Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

Pio DJ - Need Response on Sample Memory Issue

Guys

can you please respond with a proper information on the sample memory issue. My issue is that i am unable to load beyond 6 scenes , each scene with 16 different samples. Now i am able to load 12 scenes, 6 of them having the same 16 samples but with different triggers and FX settings.

I am just beginning to wonder whether with the new EFX and requests for additional EFX , the system RAM is capable of loading 16 scenes each scene with 16 different samples with different FX and routings. 

I also doubt if you will ever be able to release the 32 sec sample limit with such RAM limitations. ( This being one main feature request)

Again it is important in the context of user transparency that you release some information about RAM utilization/allocation, workarounds and  system optimization tips. Otheerwise It appears the product currently is not capable of what it is supposed to do. Or you need to specify the 16 Scene , tracks and FX limitations.

TCO TCO (Cosmic Order)

Please sign in to leave a comment.

39 comments

You can record samples but have to save then load in order to play loop,not like hit a button and your looping,live loop is coming supposedly 2017

Jova 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Usability is implied unless limitations are clearly stated : 1. Sample size 2. Sample length 3. No of samples etc

Nowhere does it state what will cause RAM over runs , the most optimal set up etc. even the fix in FAQ is vague - clear unused scenes. As of now I am unable to use 16 scenes in the configuration I have loaded. So the unit is not performing as intended . The limitations go beyond the 32 sec.

All of this should have been stated upfront in the manual

TCO TCO (Cosmic Order) 0 votes

All of what should be stated? The only real limitation is the 32 second thing. The rest of your complaints are due to you not understanding how to use the machines resources efficiently. Think of the sampler's memory as a large fruit pie. If you cut it in to tiny, 32mb slices, you can have 256 (16x16) of them. If you want 64mb slices, you only get 128 (16x8) slices, 128mb slices will give you a total of 64 (16x4) slices. The pie is finite. The larger the slice, the fewer of them there will be. Pioneer can't possibly predict the size of every sample that every person could possibly use. They give you a large chunk of ram and a way to divide that ram up across a number of slots and scenes but they never said that you can fill every slot with any size sample you want.

Midnight Music Club 0 votes

Missold is a rhetoric.am not trying to prove anything here, I like unit , want to keep it but expect Pio to provide optimization tips so we all don't need bend our backs to figure it out.if RAM is a serious limitation and inhibits usage of the unit then it has to be made clear. Pio's user interaction and support is not the best and considering this is their maiden MI product I think they should engage more intimately with users and drive up the service quality.

TCO TCO (Cosmic Order) 0 votes

Maybe you can figure out the size of the Sample RAM yourself:

The Toraiz should support 16 (scenes) * 16 (patterns) =256 samples with each 32 seconds length at once. (means, one project).

The sample type support is 16-bit stereo, so the size of one second of a 16-bit stereo wav is 1411000 bit.

To sum it all up, the Sample RAM must be 1,444864 GB to handle this.

This does not include any needed RAM for the effects, notes and triggers etc.. This is unknown and not to calculate.

So to test this theorem, you could try to load 256 16-bit Stereo Wav samples with 32 seconds length each into one project and see if it works or how much of the samples you can add. You should use different samples, because I assume the Toraiz caches samples.

Alternatively, just have a look at the overall sample-size of your project where you can not add a sample anymore.

Cie 0 votes

The Toraiz is perfect for what it does, and if Pioneer takes out the 32 sec limit, I will sell mine. It would miss the whole concept of a sampler and destroy creativity again. Regarding the price: I think it is well priced. Why? It has an amazing sound with probably great converters, filters, and effects. High quality  sound remains expensive. Compare it to the Octatrack for example, and you will hear the difference on a good system. Day and night.

Matz 0 votes

Using it the right way and for its purpose, I never faced a memory issue so far. An I bought it the first day it was available working a lot with it. 

Matz 0 votes

However, I can't really fry eggs on it or watch movies. Guys, this would be a great feature to ask for. Watching movies! 

Matz -2 votes