Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

27 abonnés S’abonner

CDJ 2000 Firmware 4.10 Feedback

Hi all,

Please post here your tests and feedbacks of the Ver.4.10 firmware for CDJ 2000 ... Thx

L V G

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

183 commentaires

maybe you're right but my problem is not about the audio quality of files, if you want download that archive and you will see.if it was only that 4 tracks it was ok but are more than that. in my opinion is huge difference betwn cdj 2000 and tp2 i never compared cdj with winamp.

oreste 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

I am at work right now, but just downloaded the audio files and have put them into Ableton Live.  I have not found any glitches yet, and the tracks were very easy to Warp.  That's a good sign for the quality of the files.  When I get home tonight I will try them out on my CDJ-2000s and see what happens.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

very helpful. thanks man. can wait to see your results.

oreste 0 votes

@Oreste: Are you Greek mate? Judging from the username I assume you are.

If this helps, I can also do some tests with my CDJs and post the results, or we can arrange a direct on the fly CDJ check for both mine and your units functionality (or issues discovered). Let me know.

Thanx, Panos.

panoulix 0 votes

@panoulix no, i'm from romania. yes, it will be helpful and if you have a older cdj firmware it will be better. 

update: i've download that 4 tracks from other places, didn't analized them with mik & mp3val, played them from a usb stick transcend 4gb  exported from rekordbox 1.5.1 results: same story. if somebody else are reading this post and have a little bit of free time please do the test if  it can be called like this. thanks in advance 

oreste 0 votes

@ Mark90: If you charge 1000 for a gig would you accept 900? If you buy a car with 5 speeds would you accept the 5th one doesnt work that well and fails when you put it on? And would you also accept if the authorized service make it run better on 5th but now how it was supposed to be? What if also sometimes the eletric window freezes leaving you with the rain coming in so you have to stop, turn off the car and start it again so it goes back to work? 

I only buy .wav and I REALLY MEAN BUY them and had problems with cdjs freezing, glitching and all those sorts of horrible stuff even a noobish controller with a good software like traktor wouldnt do!

Stroboscope 0 votes

@oreste > I'll have a chance to play with them on a 2000 tomorrow (I'm currently in Toronto doing some dealer training sessions), I'll dump them direct and through rekordbox, but I'm also going to render WAV versions to test as well.  I have a thought about the files...

Pulse 0 votes

Here is my report:

I downloaded your music files and loaded them directly into Rekordbox.  My first test was to take the Dan Caster track and play it on both CDJ-2000 players simultaneously.  I made sure to set the grid in Rekordbox first, and then loaded the track on both players.  Then I set the players to Pitch Reset 0%.  I hit play at the same time and played both tracks from the beginning.  I lined up the tracks with the jog wheel and waited for a glitch/trainwreck.  After about 18 seconds I heard a very minor glitch but the track did not go out of sync.  It was like the glitch was identical on both copies of the track, so since they were playing exactly simultaneously they did not go out of sync.

Next, I attempted to mix the beginning of Dan Castor with the end of the same Dan Castor track.  This time the glitch happened at 18 on the track and it did cause the beats to go out of sync immediately.  Instant trainwreck.  So there definitely is a glitch in the track.

I tried mixing the other tracks with the Dan Castor and they all glitched and went out of sync.

Next, I loaded the Dan Castor into Ableton Live.  I warped the track in Live, and then rendered it to an AIFF file.  I loaded the new AIFF copy of Dan Castor into Rekordbox and then Linked it to my CDJ-2000 players.  I attempted to mix the 2 copies of the Dan Castor track as a normal DJ mix and did not get any glitches or beats out of sync.  I did this procedure of using Ableton Live to create new AIFF files of all 4 tracks and in all cases the glitches were eliminated.

My conclusion is that the problem is the audio files and not the CDJ-2000 players.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

Oh.... I forgot to mention this:

One of the 4 MP3 files caused one of my CDJ-2000 players to freeze.  I had to turn it off and on again to make it respond.  This has NEVER ONCE happened to me before in the 2+ years I have owned my CDJ-2000 players.

