Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

6フォロワー フォローする

rekordbox for Android: ability to read directly from a SD card

Hi guys,

I am doing a couple of tests with rekordbox for android as I am planning a migration from CDJ 1000s and DDJ-T1 to a XDJ Aero in a near future and I've got into this situation:

I did all the track analysis through rekordbox for MacOS in my MacBook and then I've exported a couple of tracks to my SD using the device panel, dragging and dropping these tracks I wanted to the "All Tracks folder" into the SD.

Then I've browsed the SD card and noticed that the rekordbox Contents folder is there, with the tracks I've selected before. Looks like everything's went fine.

I plugged the SD card into an Android tablet I do own here which have a SD slot. Then I plugged the card into it and launched rekordbox 2.0.1.

So I thought myself: as I already did all the import using the MacOS version of rekordbox, I was expecting to jump from the "Import" step directly to the "Prepare" one. So I did: hit the "Prepare Button" and then for my surprise, the tracks wasn't being showed there...

I've returned to the main menu and hit the "Import" button and I can see all files that are stored in the SD (the ones that are into the Contents folder and the ones that aren't located into it too) are there but when I do the "Import" directly through the app, it copies these files to the tablet's memory, which is limited and don't have enough space to host all the tracks from the SD card.

Is there a way in which I can do all the analysis and the import in my laptop and then after, when running the Anrdoid app, be able to have all these tracks and informations being read directly from SD, without the need to Import to the tablet's own memory? 

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Char

サインインしてコメントを残してください。

91件のコメント

Yes. On both Ipad, and Iphone, and Android.

The option to export still seems to be going to the internal memory ... is this right ? with 1.13 (Android)

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

This also DO NOT WORK. I tested my mac tonight and tried to write to the SD card, with or without the option on.

It failed.

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Yeah it'd save us a lot of trouble if we could keep the exported tracks on the 'droid' SD card (in my case I got a 32GB micro) the internal memory gets drained and the phone freezes up after exporting playlists. This'd be a big bonus for the next update... sorry iPhone peeps!

maDJam 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I've just set-up my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with a 64GB SDXC card.  Very much hoping the SD usage feature will be developed.

Jason Clark 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

would be cool, get a small droid tablet, pop in a 256gb memory card with all the music and use the RB app for searching and dropping tracks, the only other option for me so I can leave the laptop at home is if they implement the iPad app reading my usb drive plugged into the players the way the Aero does

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

any luck guys in new version that came out today (12/10/12)?

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

so my friend at work has the Galxy S3, When I connect it to RB it reads the phone as 32gb of storage which is his SD card, once I pull the SD card and reconnect it then shows the internal 16gb of storage, I guess so far thats a good sign. I never tested this before so i am not sure if that differes from previous versions. 

I do know the files are transferred to the card though cause once I pull the card, no tracks show up in the app, I put the card in, the tracks appear when I re-open the app.

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Bri, ive updated this today and there still seems to be no way of RB actually writing to the SD card, it seems to be able to read it, but them to process the file, RB writes the "info file" ... that RB needs to play the wave and info, back on the internal memory

Also when pulled into my mac there is no way of writing straight to the SD card in the tablet.

From what I can tell, this method still does NOT work ..

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I had a quick look and this version just have the changes that are inside the changelog that's on Play Store really. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMHO, it was just a minor update...While they don't update to version 1.2.x, I guess we might not see this feature we are talking about implemented.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Even with myself thinking that this would be a minor update as well...

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

maybe it's just the Galaxy that can write to the SD card right now, He did have a custom ROM on the phone so maybe that had something to do with it

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

The real deal here in my opinion here BriChi, is not to be able to write into the SD, but to read directly from the SD without importing to anrdoid device's memory. The import operation would be done quickly into a rekordbox version of Windows or Mac to the SD, so the database would be ready to go and play into rekordbox mobile.

With this, it would be not needed to import the tracks using rekordbox mobile as this operation was already done in rekordbox for Windows or Mac much more quickly than into a limited android device... And no copy of files are at all needed.

Just reminding that the directory/folder structure, independently if importing from rekordbox Windows/Mac or rekordbox mobile, they are exactly the same! It is just a matter of being able to change rekordbox mobile where to seek the database. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Instead of hard coding a path of where to seek the files, it could be something where the user could parametrize and configure...

That was my suggestion since the beginning of this discussion. 

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I don't know if I was clear into the feature I was really seeking and describing... Maybe chatting with someone technical from Pioneer and that's actually envolved into rekordbox mobile development,  I could explain the scenario better...

My only objective here is to see rekordbox getting better and better, it's not to complain missing features, but try to bring ideas that could make us deal with the stuff more effectively. And I am doing this because I can see a big potential into how DJs can work with this thing running smooth...

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

thats a great idea too Jeff, export to an SD card on the mac/pc, Then insert it into a tablet and have the Droid RB app read the card and send the tracks to each CDJ, WOuld make for a much faster transfer. The wifi transfer from my mac to the galaxy's SD card was painfully slow, not that I was surprised, it's what I expected

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I really like your ideas Jeff, very well presented & coherent, well structured argument in why the SD card SHOULD be enabled.

I agree with you on both points.

