Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

投稿

6フォロワー フォローする

rekordbox for Android: ability to read directly from a SD card

Hi guys,

I am doing a couple of tests with rekordbox for android as I am planning a migration from CDJ 1000s and DDJ-T1 to a XDJ Aero in a near future and I've got into this situation:

I did all the track analysis through rekordbox for MacOS in my MacBook and then I've exported a couple of tracks to my SD using the device panel, dragging and dropping these tracks I wanted to the "All Tracks folder" into the SD.

Then I've browsed the SD card and noticed that the rekordbox Contents folder is there, with the tracks I've selected before. Looks like everything's went fine.

I plugged the SD card into an Android tablet I do own here which have a SD slot. Then I plugged the card into it and launched rekordbox 2.0.1.

So I thought myself: as I already did all the import using the MacOS version of rekordbox, I was expecting to jump from the "Import" step directly to the "Prepare" one. So I did: hit the "Prepare Button" and then for my surprise, the tracks wasn't being showed there...

I've returned to the main menu and hit the "Import" button and I can see all files that are stored in the SD (the ones that are into the Contents folder and the ones that aren't located into it too) are there but when I do the "Import" directly through the app, it copies these files to the tablet's memory, which is limited and don't have enough space to host all the tracks from the SD card.

Is there a way in which I can do all the analysis and the import in my laptop and then after, when running the Anrdoid app, be able to have all these tracks and informations being read directly from SD, without the need to Import to the tablet's own memory? 

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Char

サインインしてコメントを残してください。

91件のコメント

Ive done abit of playing around - and my Android is Ice Cream at the min

By the looks of it Jelly Bean works ... Ice Cream does not 

Its the "Where the SD is trying to mount issue" - this look like an easy software fix, I think we might have isolated the issue

Also I found this ...

"JellyBean changed the directory from /data/media to /storage/sdcard0. Now both /data/media and /sdcard/ are symlinks to /storage/sdcard0. They aren't really copies so they aren't wasting space. They are simply symlinked to the same directory."

This explains the Jellybean // Icecreamsandwhich issue

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Nice one, DJccccc. Good to know this! I didn't knew that Android had changed the directory structure. I think this explains clearly why it was not working before, as I've updated my phone to Jellybean a while ago!

It seems that the rekordbox mobile developers had in their mind and tested just in Jellybean while developing this feature.

IMHO, this just shows even more the need to create a option to parametrize/change the path into rekordbox mobile and get away with this kind of problem in the future.

BTW... Maybe a workaround for those who are not using Jellybean would be create a symlink called "/storage/sdcard0", pointing to where the SD is really mounted? To be able to do this, it would require root access to the phone though, as it would need write access to the root folder to be able to create the symlink... For those who are adventurous, this might have a chance to get it working.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I was googling this that last after my find, though it seems quite complicated

I dont think my Droid supports messing around with the Rom

Pionner need to issue a fix for this, Im happy we are getting come where - but a ticket needs to be raised so this is fully investigated

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Just tested this method of creating a symlink here and it works too!!! :)

A tablet I do have here which does have a USB external port is now reading it at /storage/sdcard0 folder! Actually, if the device is already rooted It is quite easy. But I highly advice to do this only if you know what you are doing and feel secure to do so, since you can make a mistake and "damage" something.

A curious observation here: I don't know why rekordbox, in the very start, requests for the "sdcard" and if this is not mounted, it just crashes informing that there is not enough space. Weird stuff! hehehe!

Thanks for the tips, DJccccc! Hope Pioneer implement this into the next versions of rekordbox for any user to be able to customize this without the need of hacks into the Android system. At least now I don't feel myself "jailed"! :)

2013 I am defo going to a XDJ-Aero now! :)

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Any more official comments on this Pioneer???????????????????

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Please how can I change from   storage/sdcard0   to    storage/extsdcard   when I exporting music from rekordbox into my android Galaxy S3?

Thank you.

P. Programator 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@P. Programator

There's no way to do this directly in rekordbox, just if you "hack" the Android settings.

To do this, you would need to root your Galaxy and give a WRITE permission to a folder (depending if your device is running ICS or Jellybean, the folder will be different). I did this into a device I own here and it worked, but Pioneer will give you no support for this kind of thing.

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Thank you Jeff Char.