My advise to everyone here, for what its worth, is to only use uncompressed audio formats like WAV or AIFF.  MP3 is not an acceptable format for live performance.  It is unreliable, and by sheer definition it is a compromise in quality.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

@oreste > I downloaded the files, created WAV versions, and ran a copy of the MP3s through MP3 Scan+Repair (a Mac app, not as good as mp3val).  The MP3s, even the "repaired" version, both had audio glitches whereas the WAVs, which were direct conversion, did not.  As I'm away from my PC, I don't have access to the other audio diagnostic tools I typically run on the files, but I suspect the problem is with the MP3s, not the players.

Pulse 0 votes

Yup.... no question about it at all.  It was the MP3 files.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

What is the program call Pulse for Mac?

Where are people buying there music? I purchase on Beatport, itunes, Ultimix, Xmix and converted my classic cd's.  Should I stay away from itunes? I never had a issue with XMIX or Ultimix and the MP3 sound quality is excellent. 

Jason Ferguson 0 votes

I use Beatport and nothing else.  AIFF only.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

after tomorrow i will check other tracks and i will tell you my results. the thing which i don't understand is why that glitch appear at the same time to track from various artists if are damaged?? can be damaged at the same bits?? i really hope that the tracks are bad. thanks to all for your attention.

oreste 0 votes

I found the last posts interesting about the specific tracks that are skipping, so I downloaded them and tried myself. I see the same problem on my CDJ2000 players, but I don't have a problem playing the tracks on a cheap $10 mp3 player from China.

I'm sorry, but the problem is clearly with the CDJ2000. It's a $$$$ "media player" - it should be able to cope with slightly dodgy MP3 files. If a $10 player from China can work OK, then so should the CDJ2000. The fact you can write the track out in other software without a glitch means the file is effectively fine or the other software is working around the glitch. Again something the CDJ2000 could do.

I'm sure Pioneer will fix this eventually, it'll just take another year.

On a related note I also see comments on stability. I couldn't comment on the latest Firmware (i.e. it works for me), but I have seen the players freeze on Sasha no less a few months ago. Never saw 1000s freeze - I guess that's the joys of software.

Will K 0 votes

A long time ago I posted a similar issue.

There was a Glitch in the sound....a weird noise appeared.

On my cdj 400 or in Wmp , vlc , winamp the glitch didn't appeared.... Pulse told me it probably was a bad mp3 file.

Now I still wonder why it only happened on the 2000 and not on my 400 , or in any other music program..

You can hear the sound over here : http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/85910398/file.html

And a screenshot of the sound , recorded with audacity : http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/40220847/file.html (top is 2000 output, bottem is normal)

TheOne 0 votes

My feeling on this is that the Pioneer CDJ-2000 is a very advanced and technical piece of equipment, and therefore when you play a poor source file it will bring all of the flaws to the surface.  Remember when HDTV first came out, and all of the TV stars had to wear more makeup for the cameras?  Similar situation, I think.  Maybe the cheap Chinese MP3 player you mention is not decoding the file the same way?  Poor equipment might hide some of the flaws in the source because it does such a bad job of reproducing the sound.

In reference to the testing I did yesterday, I have absolutely no idea where those MP3 files came from.  The forum member who posted them was somewhat elusive about their source....  saying they were from "the internet."  Personally, that sort of statement gives me more than enough reason to be suspicious of the audio file.  There seems to be no universally accepted standard for MP3 encoding.  There's a million different encoders out there, and there's a lot of variables when encoding the files.  Quality control is not easy when you have a situation like that.

My CDJ-2000 players have not given me any trouble in the nearly 3 years of ownership thus far.  Yesterday, while playing one of those MP3 files from "the internet" one of my players froze.  3 years of no problems playing WAV files, then I put one MP3 in there and it craps out.  I found that incident to be very instructive, and it certainly reinforces my disdain for the MP3 format.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

Nope, the MP3 file is just a bit stream that gets read out. It's very tightly defined, so the output should be the same. All the clever part goes into the encoder. Now it's perfectly possible the file could be corrupt and you'll have to interpolate some of the data, but again that's just standard stuff. For a "Pro" piece of equipment it should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

I still think there is room for improvement in this area and less blame on the file.

