Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

RB-DMX1 - Fixture Frustrations

I must say, this not what I expected from all the Hype at NAMM. Why is there not an option see the DMX channel assignments so I can better troubleshoot the issues I am having with 5 fixtures that are already included in the Altabase database?!?!?!? Currently they do nothing and I have the proper channel mode. It's as if the fixture is not receiving any values in their DMX channels, but my moving heads and pars further down in the DMX chain are. For example, I have a colorstrip (4 Channel RGB mixing mode) properly addressed and mapped in the dmx universe but it does nothing. Channel 1 for that fixture needs to be set to a value of 215 in order for the RGB blends to occur. I looked at the fixtures *.db3 file in SQLite to look at the assignment and it shows as "Modes". The frustrating part is that some of the scenes go dark in the track, I assume because it thinks its sending info to the dead fixtures. The way I rectify it on the fly is by changing the scene when it happens.

djsvazquez Completed

Please sign in to leave a comment.

82 comments

There's lots on the list for things we'd love to see fixed and added, but I don't have any specific information on some of these smaller nuisances as they relate to a very particular set of circumstances and information for certain fixtures. Hopefully they can get to them sooner rather than later. So we do thank you for your patience!

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I got a RB-dmx1 when they released them and found out quick that out of all my lights only the moving heads would work somewhat.I have also posted about the colorstrip not working back then and see its still not working so I went back to serato and showxpress and see the RB-DMX1 ($400 paperweight) sitting there and figured sure its fixed by now and its not. I have even asked for the software to edit the light profiles to see if i could help them a little and still no reply or fix.Maybe its time to let some other software company see if they can fix it.

wirehead 0 votes

Still unresolved and not sure how much longer I'll wait before I sell it for a loss. I am running Serato/Soundswitch for now and everything works as expected. I will, however, give the RB-DMX1 the one up when it comes to scripting their light shows. Soundswitch requires a lot of setup and careful consideration when setting up autoloops with multiple lights, then scripting a show for the tracks. The movements are based on how they are assigned by the end-user, which will be an issue for many novices. The RB-DMX1 did a much better job at analyzing tracks and generating a lightshow automatically and the shows were more fluid. If they can only get the Gobos/Focus/Prism settings incorporated as well as resolving the issue with many fixtures, including the lasers... It will be the best "Out-of-the-box" DJ Software with lighting integration on the market, IMHO. 

Fingers-crossed for a major update soon and for the record, I am still frustrated. LOL

djsvazquez 0 votes

Yeah guys, just got the RB DMX1 recently and was really excited about it.  Had been considering moving to Serato/Sound Switch but have been a Rekordbox user forever and didn't want to switch software.  When I saw this come out I was stoked however now I am just really disappointed. I also own Chauvet Colorstrips and they don't function with it right now.  I also have really swanky high end moving heads that I can only use in a simple spot and color function, i.e. I can't access or use prisms, gobos, rotation, etc when setting up macros.  SO LAME!  I expected a whole lot more out of this product. I have been on board with Rekordbox since its launch and have been using pioneer gear for 20+ years.  

You need to get a V2 of the software out soon because without being able to access all the features of my fixtures I am returning this thing.  I am also the owner of a multi op mobile DJ company and was planning to outfit all of my guys with this unit.  Sadly it looks like we will be switching to Serato and Sound Switch.

Mitch 0 votes

This has been my gripe with it since day one. I was an early adopter of the RB-DMX with high hopes, only to be disappointed.

djsvazquez 0 votes

It is really disappointing.  The lighting interface software itself is pretty intuitive and fairly well thought out. Definitely easy to use.  It just doesn't deliver the functionality that any pro DJ is going to require.  Seems to me like they should have waited to release this thing until it had proper functionality and usability.  Also I find the promo video that they use to sell and promote the RB DMX to be very misleading!  In the promo video you see moving heads utilizing GOBOs and rotation.  Obviously the lights in the video were not controlled by a RB-DMX1.  SMH that is deceptive advertising!

Mitch 0 votes

My fear is that this will all be resolved... with the next release of the RB-DMX1... the RB-DMX2.

@Mitch, I am not sure I recall them showing Gobo functions from the NAMM videos, but if they did, that is definitely DECEPTIVE!

djsvazquez 0 votes

For anyone looking to invest in the RB-DMX1, my suggestion is to either wait, look at alternative solutions, or just use simple PARS and moving wash heads. The amount of time and lack of problem resolution from Pioneer is not what I, as a consumer of their DJ products, am accustomed to. it's obvious that this product was rushed and lacked the QA/QC it needed to be ready for distribution. With the issues they experienced with the DDJ-SX3 release, I am beginning to second guess them as a company. The issues, and not just my own, that early adopters of the lighting interface have been complaining about have yet to be resolved (gobos, prisim, focus, lasers and light bar fixture support) and it just more proof of how it was prematurely released. I am sure the interface is plenty capable of handling what users have requested, but the programmers are falling way short of incorporating the missing elements. 

djsvazquez 0 votes

Hi, 
Is there any update?
I recently bought the ColorStrip Mini's with hopes of linking it into my setup, but it appears this still isn't possible as I'm having the exact same problems discussed above.

