Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

DDJ-RZX review and feedback for Pioneer

I finally got my RZX!

I am in love with it, except for a few points....   here are my final thoughts about it:

First, it is HUUUGE. Pictures and videos show a big thing, but when you see it in front of your face for the first time you say...  oh man, this is huuuge.

All 3 screen quality are very good. The mixer screen waveforms are a little bit laggy. I must say I expected them to be fine in a 3k controller but it is something Pioneer would be able to fix with an update.

It is very resource hungry.  I do use it with a macbook air, i7, 2.2, 8gb and the fans kick right after you plug it up.

It is laggy when you press certain buttons fast... ie: you press PAD FX to change the pad behaviour and it takes a couple of seconds until it finally changes and you can use it.  While it is changing, if you press AUTO LOOP, the loop wont start until the pads change....   

That is something I would like to see fixed in a future firmware/software update.

Good point is, altought the UI freezed a couple of seconds while that happens, the audio in the background keep playing beautifully, no cracks/pops/dropouts of any kind.
Pioneer did a good job in buffering the user actions and keeping it separate from the audio. that way, the audio keep running smooth on the background.

One really bad point on this controller are the platters.
They are cheap.  They look nice, but when you touch them and move them you feel it is cheap plastic.  they even not spin well, I mean, the SZ platter were heavier and well "centered" the ones on the RZX feels like not properly centered.

That is the worst point about this controller.  If you own a SX/SZ/RX/RZ, you know the quality of your platters, and you laugh on cheaper controllers because of their cheap plastic platters...   well, the RZX is in the cheap plastic platters controllers group.

Audio quality is excellent.  Haven't tried mic input yet, but should be awesome too!

That's what I think.  I love the controller and I am happy with it.

I expect it to improve with some updates in the future.

Thank you, and I hope someone from pioneer reads this.

Diego Sucaria

Please sign in to leave a comment.

9 comments

Funny thing is the jogs on the RZ are much better than the RZX.  I outlined my experiences here https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/210652846-DDJ-RZX-Jogwheel-feels-cheap-like-the-XDJ-1000-and-other-gripes but you are absolutely correct.  The jogs feel like plastic cheapness.

I also had major lag in between switching buttons - I found that my laptop wasn't up to speed (older 2012 i7).  Switched to a mac mini and the lag has been reduced to about 500ms (half a second) and the controller responds quite nicely except for the occasional combo FX lag when dragging your finger quickly.

Also why no click on 0, pioneer.  This is basic stuff.

Kompiler 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I thought I would hate it not having it, but after a week I found it wasn't that much important

Diego Sucaria 0 votes

Guys, I am getting closer to the problem.

So far :

- Windows 7 latest SP, Pioneer driver 1.00 is not working.

- Windows 8.1 Pioneer Driver 1.00 works but USB 2.0 gives lots of lag, effects don't work, poor sound, unusable system

- Windows 10 Pioneer Driver 1.00 works but USB 2.0 gives lots of lag, effects don't work, poor sound, unusable system

- Processor-wise forget about anything below I7 with Turbo Boost and at least 8GB of RAM

- Next step is to find a PC with USB 3.0 to up the bandwidth between RBDJ and hardware.

- So I am getting closer to the conclusion that Pioneer have engineered this controller in a test bench running only USB 3.0 or better. It's a bad thing to do if you guarantee functionality back to Windows 7 when USB 3 was virtually non existent.

- I checked both Mac mini of 2016 and Macbook 2016 all have USB 3.0

I will update once I'm done with my lengthy investigation.

When I'm done I am worth a few CDJ2000's as a bonus for this load of work :) Are you listening Pioneer ?

ragdoll 0 votes

Hello!! I hold that shit is DDJ RZX

Do you have this problem, while using the RZX & Rekordbox

one evening or I mix Rekorbox itself off is the second time he made me crap. I sold my 2000 Nexus 2 to buy this bullshit RZX

A charge of a train as its not possible as yet I use Mac Book Pro 2.5 GKZ ram 16G the latest version os an expensive product is the SHIT
I would like him to care for an update if its going to go

Anin 0 votes

I am running ok on Sony Vaio Due Core i7 8 GB USB 3.0 and Rekordbox is always aroung 50% of CPU that is fine for me and I am able to run without many problems.

The Wavefor lag in the central screen is really very bad, I expected much more from a controller for this price level and I am looking forwarrd for an Firmware Update that can improve that.

Let's see :)

sbherculano 0 votes

$3000 and  Cant actually USE this during a performance. Running a Macbook Pro i7 16gb 2 ssd drives.  Hitting he cue points they lag BIGTIME. Video is ok but , id Rather have serato at least id know how to make it accurate instead of guessing what the problem is. With a controller this big for this much money. id think i was getting the best, but its not the best.  i was excellent with the SZ. Now after spending $3k id rather get the SZ back and let pioneer worry about all the unhappy customers. imma give it a week and if Pioneer can't walk me thru how to get this to play like the SZ. then ill send it back. no need to waste $3000 for looks when it takes 500ms for it to respond to a cue press. Makes the DJ LOOK REAL BAD. 

Harrison Bryant 0 votes

almost 2 months from my last post and nothing happened so far.

Very bad this situation really, I am not considering return it but since the DDJ-RZX only works with RB it means Pioneer really need to have this controller working very well because we do not have other options of SW so this is the minimum we expect.

Let's try to be a little more patient !! :(

sbherculano 0 votes

I've also noticed the lag when pressing cue. Funny, the cue pads have a quicker response than the actual cue button. I was able to decrease the lag by turning quantize off, but I shouldnt have to do that

EnkOde 0 votes