Will K 0 votes

An MP3 is data presented in a very specific way.  Any hardware decoder will expect to be presented with data formatted exactly how it is designed to be.  If the CDJ is trying to squeeze every nuance of quality out of the audio it processes then it's not surprising that data which is clearly incorrect and not as it should be would screw up playback.

A turntable will display the effects of playing a scratched record, a CD with a hole in it will not play, and in the same way an MP3 clearly containing corruption which was obtained from an obviously questionable source will fail also.  You cannot argue a case with such a file I'm afraid.

Mark90 0 votes

if you ask me, i think that your feeling is wrong. cdj 2000 doesn't reflect at all the amount of cash that we've payed on them. for that money i expect a little computer  inside of them which is far far away from reality in my belive. i said  once and i will say it again, look at that lcd and it will say everything to you if you want to understand - i think is the cheapest that they found it in china. i've cleaned that shiny plastic with the lcd cleaning kit (paper & liquid) and it become full of tiny scratches. what build quality is that?? and that is what i think 

when i will have money on my cc (i hope soon) i will buy personally one of that 4 tracks from beatport to demonstrate you that is the cdj fault not of the file. by the way, i'm 90% sure that the track are purchased from beatport.

tomorrow i will put the tracks to an audio cd to see what's happening.

@ everyone who's suspicious on the quality of that files who are playing normal on software & other hardware how can you explain that on cdj at the same time line 0:16- 0:19 appears that glitch. answer to that and i will put no questions.

oreste 0 votes

Mark, the MP3 playback spec is designed to cope with errors. It was designed to be transmitted over mediums that can't guarantee data integrity. "Squeezing" better audio quality has nothing to do with decoding the bit stream. The fact that the MP3 file in question plays fine in other software and media players suggests the file is actually quite playable.

As for a CD, it's 60% data recovery code. You can stick a hole in it from a hole punch and it will still play (actually just stick a little sticker over an area if you really want to test this, then you can remove it afterwards).

Will K 0 votes

@oreste   I will purchase one of those tracks from Beatport tonight as both MP3 & AIFF, and test again.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

@ Pulse is there any insight on the "freezing" issue with the CDJ's and Pro Link? Last weekend I had a deck freeze up both friday and saturday night. This weekend I plan to put CD's in the 2000's as back ups. Any idea if the deck locks up if I will be able to play a cd off of it? I really was hoping for an answer to all this before this weekend? 

dustin cook 0 votes

@ oreste    I just purchased a copy of the Dan Caster track from Beatport as an MP3.  It works perfectly in my CDJ-2000 via Link.  No glitches.  No trainwrecks.

The problem is your audio files.  I don't know what the problem is, but I think this definitively proves the problem is your files and not the players.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

can you upload the track somwhere to try it on my system?? thanks

oreste 0 votes

@dustin, I think is better you have a cd as a backup in a 3rd cdj player or any other player. 

Dream Treez 0 votes

I agree 100% with Fuse. I have never tried aiff but I will in future.

Btw I only buy music from beatport. I download mp3s, wavs and never had a problem with my cdj2000s. 

Dream Treez 0 votes

Just a thought. Wouldn't it be nice for the CDJ-2000 and RB to fully support FLAC as well?

Lots of people use FLAC instead of MP3s nowdays...

This is firmware related (mostly) and it could be added to the next firmware release of CDJ-2000 (and update of RB).

panoulix 0 votes

@Oreste & Fuse - let's say it's the files, and the ones oreste had were corrupted. Still, it doesn't explain why cheap pieces of hardware and a normal windows computer can play them without issues, whereas the CDJs can't. But then, let's say there's a reason for that.

The logical question that comes afterwards is which software we should rely on to analyze mp3s before using them??? If mp3val is the best out there but still does not detect such glitches in the files, then where should we look? How could we guarantee that an analysis yielding "OK" has not skipped over such a problem?

julienx2k2 0 votes