Pioneer going to change the folder in the future?

P. Programator 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

We don't know yet. We've requested this feature quite a while ago and at least they implemented a way to make it read directly into the /storage/sdcard0 folder. Even this was not implemented when I've opened this thread!

The thing is to wait for the next versions and check which features people are requesting here that will get implemented...From what I see the Pioneer policy is to collect the suggestions and work quietly...

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Id like to again second Jeffs comment, an update PLEASE on this Pioneer.

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

ok Im still struggling with this.

Ive now got a Toshiba AT300, with updated JELLYBEAN 4.1

Ive updated to 1.15 (thank you FINALLY for the SD Card options)

What ive not got is that my Android apparently has the following settings ...

External SD card accessible as /storage/sdcard1

• Internal SD card is on /storage/sdcard0

• Both are still accessible via /mnt

• External SD now accessible from 3rd party apps (es file explorer) even if format is FAT32. Previously it was read-only to 3rd party apps unless you reformatted at extFAT

When I got the prepare option - I still cant view my files.

Can anyone help ??

My SD card is FAT 32 - 128GB (Does it need to be exFAT?)

Thoughts and ideas please people ...

Cheers

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Just a further update

Ive been having a play around

There seems to be a problem, **REKORDBOX 2.03** is NOT able to write to the SD CARD id its formated "ExFAT"

Rekordbox Android cant change the DESTINATION or  "Location of Library" if the SD Card is NOT EXFAT !! .. It DOESNT work with FAT 32

Anyone else do some testing please ... Pioneer some ideas

Seems daft you cant write in the PC version to an SD Card thats not FAT 32 (This is prop because of the CDJ not been able to read it etc)

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

To add to my previous points & things ive discovered in the last hour or so ...

A) Rekordbox PC will NOT Export to a SD Card that's not formatted FAT 32 (exFAT OR NTSC will NOT appear) - I think think is because the 2000 or 2000Nxs will only play songs from a FAT 32 devise.

B) Rekordbox MOBILE (Android) ... Will NOT read a FAT 32 SD CARD !! It will only read a exFAT SD Card.

Ive tried as many combinations as I can with this but it still will not read, it will only give me the option to import the tracks on the SD to the INTERNAL MEMORY ... This is the fault everyone has been complaining about - so its definatly a nogo !!

I also found if the SD CARD was FAT 32 formatted, you could NOT change the "Location of the File" - you got an error message saying the source was invalid (something on those lines) 

I Retry it again, when the SD CARD was exFAT (both a 2Gb card which was a micro SD and a 128GB SDXC) - and you could change the option, my path on my tablet (TOSHIBA AT300 - the unit which read FULL SIZE SD CARDS (and micro with converter), ****upto 128 GB SDXC!!***  and is NOW **JELLYBEAN** ASWELL) and I was able to change the storage path on the "location of the library" to ...        storage/sdcard1  ... this is the path my tablet recognises when writing and reading to the SD Card. 

There for it worked ... exFAT SD CARD

Anyway 2 major area's id like to see improved please  

1) For the PC Rekordbox 2.04 (im using the new 2.03) to be able to identify the SD CARD is going to be used in a tablet NOT DIRECTLY IN A 2000 OR 2000 NEXUS - and therefore have the ability to **Export DIRECTLY to the SD Card** ... so Android and accept it, read and write etc

2) For Android Rekordbox 1.16 ... to be able to read FAT 32 ... it only fully supports exFAT at the minute, it needs to FULLY SUPPORT Fat 32 aswell please

The way I have got it working !!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, I was abit cheakie and tricked RB PC 2.03, into writing to a spare FAT 32 formatted USB drive, i then went into the USB copied all the Pioneer files onto my exFAT SD CARD, both the 2 gb one and 128gb SD) - and plugged it into the tablet, started RB Android and IT WORKED!!! :D :D :D

FINALLY AFTER NEARLY 6 MONTHS We are getting there, this Android set up is the future I think ... If you can get your engineers to test what I have found, perfect it, I think we could be onto a winner

The idea that you could use a Full size SD Card, 256gb SDXC (when rices come down), have a keyboard and search, history and FULL RB wave formats though a tablet ... thats affordable (not like the IPad which would cost £700+ for a unit that ONLY HAS 64GB MAX!!) ... This has to be seriously looked at.