I also think there are two ways of adopting this, either allow the SD card, when the RB Android is Wifi'ed connected to the Mac, allow the Rekordbox 2.01 on the Mac (or what ever the next version will be), the opportunity to WRITE to the SD card, an updated mobile version should then be released to allow the Android devise the ability to read the info that's just been downloaded. Currently, when the Android is Wifi connected to RB Mac, it only reads the INTERNAL MEMORY, this has to be changed.

the other way, as Jeff said would be to update the Android app to act as a HOST. You could export tracks in the usual way as if you were putting them into the 2000 or 2000 Nexus, then , when plugged into the app, it would read it.

Both methods are alot better than relying on a relevantly slow Android processor in comparison to a quad core Mac or PC

Please take note Pioneer

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Also Bri, I thought about having my Android, "Hacked" or jailbroken what ever the Droid name is for it

Just to force the App to write or read the SD card.

Sounds like it would work if the actual App was based on the SD cars - any ideas how to Rom a Android 4.0 Ice Cream ... This method sounds promising as well

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@DJccccc

This limitation, in being able to write or read directly the SD card, is not an android limitation at all. It is a rekordbox one.

BTW... rekordbox reads SD fine at the import function.  But you can't use it to read it directly into the prepare and load functions because rekordbox just reads what's inside device's own storage or (teorically) what's inside the path /storage/sdcard0. And this is where the limitation is at.

What I am suggesting here it is the possibility to parametrize this path inside rekordbox's own configuration. So I can "point" rekordbox to read the database whatever media I plug into my android device.

Rooting or installing a different ROM into your device would not enable this functionality at all. Android can write/read SD, USB or whatever without restrictions. It's up to rekordbox implementation and what your device have to offer to be able to use these android features or not.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

And that's why it is a bit hard to develop android software due to the tons of possibilities and different devices. I can understand Pioneer position, too.

It is very well fair that Pioneer didn't thought about all these possibilities we are enumerating here and I think it is "our job" inform them about all these. I just hope they are really interested in listening to us and moving this forward.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

it's just strange that on the GS3 I was able to write and use to the SD card, Wonder what's different in that phone that allows RB to see it both the internal and external

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

In my case BriChi, I do have one device that mounts the SD under /extsd, not into the default /sdcard0...

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@BriChi

Are you able to make an import through rekordbox for Windows/Mac into your SD and then later on, be able to use the collection into prepare and load directly into rekordbox mobile without the needing of running the import at it?

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

When I spoke to Pioneer at a convention 2 months ago, I was told, you should be able to write to the SD card ... is this what happened Bri, i dont think its a Android firmware issue 

Just by wifi connecting it, from Mac//PC to the Android, then it would write to the SD, it doesnt, and im still puzzled!

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Well guys... A few updates after some experiments I did here a few hours ago!

I recently purchased a microSD card that came up with a USB reader for it. So, I've inserted the card into it, plugged it in one USB port in my MacBook and opened rekordbox in MacOS.

I've selected 2 tracks from my collection, just for testing purposes, and selected to analyze them. After the analysis, with both tracks selected, I went into the "Export Tracks" option and selected my microSD card that was inside the USB microSD reader.

So I've opened "Finder" to check if the files were copied into the microSD card, following the rekordbox directory structure and it went all OK.

Then finally the "big" test: in my Xperia Mini Pro, I replaced my old microSD card with the one that I've used in rekordbox in my MacBook, with the files already there and analyzed, started rekordbox mobile (for Android) and went straight into the "Prepare" option and voilà: the tracks appeared there, analyzed, without passing through the "Import" function or analysis in rekordbox mobile!!! For my happiness! :)

So here are my conclusions: rekordbox mobile DOES in fact, reads already prepared imported collections made in rekordbox for MacOS/Windows into a sdcard! But your android device must mount the sdcard STRICTLY into the /storage/sdcard0 path. If your android device mounts your microSD card into any other path, rekordbox mobile will just recognize the files after hitting the "Import" function, then what the software will do, it will copy the selected files into the INTERNAL MEMORY of your android device and will read the files FROM THERE, not directly from your microSD.

So I think we could consider that rekordbox for android indeed reads directly from a sdcard, but unfortunately, in a fixed path, that is /storage/sdcard0. Anything different than that, it will request for a "Import" into the internal memory first.

Just reaffirming here, anyways, It would be a very nice addon to rekordbox for android, the possibility to change this path, because we have in the market tons of different android devices that can mount different media into different paths. I do have a tablet here that does have an USB port and an external microSD reader that obviously mounts into a path that is different than /storage/sdcard0, and I would like to be able to, for example, do this same scenario I described here using a USB stick.

In case anyone need some help or advice in being able to achieve this, feel free to beep me!

Now I've started seriously thinking of finally buying a XDJ-AERO! :D

Just describing here what I've used to do this:

- An old MacBook 2 GHz, running MacOS 10.5.8 and rekordbox 2.0.2

- A Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro phone, running Android 4.1.2 (Cyanogen MOD 10) and rekordbox mobile 1.1.4.

- A Kingston SDC4 microSD card, with 8GB and a USB microSD card reader (that came up with the same bundle of the microSD!).

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink