthesizer Roland. All is Digital in Asio Setting I Selected Control Tone to DIGITAL for the Input Menu. In the Mixer All Input Knobs is selected to USB A So the Sound Of the Players And Synthesizer goes Par Le Software Mixer in Nuendo Then Finaly the Sound Goes to the internal equalizer of the every chanel in DJM900NXS2 I Think That This Sound Is Great Powerful and the best Quality because of Two Mixers Software and Hardware Virtual and Real I can put every vst plugin in that software.

Rumen Hristov 0 votes

Hi Ruman

Many thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it!!

Unfortunately your instructions didn't get me any further than I had already got.

I can get it all working perfectly but only when the Rekordbox software is running and in Performance mode. Now this wouldn't be a massive problem but the Trial of the software runs out in 2 days and I really didn't want to have to pay another £136 on top of what I've already spent!

Can I just confirm, are you using your set up with a licence key (for rekordbox) or have you managed to get it working without having to pay for a licence key?

Again, many thanks for your help! I'm still waiting for Pioneer to get back to me!

David

David Fletcher 0 votes