Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 follower Segui

E-8305 unsupported file type error

Hi,

I DJ at home using a DDJ RX controller running Rekordbox (which I have always updated to the latest version fairly soon after release), but then export to USB and use CDJs when I play out. I never have any problems on my home set up but am getting the E-8305 unsupported file type error with increasing frequency when I play out. Two years ago it never happened, then it started to happen a little bit, then  during a gig  a few weeks ago (playing on CDJ Nexus 2000 mk1's)  it happened with about 1/3 of my tunes.

Now I know this error is supposed to relate to when you try to play tunes that are an unsupported file type, but that isn't actually what's going on here. I think that  because a) I bought them from Beatport/Juno download so they should be fine b) many of the files affected have worked in the past and most importantly c) during that gig I loaded tracks from my backup USB and many of the tracks that were showing this error on the first USB worked.

Looking at previous posts and stuff online I think it either to do with the USB sticks I have been using or is an error in Rekordbox.

I saw this post thread which makes me think it due to Rekordbox from version 4.3 onwards corrupting files as it exports

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009037006-E-8305-unsupported-file-type

No that makes sense as the problem has been getting worse since version 4.3 was released.

But then I saw this interview with Avalon Emerson where she talks about CDJs not recognising USB sticks with slow read speeds

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3392

I use San Disk USB 2.0 sticks. Pretty cheap but I didn't think that would be a problem. The fact that the slightly one had more tracks with the error than the newer one is evidence for this being the issue.

Now the 2 possible ways to resolve this, downgrading to Rekordbox 4.2 or buying a £60 super fast SD card, both involve significant investment of time or money. So I would like to only do the one that is going to work. Does anyone in Pioneer know what is going on and can recommend a fix?

Thanks

Joelee733

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

5 commenti

Troubleshooting steps I'd suggest:

- Does it happen consistently with the same song? In other words, does that song throw the error every time it's loaded on the CDJ, or only sometimes? If every time, check that the song is indeed compatible with the CDJ. It could be as simple as the sample rate / bit depth. If it's only sometimes, try reformatting your SD card, give it a new (unique) name, export the tracks again, try once more. If it happens again, try removing the album art (especially for the Beatport songs).

- Try linking the players in EXPORT mode. If the song loads over the link, then the problem certainly isn't the song itself, but rather the medium on which it was stored.

Which version of rekordbox are you currently using? Which firmware is on the CDJs? That could be it as well.

Pulse 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Thanks for getting back to me.

It doesn't happen consistently with the same songs. There have been songs that show the error on one USB stick but then play fine when played from another one.

I have USB sticks rather than an SD card. Would you recommend playing from an SD card then? (As per what Avalon Emerson is saying in the interview I referenced above).

I will try removing the album art but would still like to explore all the things that could be causing the issue as I am playing out on 20 April and would like to go into the gig safe in the knowledge that this wont be a problem.

I am sorry I don't understand what you mean by linking the players in EXPORT mode. I know what EXPORT mode in rekordbox on my computer is but I have never come across it on CDJs and cant find anything online about it. Can you provide a link to info on that please.

I have always updated to the latest version of Rekordbox as its released, so am currently up to 5.3. I don't know about the CDJs firmware as they belong to the club, they are not mine.

What is your opinion on this thread, which seems to identify a fault within Rekordbox from version 4.3 onwards as the source of the issue

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009037006-E-8305-unsupported-file-type

Thanks

Joelee733 0 voti

Hi, I solved the problem by formatting the usb sticks in the end. Thanks anyway

Joelee733 0 voti

Glad it was something simple - if it pops up again, please let us know.

Pulse 0 voti