Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

RB-DMX1 - Fixture Frustrations

I must say, this not what I expected from all the Hype at NAMM. Why is there not an option see the DMX channel assignments so I can better troubleshoot the issues I am having with 5 fixtures that are already included in the Altabase database?!?!?!? Currently they do nothing and I have the proper channel mode. It's as if the fixture is not receiving any values in their DMX channels, but my moving heads and pars further down in the DMX chain are. For example, I have a colorstrip (4 Channel RGB mixing mode) properly addressed and mapped in the dmx universe but it does nothing. Channel 1 for that fixture needs to be set to a value of 215 in order for the RGB blends to occur. I looked at the fixtures *.db3 file in SQLite to look at the assignment and it shows as "Modes". The frustrating part is that some of the scenes go dark in the track, I assume because it thinks its sending info to the dead fixtures. The way I rectify it on the fly is by changing the scene when it happens.

djsvazquez Completed

Please sign in to leave a comment.

82 comments

@ Pulse....I realize you are busy with NAMM.  Been there, I get it you have a lot going on.  But are your colorstrips or colorstrip minis working or not?  If so how?  Sitting on an arsenal of lighting I'd love to get working with the RB-DMX.  Seriously have been waiting for months for a solution...

Mitch 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@Mitch I think they might be using another model colorstrip because I've tried everything under the sun and it just does not work. Let's wait and see if Pulse can prove me wrong. The only way I can see it working with the current version is if there is another interface inline with the colorstrip, like the DMX Blackbird PFX. Trying to get a hold at some contacts that are attending NAMM to see if they can verify them being used.

djsvazquez 0 votes

Sorry guys, they swapped out the ColorStrip Minis for U6 strips. I'll be in touch with our lighting team to see if they can dig into this one for a resolution.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse Not surprised. Here is the frustrating part... they should have been aware of this issue back in April of 2018 when I brought it to your attention and they have done nothing. So sorry for being a pessimist, but this probably will be ignored because we are probably a small percentage of your user-base. And, I'm not sure if you noticed from my videos, but, I have invested heavily in Pioneer gear. Been a fanboy since I purchased my CDJ-500's, which I still have. I may need to re-evaluate my loyalties. 

djsvazquez 0 votes

I've brought this up again with the lighting database team as in my follow-up testing, the "color mixing mode" signal was not being sent, even though they had previously indicated their database should have that value. We will certainly get to the bottom of this for you guys.

Pulse 0 votes

@ djsvazquez I like your ingenuity but a true fix would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully they will get it sorted. @Pulse Thanks for trying to get this resolved!  Once this is addressed if you can get them to roll out a RB-DMX1 software updated with some gobo control and some prism movement for moving heads we would really LOVE that.  Then Pioneer might have a true Sound Switch competitor on their hands!

Mitch 0 votes

We already kick SS to the curb on so many other features, but yeah, I'm hoping we can get a few of the suggested updates included soon.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse & @AltaBase Looks like progress has been made, however the colormix mode still is unresolved. Can this get addressed???? My guess is that the colormix mode would operate in the same fashion as a PAR would.

djsvazquez 0 votes

There are a few fixtures in the database which operate like this and they are working on a solution, hopefully soon! Thanks again for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes

So today I decided to plug in my 2 COLORStrip Mini’s with my RBDMX1 and I can confirm they are behaving exactly as they should, however Color Mix mode still isn’t working.
I’m glad I can finally incorporate these into my setup now.

Matthew Healey 0 votes

Slowly making progress - thanks for letting us know they're at least working better than before!

Pulse 0 votes

Well guys, after the winter break I am gearing up for an event tomorrow and pulling my gear out to get ready.  Pulled out one of my colorstrips and hooked it up the the RB-DMX1 hoping that this was all resolved.  Still got nothing.  NOTHING!  This is the regular color strip, not the mini.  It still does absolutely nothing when connected.  Awesome.... 

Mitch 0 votes

@Mitch > Did you ensure you're using the latest version of rekordbox with an updated lighting database?

Pulse 0 votes

1008? Geez, that's probably why! We're currently at v.1058! Please click the refresh icon at the right of the lighting panel to update:

Pulse 0 votes

Dang, my bad!  I thought it updated the library every time you switched to lighting mode.  I didn't realize it was simply reading the current library.  I am happy to report I am now getting some action out of the colorstrip!  Just a heads up, the RGB color mode does not seem to work, however the other modes in the library seem to be working correctly!  Thanks for the help!

Mitch 0 votes

@Mitch > Glad to hear -- I know not all features of every fixture work 100%, but at least we're on the right path. Thanks for writing back.

Pulse 0 votes