If you can perfect it Pioneer, you could seriously be onto a winner, you would not need an Ipad. The customisation of Android is far better soluation with things like SD CARD READERS. To even do alot with an Ipad, you need to Jailbreak it, and this comes with risks.

Android really has to be a serious contender for anyone that does not want a Serato or Traktor or a PC // Mac solution --->> FINALLY WE ARE GETTING THERE :)

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

So if I have 64 gigabytes SDcard, how can I export music from rekordbox into my android Galaxy S3?

Thank you.

P. Programator 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Good to know, DJccccc! I noticed today that they've updated it!

Later on tonight, I might be doing a couple of tests with it. And the nice thing is that I will be able to test just in time with my brand new XDJ AERO that is arriving today!!! :)

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Has anyone found a way for the ipad,that the rb app recognises an sd card through the sd camera kit connector that you plug into it?

cdjbasile 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I dont think its Poss CDJBasile, its taken 6 months to get this far

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

If anyone else can perform what ever tests to get this "SD card - Android - RB" test up working any better I would be very happy and eager to hear anyone else's advise and ideas. I just want to be able to use a 128GB in the Android

P. Programator - There has to be a way of formatting it so RB on Mac // PC and write too it, 

Though currently, the computer RB - will only write if the SD Card or USB in FAT 32 (as it thinks its been out in a CDJ2000 / CDJ2000 Nexus) - The Rekordbox Android is brand new territory.

The Programmers will have to develop a fix or a work around . Either to let Android write in FAT 32, in the RB mobile app or allow PCS and Macs to export in exFAT or any higher technological format.

From what I have read, Android software will only allow an THIRD PARTY software (AKA Rekordbox on Android) - read only in FAT32, exFAT in full write and read ... hence its not allowing to change the path and not accessing the files.

If anyone else can confirm this would be much appreciated

Also forum mods please pass these finding to the engineers so they can deliver and develop a work around please.

DJccccc 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I cant even imagine how slow this would be though, On the iPad I transferred a bunch of tracks to play around with and the loading of hot starts was so slow, I couldnt do a set like this going from track to track waiting for cues to load that slow, When RB is linked directly its pretty slow as it is but with the iPad, it's 5x longer. 

what results are you guys seeing, especially when now having them come from SD cards which are even slower

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

has anyone tried doing this with a usb flash drive plugged into a host adapter on a droid tab? I am very interested in get a Samsung Not 8 Tablet, getting the adapter and plugging in a 256gb usb drive to it and exporting my RB collection to this. Is this possible?

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

Well... I didn't tested with a host adapter yet, but I can say that with a cheap chinese tablet I do have here, which does have an independent USB slot, it is working flawlessly!

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

nice! so you have let's say a 64gb usb drive plugged in and you can export from your laptop wirelessly to the tablet you playlists and tracks and it goes on the 64gb drive, not the internal 8-16-32gb? I would love to get a cheap tablet, pop in a 256gb flash drive, export all my playlists and tracks to it and keep it plugged in to  cdj2 as backup and a search tool being I use a plugged in SSD drive for 90% of my gigs plugged directly into cdj1

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I didn't tried in exporting directly from my laptop wirelessly to the tablet yet! What I am doing for now is connecting the USB flash drive into my laptop, exporting incrementally my collection into it through rekordbox and then I unplug it from the laptop and plug it into the tablet, with the collection ready to use into the USB flash drive.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know that it could be possible to export by wireless directly! I will give it a try later on!

Jeff Char 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

I've exported directly by wireless - it works a treat to a Galaxy Note II (with a usb3 stick plugged into it using an adapter). The only problem is the adapter uses up the only available port on the Note II - so you have to run on battery.

Geoff 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

thank you guys!! how do you connect to the cdj then? wirelessly im assuming?

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

yeah, that would be too afaik, Now im looking into what tablet to get with a USB port. so many out there

I wish they would just make the RB app on the iPad able to read the drive plugged into a CDJ so I wouldnt have to figure out and spend more money on a work around

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

@ brichi - ya couldn't have a look at my thread in mixer section about the rotary fader kit please for the djm 800?

Sorry to hijack!

cdjbasile 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink

no problem, i will look for it, post a link here in case I cant find, theres a lot of new threads lately

BriChi 0 票
コメントアクション Permalink