Matthew Healey 0 votes

@Matthew Healey

There is no telling when this issue will be addressed. It seems like something that is simple enough to address by the development team relatively quickly, but the lack of response from them has forced me to go back to my SeratoDJ/Soundswitch combination which has been great thus far. Don't hold your breath like I have on a fix, you'll end up suffocating.

djsvazquez 0 votes

9 months and NO SOLUTION to this issue. Now a new one has surfaced and I am even afraid to ask.... some scenes do nothing. This is pathetic and useless!!!! 

djsvazquez 0 votes

@djsvazquez > I've answered that question here.

@Matthew > I saw your other post, we've been discussing it internally -- we use the ColorStrip Mini at our shows, so it does certainly work. I'll be using them again on Wednesday, so I'll follow-up with you at that time to outline the process and figure out what might be going on.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong then.
I have set everything up perfectly as I would any of my other 28 fixtures and they do absolutely nothing.
If I set it as the colorstrip FX (I think that’s what it’s called) I can receive a signal, but rather than do what it’s supposed to it just strobes weirdly and doesn’t do the colors properly.

Matthew Healey 0 votes

I have multiple venues setup.... My main venue has approx. 16 fixtures in each. I have another venue that has 6 fixtures addressed identically as the main venue. Some of the Intro scenes do nothing, however, if i select another scene as the intro, it works. The fixtures will respond accordingly with some scenes. It seems that for some particular scenes, there is nothing happening (all off).

djsvazquez 0 votes

@djsvazquez > Addressing doesn't mean the same as having the same fixture assignments.

If Venue 1 has 8 fixtures; PAR1, PAR2, PAR3, PAR4, MOVER1, MOVER2, MOVER3, MOVER4...

and Venue 2 has 6 fixtures: PAR1, PAR2, PAR1, PAR2, BAR1, BAR2...

Those will not be the same shows.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse Are you telling me the issue with the Colorstrips has been resolved?!?!?! I still get nothing, so please, do tell, what am I doing wrong? I've already shown videos of my setup, so is there anything additional that must be done?

djsvazquez 0 votes

@Pulse understood. My venue has the Pars as Par1, Par2 and My moving heads as Mover1, Mover2. Like I mentioned, if I select a different colored scene, they work.

djsvazquez 0 votes

@djsvazquez > I can tell you that we use ColorStrip Mini's in our shows, and yes, they do work. Again, I'll be setting them up on Wednesday for the NAMM Show and can go over it then.

As for your venues, are you properly switching the venue in the preferences?

And as long as they have the same fixture types, regardless of the addresses, the show would be the same.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse -> Ok. I'll try again when I get home from the office and report back.

djsvazquez 0 votes

Just did RB Lightings latest update and my 2 ColorStrip mini’s are not working

Matthew Healey 0 votes

@Matthew > Again, I'll be setting them up Wednesday and can provide further detail at that point.

Pulse 0 votes

@Mitch > Makes 2 of us. I've only been waiting since April 2018. LOL

djsvazquez 0 votes

And for the record, I just hooked up my color strip and I get not a dang thing.  Have it addressed as the first fixture in my universe.  Addressed as 1 on the fixture.  Running it as bar light #1.  Switched to performance mode and using a song/phrase where it should light up, I am getting nothing! Notta, zip.  Eagerly waiting for further instructions!

Mitch 0 votes

@Pulse -> So it turns out that this circles back to my issue with the Colorstrip from April 2018. All the intro lighting activity was set to the "Bar Light 1" mapping and since the light does nothing, my intro is dark! I still get nothing from my Colorstrip and I know you are using them for NAMM on Wednesday, just don't understand why it would even need explanation to begin with. It should be pretty straight forward. 

djsvazquez 0 votes

Also, if you have the Colorstrip working correctly, what mode are you using? I need the RGB ColorMix mode. 

@Matthew & @Mitch Are you guys trying ColorMix Mode as well?

djsvazquez 0 votes

I have tried using all 5 options for Colorstrip in the Fixture library and none of them will get  the light to work for me.  

Mitch 0 votes

@Pulse Any word on what we are all doing wrong?  Are your colorstrips working today?

Mitch 0 votes

We're in for setup after noon today, it may not be until tomorrow that I'm able to reply - thanks for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes

@Mitch I am eager too, since he mentioned that they have them working. I have been messing with my setup to no avail. Even changing the dmx channel address to see if I got a response from the RB-DMX1 (which it did) but it just flickers randomly.

djsvazquez 0 votes